I Had No Idea!

Hammerton

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Been driving around for some time in my new Rubi. One pet peeve - how could they not put radio controls on the steering wheel? Pain the A$$ fumbling with the actual radio. Then today completely by accident I found the 6 buttons on the back of the steering wheel that control the radio! No one told me! Life is good.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Been driving around for some time in my new Rubi. One pet peeve - how could they not put radio controls on the steering wheel? Pain the A$$ fumbling with the actual radio. Then today completely by accident I found the 6 buttons on the back of the steering wheel that control the radio! No one told me! Life is good.
They should print all this stuff out and put it in a book form. Maybe put a copy in the glove box.:facepalm:

17FreedomChief

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Freedom Edition in Chief
They should print all this stuff out and put it in a book form. Maybe put a copy in the glove box.:facepalm:
Should have received what’s basically a quick start guide with the rest of your manuals when you purchased the Jeep. I’ve gotten them for both my 17 JKU and the 18 Renegade.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Jon: believe me that I appreciate how so many of us have so much going on that glancing through, let alone reading the owner's manual can't be a priority. But if you can find the time, you may find even more things you didn't know about that you can not only enjoy, but whose knowledge might be really important someday.

Maybe you have read the manual, only on the important stuff that secondary radio buttons are not.

In fairness, my salesperson did inform me of this.

Let me give you a teaser, there may be a really important hidden lever for you to know about and pull if you plan on bringing the rig to a car wash that pulls the vehicle through without you in it. If you think putting the rig in neutral will keep it there when you exit, it won't. Your rig will be dragged through the wash.

I'm thrilled to point you to this 411, also in the manual (but more obtusely than the steering wheel radio buttons) if you don't know.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, Punk'n
LOL, thanks for sharing. Probably the only reason why I knew about the nubbies on the back of the steering wheel is because my parents have had multiple Chrysler Town and Countrys and I can't keep my hands still.

Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Jon: believe me that I appreciate how so many of us have so much going on that glancing through, let alone reading the owner's manual can't be a priority. But if you can find the time, you may find even more things you didn't know about that you can not only enjoy, but whose knowledge might be really important someday.

Maybe you have read the manual, only on the important stuff that secondary radio buttons are not.

In fairness, my salesperson did inform me of this.

Let me give you a teaser, there may be a really important hidden lever for you to know about and pull if you plan on bringing the rig to a car wash that pulls the vehicle through without you in it. If you think putting the rig in neutral will keep it there when you exit, it won't. Your rig will be dragged through the wash.

I'm thrilled to point you to this 411, also in the manual (but more obtusely than the steering wheel radio buttons) if you don't know.
Too bad that people have 50k to spend on a vehicle but do not have 10 minutes to look at the manual. No one is too busy to open a book. We even have the internet now.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Too bad that people have 50k to spend on a vehicle but do not have 10 minutes to look at the manual. No one is too busy to open a book. We even have the internet now.
Hahahahahahahahahahah !!!!

But still, it takes too long to search.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Such a n00b you are, get with the program!

Joking, but anyway your dealer should have been showing you some of this stuff. In my case though, I knew more about my new Jeep than my salesman did. He even admitted it to me and wanted me to show him what all the controls were for since I traded a JK for my JL and knew my way around a Wrangler.

Enjoy your newfound controls, they work great.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I agree that reading manuals, particularly vehicle manuals, and particularly a Wrangler manual--and while I'm at it, the manual for any piece of equipment that has a fair chance of seriously injuring or killing an (ignorant) operator is important.

I'm also a pragmatist and realize that simply because I say so, doesn't mean that people will do what I say.

OP: well discussed on the forum, prudence would suggest that if I bring up the "automatic car wash drag due to autopark feature," initially established as a tease to motivate you to read the manual, that with this topic's introduction came some degree of responsibility to inform you of same in case you are unaware:

Sponsored

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
I love where the controls are mounted. I find when I'm driving another car my hands always go to the back of the steering wheel to adjust the volume or station because they're just so intuitive.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I agree that reading manuals, particularly vehicle manuals, and particularly a Wrangler manual--and while I'm at it, the manual for any piece of equipment that has a fair chance of seriously injuring or killing an (ignorant) operator is important.

I'm also a pragmatist and realize that simply because I say so, doesn't mean that people will do what I say.

OP: well discussed on the forum, prudence would suggest that if I bring up the "automatic car wash drag due to autopark feature," initially established as a tease to motivate you to read the manual, that with this topic's introduction came some degree of responsibility to inform you of same in case you are unaware:

First words on the video: "The 2018 Jeep Wrangler is now standard with an electronic 8 speed transmission". LOL, so not true - or else Jeep owes a whole LOT of people $2K each! Other than that very informative in showing the detail of the operation. Sheesh, I don't much care about ESS or a lot of the other things people gripe about on this forum but THAT feature right there, for me, is definitely something that would make getting an aftermarket programmer that can disable it worthwhile. Yeah, I know Jeep had problems earlier with the GC and stuff but that, IMO, was more the result of the stupid rotary dial than it was the tranny itself. Again, just my opinion, but going back to a more traditional console shifter makes this "feature" seem like overkill.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I love where the controls are mounted. I find when I'm driving another car my hands always go to the back of the steering wheel to adjust the volume or station because they're just so intuitive.
It took me a while to get used to the location of the buttons, especially on the left side. I understand the safety concerns, convenience, & the strategic location, but I drive manuals and I'm constantly sliding my left hand up & down the wheel... In my JL, I keep hitting the top button & I'm always surprised when my iPhone changes to the next song or podcast (the problem isn't the buttons... it's me). I don't like them behind the wheel, or at all. I have a 911 with nothing on the wheel but the horn, & an M3 with buttons & controls that I don't use. I guess I'm more of a purist...and a native Staten Islander!

OP
OP

Hammerton

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon

Ya so I read manual and much like I thought, no earth shattering revelations in there. Definitely nothing that would save my life (Holy melodramatic!). Just some buttons I didn't realize were there until I did, not a big deal. I drive stick so the neutral drama is not mine either. Maybe I'm "ignorant" but gas on the right brake on the left ya? I got it. I'll be fine.

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
It took me a while to get used to the location of the buttons, especially on the left side. I understand the safety concerns, convenience, & the strategic location, but I drive manuals and I'm constantly sliding my left hand up & down the wheel... In my JL, I keep hitting the top button & I'm always surprised when my iPhone changes to the next song or podcast (the problem isn't the buttons... it's me). I don't like them behind the wheel, or at all. I have a 911 with nothing on the wheel but the horn, & an M3 with buttons & controls that I don't use. I guess I'm more of a purist...and a native Staten Islander!
I’m a Long Islander! Both Staten Islanders and Long Islanders say they live “on the island.” But only one of us is right ;)
Sponsored