Sponsored

I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Wow! This is good to know and I’ll keep an eye out. How did the repairs turn out? Was there noticeable issues? I’m a little nervous about things not looking right, but this shop was recommended by Progressive. I visited the website, says they’ve been in business for 30 years and family ran With ICAR Gold certified technicians.

Who knows, it will be a nice sigh of relief when this is over with. I think I learned my lesson to be careful, did not expect a love tap to buckle my pillar.
7 years later in the Florida sun and it looks perfect, the paint looks the same as the rest of the Odyssey. None of the body filler has chipped or detached from the fender. I raised a stink wanting the family grocery getter to be perfect, and so far it was for naught.

I made them give me a few hundred bones as diminished value, to give myself a little victory. :) Hardly matters anymore with 7 years and 95,000mi. on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
7 years later in the Florida sun and it looks perfect, the paint looks the same as the rest of the Odyssey. None of the body filler has chipped or detached from the fender. I raised a stink wanting the family grocery getter to be perfect, and so far it was for naught.

I made them give me a few hundred bones as diminished value, to give myself a little victory. :) Hardly matters anymore with 7 years and 95,000mi. on it.
Wow that’s great!

I don’t know if I should use the Progressive recommended body shop, or just go with one that’s right down the street from my home and has good reviews.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I like the plastidip.

If you do go bed liner and want a spray application look at raptor liner. I did it to my dodge after a piece of rebar popped up and put a nice dent in the door.

72EFE405-08B6-4D99-AF53-C7B0E45B45C7.jpeg
That turned out really nice, purposeful as well. Rams are great.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Wow that’s great!

I don’t know if I should use the Progressive recommended body shop, or just go with one that’s right down the street from my home and has good reviews.
I would totally go with someone you trust, if you trust their recommended shop then go for it. If you go with their "recommended shop" and progressive may guarantee the work. Personal experience and recommendations from friends are best.

If you trust your local dealership they have much more experience in Jeep repair or could recommend a shop that they use if they don't do body work in-house. If you're going all out and using insurance, make sure you are perfectly happy with what you get.

Keep in mind, I'm in Florida and your results may vary.

Edit: PS. I see that you're from Oak Harbor, WA after you write the $1,000 check swing by Flyers for a beer or take your fixed up Jeep down to Toby's and get some Penn Cove Mussels.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The repair estimate sounds right. I would go ahead and do it since this is such a new vehicle that you are still making payments on. Your loan paperwork may even state that you are required to have repairs done as long as there is a lien.

I would go ahead and do it. Lesson learned. You won't try such an extreme trail again, and your Jeep will be good as new and on the road for years to come.

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Safeco.

From my policy.

The following is not covered. This is the only thing in my entire policy that is even close to the related topic of is your vehicle covered off road.

4. Any vehicle while it is:

a. operating on a surface designed or used for racing, except for an organized and controlled event that is not a speed, performance, stunt or demolition event;

b. participating in a high performance driving or racing instruction course or school; or

c. preparing for, practicing for, used in, or competing in any prearranged ororganized:(1)race activity; or(2)speed, performance, stunt, or demolition contest or exhibition.This exclusion only applies to the extent that the limits of liability for this coverage exceed the minimum limits required by the Michigan Financial Responsibility Act.L IMITOFLIABILITYA .If your PolicyDeclarations indicates “per person”/“per accident” coverage applies:The limit of liability as shown in your PolicyDeclarations for“each person” for Bodily Injury Liability is ou rmaximum limitof liability for all damages, including damages for care and loss of services (including loss of****REPRINTED FROM THE ARCHIVE. THE ORIGINAL TRANSACTION MAY INCLUDE ADDITIONALFORMS****

Also while talking with my Insurance agent. Note my insurance agent is a 20+ year friend and has been an insurance agent basically his whole adult life. This is what he said bout off road. If your not on the road, everything else is off road. Parking lot... Off road, your driveway.... off road, park in your yard.... you got it.... off road. He said that legally, it is almost impossible to legally define what is off road vs what is OFF ROAD as we think about it. He stated that there could easily be thousands and thousands of interpretations.

So my question to you guys is how does your insurance company determine the difference in off road. Do you have to be 20 feet off the road, or a mile off the road? Where does off road begin or end.
Thank you for the above.👍

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'd sort out the hard top so it doesn't leak - buy used, or get it fixed by someone who specializes in fiberglass (boat guys)

For the metal damage as long as you ensure it won't corrode/rust out (so perhaps clear coat where exposed) then just live with it. It's likely not the last adventure with the Jeep.

You are using the Jeep for what it was intended and not some wannabe with all the trick parts to drive to the mall and back and the occasional mud puddle. Jeeps are like a good pair of jeans or boots - they get better with use. Kudos to you for using it as such.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Safeco.

From my policy.

The following is not covered. This is the only thing in my entire policy that is even close to the related topic of is your vehicle covered off road.

4. Any vehicle while it is:

a. operating on a surface designed or used for racing, except for an organized and controlled event that is not a speed, performance, stunt or demolition event;

b. participating in a high performance driving or racing instruction course or school; or

c. preparing for, practicing for, used in, or competing in any prearranged ororganized:(1)race activity; or(2)speed, performance, stunt, or demolition contest or exhibition.This exclusion only applies to the extent that the limits of liability for this coverage exceed the minimum limits required by the Michigan Financial Responsibility Act.L IMITOFLIABILITYA .If your PolicyDeclarations indicates “per person”/“per accident” coverage applies:The limit of liability as shown in your PolicyDeclarations for“each person” for Bodily Injury Liability is ou rmaximum limitof liability for all damages, including damages for care and loss of services (including loss of****REPRINTED FROM THE ARCHIVE. THE ORIGINAL TRANSACTION MAY INCLUDE ADDITIONALFORMS****

Also while talking with my Insurance agent. Note my insurance agent is a 20+ year friend and has been an insurance agent basically his whole adult life. This is what he said bout off road. If your not on the road, everything else is off road. Parking lot... Off road, your driveway.... off road, park in your yard.... you got it.... off road. He said that legally, it is almost impossible to legally define what is off road vs what is OFF ROAD as we think about it. He stated that there could easily be thousands and thousands of interpretations.

So my question to you guys is how does your insurance company determine the difference in off road. Do you have to be 20 feet off the road, or a mile off the road? Where does off road begin or end.
Similar story - insurance agent said they can not define off-road and can not use dirt-road or dirt-trail as a definition as we still have quite some of those in the country and it would be bad for business to loose the "farm" accounts.

So easy to write language around racing, speed trials, etc, but off-road is impossible language to properly define.

But again, to the OP, enjoy the Jeep. Anyone who uses it will get it dinged and bashed. I have a nasty gash from Crawl Daddy. I'm not fixing it as it's a memory of the fun that was had with my son doing that trail, and as long as we continue to enjoy the Jeep another scratch or gash is most likely guaranteed.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is exactly what happened to me on the rubicon trail. I had the dealership smooth off the hinges, repair the rocker panel and repaint for $850CAD. I did have some creases in the rear door but no scratches thanks to PPF. They had a guy come in and used special tools to just push out the creases which worked perfecty. That was an extra $250. I did have to replace the PPF on the door for another $500.
i still have the same dent in the bpilller as you do and now I don’t ever notice it.
Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds image

pic showing the bpiller dent only. i had my factory doors on when I did the damage. Also, you should probably notice that the top of your rear door sticks out more than normal. That is because your lower hinge is pushed in a bit. What I ended up doing is slotting the holes in the hinge and pulling it out a bit.

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
One thing you definitely want to look for in a shop is one that is certified in aluminum body repairs.

I wouldn’t worry about getting repairs done. If the shop does it right and warranties it. I had almost 7k in hail damage on my truck but when it came out of the shop you couldn’t tell. Same with the wife’s van at the time. Traded the van a few months later and got full value for it.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I would totally go with someone you trust, if you trust their recommended shop then go for it. If you go with their "recommended shop" and progressive may guarantee the work. Personal experience and recommendations from friends are best.

If you trust your local dealership they have much more experience in Jeep repair or could recommend a shop that they use if they don't do body work in-house. If you're going all out and using insurance, make sure you are perfectly happy with what you get.

Keep in mind, I'm in Florida and your results may vary.

Edit: PS. I see that you're from Oak Harbor, WA after you write the $1,000 check swing by Flyers for a beer or take your fixed up Jeep down to Toby's and get some Penn Cove Mussels.
Sounds like a plan! I'll be new to the Oak Harbor area, moving there for work. That adds the extra bit of reason why I don't know the auto shops up there. I'll stick with the progressive guaranteed one just to play it safe.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Sorry to repeat this but... please be careful about any insurance advice on a forum, since my last post I see more of the same. Some truths, some partial truths and some out there ideas

Food for thought...

Option B - take the money and do your own repairs or no repairs if you want. Just know they won’t be guaranteed by a shop and will diminish the value of your vehicle more than a qualified repair at a shop. Since you said you plan to keep it a long time, might not matter. Also, know a shop doing the work will also mean if additional damage is found (likely) they will submit a supplement to the claim and if related it will be covered

last thing on choosing a shop. If you have one you have an actual preference for or tie to, use them. Otherwise there are lots of benefits to using a shop backed by the insurance co. You typically get a warranty by the shop AND the insurance company. Think about what you’ll do with a shop only warranty at a shop you pick if you move across the country, or if they go out of business. Also, don’t assume a dealership has a body shop, while some do, most do not and subcontract out their work.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
This is exactly what happened to me on the rubicon trail. I had the dealership smooth off the hinges, repair the rocker panel and repaint for $850CAD. I did have some creases in the rear door but no scratches thanks to PPF. They had a guy come in and used special tools to just push out the creases which worked perfecty. That was an extra $250. I did have to replace the PPF on the door for another $500.
i still have the same dent in the bpilller as you do and now I don’t ever notice it.
image.jpg

pic showing the bpiller dent only. i had my factory doors on when I did the damage. Also, you should probably notice that the top of your rear door sticks out more than normal. That is because your lower hinge is pushed in a bit. What I ended up doing is slotting the holes in the hinge and pulling it out a bit.
Wow this is incredible, we have the exact same pillar fold. Yours isn't noticeable, I've just been staring at mine for so long it's all I see. I think we found the weak spot on the body, we're like the early gene pigs just testing things out I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Love your tube doors by the way. :like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
One thing you definitely want to look for in a shop is one that is certified in aluminum body repairs.

I wouldn’t worry about getting repairs done. If the shop does it right and warranties it. I had almost 7k in hail damage on my truck but when it came out of the shop you couldn’t tell. Same with the wife’s van at the time. Traded the van a few months later and got full value for it.
That's good to know you have positive experience. Here's the shop they're recommending, not much information on the site. https://nw-autobody.com
Sponsored