Sponsored

I hate Adaptive Cruise and Early Collision Warning - can they be disabled?

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I'm must be in the minority. I have both safety packages and like them. Twice, I've gotten a forward collision warning when I was coming up (too fast, apparently) on someone turning right, but never any braking. The ACC, backup warning, and lane change are completely error-free - not that the forward collision warning was a false alarm, it wasn't.

The bigger question is, how did you end up with them on your Jeep? If the answer is "I bought off the lot", you might want to consider ordering next time. You'll generally get a bigger discount, and...you'll get exactly what so want.

I remember when anti-lock braking came out 30 years ago. There was a similar level of angst ("I can brake way better than a computer!"), but that didn't last very long.
Never had a vehicle with it but I did order it with my JLUR. I have not been in an accident in 20 years (not at fault) and one speeding ticket in 23 years (7MPH over the speed limit) other than that my driving record is immaculate and I have been driving a DOT for 15 years and drive on average 700 miles/week.

I don't expect it to take over or do the work for me, but more as a just in case something happens scenario.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Never had a vehicle with it but I did order it with my JLUR. I have not been in an accident in 20 years (not at fault) and one speeding ticket in 23 years (7MPH over the speed limit) other than that my driving record is immaculate and I have been driving a DOT for 15 years and drive on average 700 miles/week.

I don't expect it to take over or do the work for me, but more as a just in case something happens scenario.
Congrats on the order, I know you can't wait for it to arrive.

After you get it, drive it for a few hundred miles and let us know what you think of it if you don't mind.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Then buy a Sport, or a base Rubicon or Sahara. They don't have any of those options. Seems to me you paid for a lot of technology that you don't like/want. Can't believe you bought a vehicle that tells you someone is in your Blind Spot when you can just turn your head and look. Or one that alerts you to side traffic when you're backing out of a parking spot. Especially when you can just back out slowly and watch. All that stuff is horrible, and you can drive yourself.
"... tells you someone is in your Blind Spot when you can just turn your head and look?" That's why they call it a blind spot, you often can't see a car there in your mirrors or by turning your head! Even running with no doors or top, the driver's side pillar is hard to see past. Maybe I'm just old! I HATE the collision warning system, it's locked my brakes up twice when nobody was anywhere near me, both times in the rain once at highway speeds. So I would have a way to turn it on or off, it can be a great safety benefit or a huge safety risk, in my personal opinion. Like every other new electronic implementation in the Jeep, it is janky at best. I've just accepted that my radio turns itself off repeatedly, but only on random days. It's a Jeep thing!

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Congrats on the order, I know you can't wait for it to arrive.

After you get it, drive it for a few hundred miles and let us know what you think of it if you don't mind.
Thank you, been a month and no updates.

Figured if I don't like it I can turn it off. Will respond here once it arrives and I get a feel for it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
"... tells you someone is in your Blind Spot when you can just turn your head and look?" That's why they call it a blind spot, you often can't see a car there in your mirrors or by turning your head!
I also laugh about that one. But better still is "I don't need safety devices, I just pay attention". Famous last words - and....I do mean last.

We're human. EVERYONE has occasional lapses in attention.

Sponsored

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I for one trust my own ability to drive, that being said I have in other posts tell how I disable this happy crap , ABS and Traction control. It will be one of the first things I do is turn OFF all that crap when I get my new 392!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I for one trust my own ability to drive, that being said I have in other posts tell how I disable this happy crap , ABS and Traction control. It will be one of the first things I do is turn OFF all that crap when I get my new 392!
Like I said in post #35, everyone thinks that they pay attention.....until they don't. That said, the two things every American male thinks they excel in: driving and sex. :)

And, for God's sake, don't turn off the traction control on your 392, or least post the video of you leaving the Cars & Coffee event. Hopefully, without the usual results.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Disabling ABS and traction for everyday, on-road driving? I'm glad you're on the other side of the country from me.

The arrogance on this forum really is astounding.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Man I have to say that I appreciate ABS a lot, it is extremely useful. Traction control has it's place, and it seems like a 392 Hemi powered Wrangler would be a great place for it. My humble opinion.

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
I've been using early versions of this technology since 2012 and it gets better each year. I like the 'cross-traffic' detection when backing out blindly out of a parking spot (ok Jeeps are high but there is always a lifted SUV or PU that can still block a driver's backup view and the rear camera cannot see 180-degrees both ways). Blind spot detection sometimes triggers when I am signaling a turn to let drivers know my intention and the vehicle is still in the path, but even with some of the annoyances of false alerts I think if this tech can save you from one crash it is worth it. All of this stuff can be disabled and on newer ones like my Grand Cherokee and now the JLU, there are options to pick on the uConnect to set different levels of 'interference'. I find that when I drive other cars without this tech I miss it. Now that I have a 15 y.o. starting to drive, this tech is a requirement in a new vehicle purchase.

P.S. in a 2014 Mercedes I put on a hitch bike rack loaded with three bikes and there was a situation where I was changing lanes with a far away vehicle approaching from behind that triggered a dangerous 'computer panic' application of the brakes on the highway at speed that caused slowing down and shuddering of the vehicle as I believe the computer thought I was about to be rear-ended [by the bike rack]. I just turned off all of the safety nannies during that trip. Funny thing is this has never happened with the later JGC using the same hitch and bikes that has similar technology. It does setoff both vehicles park sensors in reverse and if I made a jack-rabbit backup in the Jeep it would probably slam the brakes as well with pre-safe rear braking LOL. Like all tech, it gets better with age. There may even be a good chance that the car manufacturers license this tech from the same company but not sure about that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I had no idea this thread would become as contested as it is.

I like most of the safety features on the Jeep, just not the ACC or ECW. If the Jeep didn't (on more than one occasion) do things that I perceive as potentially hazardous to my health and others in the last 2k miles of ownership I wouldn't be talking about them, but that is unfortunately not the case for me.

I'm not the world's best driver, but I do want to be in control.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I also laugh about that one. But better still is "I don't need safety devices, I just pay attention". Famous last words - and....I do mean last.

We're human. EVERYONE has occasional lapses in attention.
What are you talking about? milenials maybe. Boomers don't have occasional lapses in attention.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
There are two manuals. There is the Jeep manual and the uconnect manual. Before I bought my Jeep, I downloaded both manuals and read both.

I took Jeeps test driving from a few dealers. One time all I did was pull over and go through the options in the instrument panel and the options in uconnect.

By the time I got my Jeep I knew it all.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Not sure if I brought enough pedestals for some people here, or maybe we can just get a couple of rulers for the measuring contest?

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
When I first got my Rubicon with ACC and FCW I didn’t like it much but once I used it a while and figured out it’s nuances I use it all the time. Glad I got it especially on long road trips.
Sponsored