I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
im about to give this a try. Im going to start with the door and see if i do well, then move to the rocker if im confident in my ability. Worst case i mess up the door, its already messed up anyway. 🤷🏼‍♂️

if anyone has pointers please chime in.

i figured its a good investment to keep some of these materials around for future trail damage. My goal is to get it sealed for now so the metal wont rust.

D822F205-552E-4304-A1CB-F58FC4276E16.jpeg
That’s going to look like crap. There are a number of vendors who put together DIY paint kits that include primer, color coat, clear coat, and a blending agent. I used such a system on a Hyundai Genesis bumper - I would give it a c+. Don’t waste your time on a one coat generic color....it will look worse than amateurish.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So, i know some were saying to go the insurance route. Being raised a hand on do it yourself mentality, i started diving into the repairs. My deductible for insurance is $1000 and for that price im halfway to a premium tan soft top or i could get a steel stubby front and fender delete. I really dont want anything on this vehicles record. Id rather have some scars than some repairs in the vehicle history.
Thank you all for the input and ill keep you posted with repairs
61D67AF7-2D36-4E64-8379-7BC270107F49.jpeg
A5E685EB-77AD-4246-9C6C-4B2BD613C013.jpeg
1ABD82C0-85FB-40C4-8235-38BDBFB9FBEE.jpeg
You glued the mirror? I hope you dont try and sell the jeep after these "fixes" 😂.

Did you ask a shop for quotes? would be a good idea to know in case youre not happy with your repairs and cant go the insurance route anymore.

You can always buy a new door in the future anyway. Maybe half doors!. Nothing to lose trying to fix it yourself. You can also wrap the Jeep instead of painting it. Keep us posted.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
buy the dudes hard top for $1000 and just leave the battle scars on the rocker and doors

otherwise just call insurance and get it done right....buying stuff at pep boys to fix it is just gonna make it worse

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
You can always buy a new door in the future anyway. Maybe half doors!. Nothing to lose trying to fix it yourself. You can also wrap the Jeep instead of painting it. Keep us posted.
Yeah! Those are all great ideas and i have really liked the idea of doing half doors permanently.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Going through insurance is actually not a bad idea either now that I think about it. You can buy that top for $1000. Insurance will cut you a check for a new one which will cover the deductible. The money for the bumper will cover a nicer metal after market. If you have a clean record your rate may not go up that much. You can always shop around and get a better insurance deal too. 3 years go by fast.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I know some of you guys are about to cringe, but i got it to where im content with taking this 1500 mile trip to PNW. Once im up there i can talk to some shops, i know theres a whole bunch of custom jeep shops up there.

so i sanded down and got the parts filled in to make it level. Then covered it with the paint. I bought this jeep knowing ill never sell it. Im just really thankful my door still works and the damage isnt effecting drivability.

thank you all for the advice. My main reason for trying to avoid insurance is because i had an accident 5 years ago that made my premium go up, it took 5 years for it to drop off my record and about 6 months ago my premium finally got super affordable.

and yes, im keeping this jeep forever. this is my fiest one and I bought it knowing itll never be resold. When the motor dies its getting another one. I may own many other vehicles, but this jeep will always be in the side yard. I had fun and i want to do every jeep badge with her.

i wanted to take these with the sunlight, but its been a long day.

Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds 0FE0FFF5-765C-4B23-BBF5-BB2779DDBED1
Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds EDF2AC6A-0914-40DD-8FE5-BB2C2FC70828
Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds FB36D91E-015F-4A6F-A1EC-15F276BC8B00

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
yeah... need a lot more sanding and use the proper matching paint canister from jeep. I wish I had pictures when I did it with my XJ. It took me abou 2 full days. And I touched it up a few times. You need to increase the working area by quite a bit too around the dent.

I managed to get mine perfectly level and you could barely tell. But it was always kinda dull. It isnt worth it.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
yeah... need a lot more sanding and use the proper matching paint canister from jeep. I wish I had pictures when I did it with my XJ. It took me abou 2 full days. And I touched it up a few times. You need to increase the working area by quite a bit too around the dent.

I managed to get mine perfectly level and you could barely tell. But it was always kinda dull. It isnt worth it.
Oh yeah for sure! Thats not done with, just let it sit for now and ill figure it out later. Wanted to mostly get it sealed up i didnt like exposed metal just sitting there. Still gotta cover up the exposed metal on the door hinge.

i figured worst case scenario if i go to a body shop later we’ll just sand out the bondo and go from there. Depending on how a body shop would handle this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Just got off the phone with Progressive, they're assigning me a rep tomorrow.

The claim isn't officially submitted, just reaching out to see how they'd handle this.

I'll keep you all posted.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If your going to off road in super difficult areas you might want to get yourself something you don’t need to fix...like an old TJ. Trashing a brand new Jeep seems like a total waste unless you’re a trust fund baby...

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I was trying to do Pinyon Mountain Trail and i smashed my hardtop and put a nice scrape down my passenger door.
does anyone have advice on the best way to get this fixed? Id prefer to fix it myself.
Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds FB36D91E-015F-4A6F-A1EC-15F276BC8B00

Best bet is to get a new hard top, New bumper, fender... any plastic piece that is damaged really and get quotes from a body shop. The top being that damaged is not worth fixing. You can order just the rear shell itself. That body damage though.... That is going to be ALOT of money. Or you wear it as a badge of honor.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Back before I joined the Army I was out wheeling pretty much every weekend. There was a guy in our group that had a bunch of bandaids made in different sizes. If you got some trail damage he would run up and slap it on. I think that is the best solution here.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sucks about the damage but major props to you bro! I would never go near that trail even in my stock rubicon!
Sponsored