First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
tl;dr When they don't fix your Jeep, they are liars.

Have my Jeep into the service department for the 7th time to get something fixed. This time to fix the rear differential. The service writer says, "Oh, looks like you're coming up to your major service at 30k miles. Do you want to get that taken care of?"

Off guard, I asked, "Major service? What has to be done at 30k miles?"

"At 30k miles, all the fluids need to be changed. Brakes, transfer case, differential, coolant. Pretty much every fluid in the Jeep."

So knowing that was bullshit, I told him I'd think about it. The more I think about it, the madder I get though. Some poor schmuck is going to fall for it. Fucking dealers are trash. Lets just hope they fix my rear diff.
if your owner's manual doesn't specifically state that you should change your fluids at 30K miles then this is just a dealer cash cow. They want to stiff you with a $600 bill to make "checking" your diff worth it to them.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
if your owner's manual doesn't specifically state that you should change your fluids at 30K miles then this is just a dealer cash cow. They want to stiff you with a $600 bill to make "checking" your diff worth it to them.
The owners manual will also tell you to never service the transmission. Nobody is getting rich servicing fluids.

At 30k you should absolutely service both diffs and very likely need to flush the brake fluid. People drive around with black ass brake fluid and think it's fine. It isn't.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
The owners manual will also tell you to never service the transmission. Nobody is getting rich servicing fluids.

At 30k you should absolutely service both diffs and very likely need to flush the brake fluid. People drive around with black ass brake fluid and think it's fine. It isn't.
My wife's Honda manual clearly says to replace brake fluid and flush the system every three years. It doesn't say anything like that for other fluids. It all depends on the condition and driving style/usage type, whether you tow or not. Specifically for Jeeps, if you do any kind of tough off-roading, you should be checking the diff fluids at 15K and do a full flush at 30K if not sooner. that is just common sense! Regarding XMSN oil, most mechanics I've talked to recommend against a pressure flush of the system. They only recommend draining and topping off every 10-15K if you have hard usage. Pressure flush can dislodge debris and spray it all over the place and for older or hard used XMSN, that can cause slippage or other issues. My Honda manual doesn't state to flush XMSN oil. Dealers will gladly charge you $$$ to flush it and when it craps out, they will gladly charge you $$$$ to fix/replace it. It is really a win/win for them. :)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
My wife's Honda manual clearly says to replace brake fluid and flush the system every three years. It doesn't say anything like that for other fluids. It all depends on the condition and driving style/usage type, whether you tow or not. Specifically for Jeeps, if you do any kind of tough off-roading, you should be checking the diff fluids at 15K and do a full flush at 30K if not sooner. that is just common sense! Regarding XMSN oil, most mechanics I've talked to recommend against a pressure flush of the system. They only recommend draining and topping off every 10-15K if you have hard usage. Pressure flush can dislodge debris and spray it all over the place and for older or hard used XMSN, that can cause slippage or other issues. My Honda manual doesn't state to flush XMSN oil. Dealers will gladly charge you $$$ to flush it and when it craps out, they will gladly charge you $$$$ to fix/replace it. It is really a win/win for them. :)
It’s not a worn out Chevrolet. Flushing the fluids isn’t going to make the tranny die. ZF recommends service at 60k mile intervals.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
You needs to buy a BMW or Porshe, my neighbor owns those and all the stupid customers buy all dem soivaces', every 30K they wallet flush em, 500$ oil change for a 911, 1200$ 30K soivace' for his BMW. Difference is a BMW customer doesnt question it, a Jeep customer goes and buys a pump, 4 qts of gear oil, 2 qts ATF, 12 Pack of beer and changes the fluids himself ;)
What fluid are you replacing with the beer??

Sponsored

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Mom n pop shops or do it yourself. That’s it. Majority of dealers n jiffy lube joints are crooks. They always try to upsell. I’ve had those places try to tell me I need air filters, cabin filters, ass filters, special massages to grow hair, you name it, they’ve tried it. I finally just gave up. Even after pulling in and saying dump it n pump it they still tried to upsell. Final straw was when I sent my kid in to just get an oil change with strict instructions to just do that, they scared him into spending his hard earned money on an oil system flush. Yep. $65 + the oil change fee. 18 year old kid. They have no conscience.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
It’s not a worn out Chevrolet. Flushing the fluids isn’t going to make the tranny die. ZF recommends service at 60k mile intervals.
Yeah, I read about those ZF 9-speeds. I didn't like them since the design was very new. I remember the Jeep Cherokee launch got delayed by months due to issues with that XMSN. Honda was introducing it on the Pilot in 2016. I also read that it takes 12qt of oil @$60 each. I just wanted to stay away from that mess. Sure enough two colleagues of mine complained about their Pilots having the ZF. It wouldn't shift right and one of them had to replace the whole XMSN. I went with the middle trim that came with the more validated Honda 6-speed XMSN and saved myself a $10K and a whole lotta headache. I will read up on when I need to service that XMSN.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yeah, I read about those ZF 9-speeds. I didn't like them since the design was very new. I remember the Jeep Cherokee launch got delayed by months due to issues with that XMSN. Honda was introducing it on the Pilot in 2016. I also read that it takes 12qt of oil @$60 each. I just wanted to stay away from that mess. Sure enough two colleagues of mine complained about their Pilots having the ZF. It wouldn't shift right and one of them had to replace the whole XMSN. I went with the middle trim that came with the more validated Honda 6-speed XMSN and saved myself a $10K and a whole lotta headache. I will read up on when I need to service that XMSN.
Thats a bit dramatic, the fluid is $30 per quart, not 60.
And yea, the 9 speed transaxle is a piece of garbage. The 8 speed in the wrangler is fantastic.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Thats a bit dramatic, the fluid is $30 per quart, not 60.
And yea, the 9 speed transaxle is a piece of garbage. The 8 speed in the wrangler is fantastic.
My info was from late 2015 when I was researching my purchase. I'm glad things came down. I do agree with the 8-speed. I LOVE IT in my Chrysler 300! It has been flawless, albeit a bit sluggish. I don't have the Sport. When I drove a challenger v6, with the sport mode engaged, the engine and XMSN all came to life! I LOVED IT.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!