jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
here you go.....took the liberty to spruce it up a bit for you.......
73635DF9-AD0E-4671-85C1-CA7B5002BCE9_1_201_a.jpeg
752C5D38-5B4A-41B6-B5D8-A4165E96E4FD_1_201_a.jpeg
I like the fake halfdoors! Im not crazy about the red pinstripe Lol. That blue though, that blue might work. I dont think id ever get the line as straight as you did though. 🤪
Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
now im thinking about doing these for the window so i dont have to deal with glass 🤔
29EE3684-F0C6-451A-8C76-406537AEC52F.png
That's not a totally crazy idea. Do those windows really contribute to visibility on the road? Visibility in this thing is pretty sketchy to be honest. I have to be a lot more careful about blind spots. I doubt those rear windows actually make a damn though, and they're something to break.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Your insurance will cover the repairs. You own a trail rated Jeep, and you were using it for its intended purpose. This is why you have a trail rated badge on the side of your Jeep. Your Jeep is per the manufacturer built to be driven on the trail.

I have two friends that have recently rolled their Jeeps over. Both of them, the insurance paid to have them fixed with zero hassle. The only time your Jeep will not be covered is if you enter a timed racing event. There is different insurance for that type of use.

You already messed up the Jeep, the Jeep can be fixed. This is one of those times where you say fuck it and don't let it ruin a good time. Pay your deductible, and hope you don't get something totally lame to drive while your Jeep is getting fixed.

In my circle, we call this the cost of wheeling.
Can I ask who your insurance carrier is?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Can I ask who your insurance carrier is?
Safeco.

From my policy.

The following is not covered. This is the only thing in my entire policy that is even close to the related topic of is your vehicle covered off road.

4. Any vehicle while it is:

a. operating on a surface designed or used for racing, except for an organized and controlled event that is not a speed, performance, stunt or demolition event;

b. participating in a high performance driving or racing instruction course or school; or

c. preparing for, practicing for, used in, or competing in any prearranged ororganized:(1)race activity; or(2)speed, performance, stunt, or demolition contest or exhibition.This exclusion only applies to the extent that the limits of liability for this coverage exceed the minimum limits required by the Michigan Financial Responsibility Act.L IMITOFLIABILITYA .If your PolicyDeclarations indicates “per person”/“per accident” coverage applies:The limit of liability as shown in your PolicyDeclarations for“each person” for Bodily Injury Liability is ou rmaximum limitof liability for all damages, including damages for care and loss of services (including loss of****REPRINTED FROM THE ARCHIVE. THE ORIGINAL TRANSACTION MAY INCLUDE ADDITIONALFORMS****

Also while talking with my Insurance agent. Note my insurance agent is a 20+ year friend and has been an insurance agent basically his whole adult life. This is what he said bout off road. If your not on the road, everything else is off road. Parking lot... Off road, your driveway.... off road, park in your yard.... you got it.... off road. He said that legally, it is almost impossible to legally define what is off road vs what is OFF ROAD as we think about it. He stated that there could easily be thousands and thousands of interpretations.

So my question to you guys is how does your insurance company determine the difference in off road. Do you have to be 20 feet off the road, or a mile off the road? Where does off road begin or end.

Sponsored

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
A few of you seemed to like it, so i went ahead and did the driver side as well.

I used purell on a paper towel to get any over spray that dried, came right off

@Chaosmtb was totally right! Took the tape off while it was still wet and got way cleaner lines on the driver side. Thanks for that heads up!!

Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds 1621322669583
Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds 1621322669583
Don't like it, LOVE IT. That looks great with the black wheels and top.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I applaud the OP for trying to be creative and keep his new found insurance savings. I remember rubbing up the back bumper of my 2002 Civic in 2005 pretty bad when I was 26. I did what I could with touch-up paint and kept my insurance discount. Still have the car and my homemade repair is still there. I'll admit the OP's work is much more creative than mine was.

Thanks for showing us the progress of your repair, I hope that your Jeep will give you many years of use and fun.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I just want to give you all an update.

i like the progress ive been making on the repairs, but i was finally able to get into an auto body shop just for another set of eyes and estimate. All together we’re looking at $5-6k for the body damage.

Progressive is ready to go with the claim if i pull the trigger. Auto body shop is saying the $1000 deductible i have is a no brainer for this amount of damage. I also realize they’re in the business to get me as a customer.

The auto body tech described the repairs as a complete passenger side pillar and rocker panel removal and reinstall, with the new paint application. The pillar is in-fact buckled up. Auto body doesnt want to mess with trying to pull it back to place. They want to order 3 total fenders, a new front and rear bumper, 2 exterior mirrors, new front passenger door (rear door would stay the same). All the door hinges passenger side would be replaced.

They’d cut me a check for the hardtop, unrelated to the body damage.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

i like the progress ive been making on the repairs, but i was finally able to get into an auto body shop just for another set of eyes and estimate. All together we’re looking at $5-6k for the body damage.

Progressive is ready to go with the claim if i pull the trigger. Auto body shop is saying the $1000 deductible i have is a no brainer for this amount of damage. I also realize they’re in the business to get me as a customer.

The auto body tech described the repairs as a complete passenger side pillar and rocker panel removal and reinstall, with the new paint application. The pillar is in-fact buckled up. Auto body doesnt want to mess with trying to pull it back to place. They want to order 3 total fenders, a new front and rear bumper, 2 exterior mirrors, new front passenger door (rear door would stay the same). All the door hinges passenger side would be replaced.

They’d cut me a check for the hardtop, unrelated to the body damage.

What do you all think?
What are you going to do with the old top? I would be interested in the freedom panels maybe.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic

Bummer, I guess it turned out to be more than you thought. I still appreciate you sharing your story and pictures of your work.

Keep in mind that the insurance company's adjuster may not replace all that the body shop recommends. Somebody sideswiped my wife's fender on a brand new Odyssey while it was parked and nobody was in it. I fought the at fault drivers insurance company tooth and nail for a new fender but there was no way I could get them to replace it new, instead they repaired it. The insurance company is going to do their level best to reduce the value of the claim and a lot of states have laws that protect insurance companies.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Keep in mind that the insurance company's adjuster may not replace all that the body shop recommends. Somebody sideswiped my wife's fender on a brand new Odyssey while it was parked and nobody was in it. I fought the at fault drivers insurance company tooth and nail for a new fender but there was no way I could get them to replace it new, instead they repaired it. The insurance company is going to do their level best to reduce the value of the claim and a lot of states have laws that protect insurance companies.
Wow! This is good to know and I’ll keep an eye out. How did the repairs turn out? Was there noticeable issues? I’m a little nervous about things not looking right, but this shop was recommended by Progressive. I visited the website, says they’ve been in business for 30 years and family ran With ICAR Gold certified technicians.

Who knows, it will be a nice sigh of relief when this is over with. I think I learned my lesson to be careful, did not expect a love tap to buckle my pillar.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I like the plastidip.

If you do go bed liner and want a spray application look at raptor liner. I did it to my dodge after a piece of rebar popped up and put a nice dent in the door.

72EFE405-08B6-4D99-AF53-C7B0E45B45C7.jpeg
Sponsored