Sponsored

I hate Adaptive Cruise and Early Collision Warning - can they be disabled?

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
I ordered my Jeep with ACC based on positive experience with my wife's Tesla 3. The Jeep ACC is dramatically more aggressive. I'm hoping I get used to it, but I haven't gotten there yet. Regular cruise control feels safer for the moment.
Sponsored

ivanidea

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Occupation
IT
Having driven the Chrysler Pacifica for a year, which has the additional safety packages, and now my JL with the same packages (less features though for the same price), my observations are:

The Pacifica has the radar located in the front bumper. This position seems to work well for the ACC.

The Jeep has the sensor at the top of the windscreen, and seems to pick up vehicles in the slip road, even though they are accelerating to enter the highway. Seems to be more sensitive, but early days. May have to play with the settings to see if I can get it to work how I would prefer.

My biggest gripe is with Jeep pricing though (OK, I knew before I ordered the Jeep). Same price as other vehicles, but with fewer features (missing the 360 camera view and the front parksense). If only they included the front trail cam as part of the package.... Time to buy an addon camera for the front grill.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I finally took the time to get the Early Collision Warning disabled.

Thankfully I survived my trip to Target afterwards.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I had it on a 2017 crv it had plenty of false full stops but i was able to shut it down. The only thing i do miss is you can activate it during stop and go traffic nyc highway traffic jam it was a treat having it. But quickly found out the glass replacement when i did get a crack was going to be much more. So didn't get it for the JL since getting a crack windshield is a tradition for the wranger haha. If you cant shut it down with a button i am glad i skipped on that one.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Had a 2020 Outback prior to this JL. The safety nanny on that car drove me nuts. The lane departure warnings, the FCW, everything was just way too aggressive and just got annoying. The only thing I liked was the adaptive cruise control which I don't have on the JL. But for me, I'm glad to be rid of all the nannies and just have a vehicle that lets me drive.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
They are great tools if you understand both how they work and how to use them. Definitely takes some getting used to.

Live-AxleX2

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLXP
I absolutely HATE all the gadgetry nowadays. But the 2 gadgets I DO like are 1-touch lane change signal lights introduced some 15 years ago AND Adaptive Cruise I've experienced only in rentals and the wife's piddly Subaru with the Eye-something.
I just ordered a JLXP and no Adaptive Cruise. As with all other manufacturers, they roll it in with other unwanted gadgets for a hefty price. Further, Jeep makes you buy the Safety group 1st. Too dear now.
I'll stick with K.I.S.S thank-you.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I absolutely HATE all the gadgetry nowadays. But the 2 gadgets I DO like are 1-touch lane change signal lights introduced some 15 years ago AND Adaptive Cruise I've experienced only in rentals and the wife's piddly Subaru with the Eye-something.
I just ordered a JLXP and no Adaptive Cruise. As with all other manufacturers, they roll it in with other unwanted gadgets for a hefty price. Further, Jeep makes you buy the Safety group 1st. Too dear now.
I'll stick with K.I.S.S thank-you.
Thanks for thinking your opinion is so important that it should be all in bold.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Here is intructions to operate the vehicle with normal cruise control.

Here is a random internet picture of where you can set the forward collision warning to off or just with a beep. You can also set the sensitivity of the system.

1611588707663.jpeg
And it still works like shit. Couldn’t get rid of that fast enough. Love ACC but the other features were down right dangerous.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Mu Subaru has over 50 buttons between the dash and the steering wheel. My JL isn't far behind and probably more considering the touch screen. I'm I'm tech baby born in 1980 and only now with the newer vehicles do I feel a tad overwhelmed by all this tech.

But that's what the forums are for. There's (probably) nothing you will experience that hasn't already been discussed here.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

my wife is the ECW and im the ACC in our lowly Sport. and yes, her constant ECWs are annoying and no way to "legally" disable them.

masch57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport S
My current JL lease is almost done and I'm expecting to order both Safety and Advanced safety on my next one. We have a Mazda CX-9 and I completely love the blind spot monitoring. It is simple and unobtrusive and they should make it a federal standard like the backup cam. The adaptive cruise is a bit more iffy, but very nice at certain times. It's all optional and configurable, so why not have the tools in the box.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
My current JL lease is almost done and I'm expecting to order both Safety and Advanced safety on my next one. We have a Mazda CX-9 and I completely love the blind spot monitoring. It is simple and unobtrusive and they should make it a federal standard like the backup cam. The adaptive cruise is a bit more iffy, but very nice at certain times. It's all optional and configurable, so why not have the tools in the box.
Since I found you can disable ECW and use regular cruise, I'm a happy camper.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
First thing I did in my JLUD was disable the Early Collision Warning. As in, completely off.

Was driving at night across a bridge, all by myself (no other cars around), and it suddenly activated and braked the Jeep from around 50mph down to 35. Scared the crap out of me and the family. I confirmed that the system was set to "off".

Then, about a week later, during daylight conditions on a regular street, it happened again. No cars in front of us, just a sudden alarm and brake.

It hasn't happened again. But, I now have a front/rear camera. If it does, I'll be taking it in for service. If it continues to happen, I'll be getting rid of the Jeep and getting one without this stuff.
Sponsored