Sponsored

I hate Adaptive Cruise and Early Collision Warning - can they be disabled?

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
First thing I did in my JLUD was disable the Early Collision Warning. As in, completely off.

Was driving at night across a bridge, all by myself (no other cars around), and it suddenly activated and braked the Jeep from around 50mph down to 35. Scared the crap out of me and the family. I confirmed that the system was set to "off".

Then, about a week later, during daylight conditions on a regular street, it happened again. No cars in front of us, just a sudden alarm and brake.

It hasn't happened again. But, I now have a front/rear camera. If it does, I'll be taking it in for service. If it continues to happen, I'll be getting rid of the Jeep and getting one without this stuff.
Are you saying that it still occurred even when it was disabled to "Off" in the system?
Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Are you saying that it still occurred even when it was disabled to "Off" in the system?
Yup. Happened twice with it off.

Hasn't happened in about a month, so fingers are crossed.

My main problem with it is in certain situations it can CAUSE an accident. Happened in my wife's Chevy Traverse (but luckily it was just a warning - the car didn't have auto braking).

Driving in right lane with another car in the left, but slightly behind me. Big 18-wheeler behind me. Come up on a car that is making a right turn from my lane. Rather than slow down (with that rig behind me), I accelerated a bit and switched lanes to the left (plenty room in front of the car over there - I didn't cut him off). The Traverse thought I was going to hit the car making the turn - so right as I cut over to the left, it sounded the collision warning.

If it would have had braking, it would have ended up hitting the brakes right in front of that car in the left lane, making him rearend me.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Yup. Happened twice with it off.

Hasn't happened in about a month, so fingers are crossed.

My main problem with it is in certain situations it can CAUSE an accident. Happened in my wife's Chevy Traverse (but luckily it was just a warning - the car didn't have auto braking).

Driving in right lane with another car in the left, but slightly behind me. Big 18-wheeler behind me. Come up on a car that is making a right turn from my lane. Rather than slow down (with that rig behind me), I accelerated a bit and switched lanes to the left (plenty room in front of the car over there - I didn't cut him off). The Traverse thought I was going to hit the car making the turn - so right as I cut over to the left, it sounded the collision warning.

If it would have had braking, it would have ended up hitting the brakes right in front of that car in the left lane, making him rearend me.
Well that's scary.

I haven't had it happen since I disabled everything, hopefully it stays that way.

masch57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport S
Something I forgot to mention is that there is one other dimension to ordering the Advance Safety group and that is that it adds a large-ish pod behind the rear view mirror. You can actually see the difference as you select and unselect it in the build configurator if you click on the interior picture and move up in the 360 view. Some people may not want to lose that much visibility for a lesser-used feature.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
ACC annoys the shit out of me because when I’m on the highway and I set it to exactly 3 mph above the speed limit, that’s because I want to go exactly 3 mph above the speed limit. I had a rental doing this to me once until I finally figured out how to turn it off. I can see myself closing in on the car going the speed limit and navigate around him on my own, thanks. I don’t need or want to go slightly slower. So I ordered my jeep without all that crap.

Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

You can change settings in the Uconnect under a menu I think called safety and driving assistance. This shuts off forward collision. You can also use normal cruise control and not adaptive.
Thanks for this tip, god forbid I look at the manual! Those features came with my Jeep (I was in a factory buy-back situation from the death wobble) and I thought I wouldn't mind them, but I hate the automatic braking - I have had it lock up my brakes for quite literally no reason three times now, and it is scary as well. Not to mention I almost got rear-ended on one occasion, and had to graciously accept the bird and screaming as the other driver passed me, since clearly it looked like I was a lunatic that slammed on my brakes for no reason!

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I hope that I don't regret buying the advanced safety package; I purchased it based my experience with Subaru eye sight system. I like the adaptive cruise, I didn't have any problems with the eye sight applying the brakes. The Subaru driver awareness was a little annoying at first but it was right (I know Jeep doesn't have this)

I will have to say that one my friends who owns Subaru Ascent constantly complain about eye sight engaging, but he drives like a dick. I keep my mouth shut, but at least some of it is a driver issue.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
I wouldnt buy a vehicle if I was forced to buy it with ACC that could not be turned off. Absolutely the most hated option I ever experienced in over 50 years of driving. Having the vehicle in front of me determine what speed I should be traveling is total insanity.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Early Collision Warning IS THE GREATEST THING EVER ON A JEEP!!!! I just received a text from my Sahara that I'm going to be in a double fatal a week from Sunday!!

Sponsored

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I hope that I don't regret buying the advanced safety package;
I have never had ACC before on any car. I plan to travel America and have had the Jeep one month and drove it from KC -> FL. Easily one of the best add ons for me as I could not have driven as far as I did by myself. No regrets.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I have never had ACC before on any car. I plan to travel America and have had the Jeep one month and drove it from KC -> FL. Easily one of the best add ons for me as I could not have driven as far as I did by myself. No regrets.
Glad you are loving your Jeep!

How did ACC help you drive farther alone vs. without?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I hope that I don't regret buying the advanced safety package; I purchased it based my experience with Subaru eye sight system. I like the adaptive cruise, I didn't have any problems with the eye sight applying the brakes. The Subaru driver awareness was a little annoying at first but it was right (I know Jeep doesn't have this)

I will have to say that one my friends who owns Subaru Ascent constantly complain about eye sight engaging, but he drives like a dick. I keep my mouth shut, but at least some of it is a driver issue.
I’ve had mine for over 2 years and I love it.

RodNY

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I guess the ACC depends where and how you drive. Living in a congested area (NYC suburbs) where traffic slows down frequently, it’s great. If you have room to change lanes to overtake a slow car, you do and it never slows down, but that isn’t always an option. My only issue is we get a lot of cyclists in our area and it’s been a bit over sensitive to them. Our Mercedes ACC must be less sensitive because it ignores the bikes if they’re not really right in front. (Or maybe she actually wants to run them down.) Anyway, now on my second car with it and I can’t imagine going back.

One aspect in the Jeep that I don’t like: If you hit a traffic jam and it brings you to a complete stop for 2 seconds, it disengaged AND releases the brake and you start to roll. That’s too short a window and it really should hold the brake until you either accelerate or hit Resume.

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I dont have these fancy systems in the Jeep.

But my 2020 toyota camry came with them as standard. I use ACC all the time and it is outstanding. It has never ever done anything like this, I didnt have to set up anything it just works. Ive driven in both congested freeways and almost empty highways. It is a step before self driving.

The collision system has never given false warnings. Only once it warned me of a close call and it was absolutely right. It didnt get to the point of applying brakes, just a scary alarm that forced me to brake. The car in front of me slammed his brakes without notice.

Maybe stellantis needs to hire better machine learning engineers or install better quality sensors.
Sponsored