I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I'm sorry man. Glad you're ok. For the damage.... That's extensive. Probably multiple thousands. If you're asking how to best DIY all that, I'm afraid that's clue enough that you're out of your comfort zone and need to take it to a shop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
read your policy before calling, some policies state that off-roading/racing/etc events aren't covered.
I have progressive right now and it says comprehensive and collateral, I would like to give them a call just for information.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Get a look at it in good light. But then it depends on what your goals are. If you want "back to new, never happened" thats a multi thousand dollar bill. 5k or so.

But if you just want your jeep cleaned up and driveable, shop a used replacement top, and learn to use body filler and touch up paint on the rough spots. Replace the clearance light and leave the scratched plastic fender and bumper alone.

Then you are out the cost of a used top plus a weekend or two of labor.
I am planning on keeping this Jeep forever, I'm the first owner and it was a custom order. I know things will happen throughout it's life, just didn't plan within the first 6000 miles. I got a little carried away and wanted to do some intense trails.

I think that's the best route. I'll call insurance to see what they say but I'm more leaning towards just rocking it the way it is, but that window is the top priority because I have to do a 1500 mile trip from CA to WA on Friday.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Thank you all for the kind words and advice. You all made it a bit easier to take in a crappy situation and think about the options available.

I went down a tough part of the trail and found myself in a bad position because the trail started to get more intense so I knew I needed to turn back, unfortunately the way back was still bad and where I received the damage. I was stuck between a rock and hard place, literally. This trail is one way in one way out with no bypasses, its rated 9/10 for difficulty. I should of known better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
You that trail with those tires?
Yes, the stock 31 Goodyear Wrangler A/T. Was not a good idea. šŸ˜¢ My only saving grace was the rubicon suspension that I installed gives me about 2 inches of lift. If not for that, I wouldn't of even tried.

This is my first Jeep and I'm still learning the limitiations. The Jeep wanted to do it all and didn't get stuck, but unfortunately I didn't have the right tire setup. I would not try this trail again without 37's.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Yes, the stock 31 Goodyear Wrangler A/T. Was not a good idea. šŸ˜¢ My only saving grace was the rubicon suspension that I installed gives me about 2 inches of lift. If not for that, I wouldn't of even tried.

This is my first Jeep and I'm still learning the limitiations. The Jeep wanted to do it all and didn't get stuck, but unfortunately I didn't have the right tire setup. I would not try this trail again without 37's.
Iā€™m assuming you got this on the squeeze, or at another part?
Did you have a spotter?
I ask because that squeeze is the only part Iā€™ve seen on video that makes me think I donā€™t want to try to get that badge of honor, even though Iā€™m local haha...
Like other people said, I hope you had fun and can still look back with enjoyment.
Iā€™ve gotten some trail rash and scrapes and Iā€™d rather be out using the Jeep than polishing it in the driveway!

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Iā€™m assuming you got this on the squeeze, or at another part?
Did you have a spotter?
I ask because that squeeze is the only part Iā€™ve seen on video that makes me think I donā€™t want to try to get that badge of honor, even though Iā€™m local haha...
Like other people said, I hope you had fun and can still look back with enjoyment.
Iā€™ve gotten some trail rash and scrapes and Iā€™d rather be out using the Jeep than polishing it in the driveway!
i had 2 people that rode in on dirtbikes and spotted me. They wouldnt even attempt the rock garden on dirtbike!

Yes, so i got down the squeeze with no issues. Then i got to the rock garden and waterfall. The windshield broke when i was halfway through rock garden, i turned around because the trail started getting intense after the wedge. While coming down the spot with a large rock overhang, the weight shifted and slammed my hardtop into the rock. I actually came down the wedge without issue, but my mistake was to back track and attempt to return up the wedge. Surprisingly, i got back up but i destroyed my passenger side door, rockers, and both or my mirrors are toast. My driver side isnā€™t even on the vehicle, and the passenger is smashed but still on the vehicle.

overall a bit bummed at the damage, but im looking at doing a rotopax black out window so i don't have to worry about new glass. As for the passenger side, i may just leave it and get the major surface scrapes with touch up paint. Still waiting for insurance to get back on my claim i submitted, would like to know how they would take care of things before i do it myself.

i had my canon eos r and 16mm lens on me, wish i would of recorded some 4k footage. Unfortunately i was so focused on getting the hell out of there. I was down to 150 mile fuel range and my 4lo was burning through gas.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
i had 2 people that rode in on dirtbikes and spotted me. They wouldnt even attempt the rock garden on dirtbike!

Yes, so i got down the squeeze with no issues. Then i got to the rock garden and waterfall. The windshield broke when i was halfway through rock garden, i turned around because the trail started getting intense after the wedge. While coming down the spot with a large rock overhang, the weight shifted and slammed my hardtop into the rock. I actually came down the wedge without issue, but my mistake was to back track and attempt to return up the wedge. Surprisingly, i got back up but i destroyed my passenger side door, rockers, and both or my mirrors are toast. My driver side isnā€™t even on the vehicle, and the passenger is smashed but still on the vehicle.

overall a bit bummed at the damage, but im looking at doing a rotopax black out window so i don't have to worry about new glass. As for the passenger side, i may just leave it and get the major surface scrapes with touch up paint. Still waiting for insurance to get back on my claim i submitted, would like to know how they would take care of things before i do it myself.

i had my canon eos r and 16mm lens on me, wish i would of recorded some 4k footage. Unfortunately i was so focused on getting the hell out of there. I was down to 150 mile fuel range and my 4lo was burning through gas.
Wow I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen the rock garden part. That trail is harder than I thought!

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Wow I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen the rock garden part. That trail is harder than I thought!
I would of loved to earn the badge but today wasnā€™t the day. i may have to come come back once im 2.5+ lift and 37s.

A built rubi on 37s and at least 2 inch lift was attemping right after i was leaving, but he looked a little too wide for the squeeze. I didn't stick around to watch because night was falling and i needed to get to camp, but i briefly saw him struggling to fit in.

Sponsored

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6

If you recorded the whole thing and put it on YouTube, the views might have paid for the damages.

I would just fix it a little at a time and wouldn't bother with the insurance claim. Once that's recorded on the Carfax you can kiss your resale value goodbye.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
If you recorded the whole thing and put it on YouTube, the views might have paid for the damages.

I would just fix it a little at a time and wouldn't bother with the insurance claim. Once that's recorded on the Carfax you can kiss your resale value goodbye.
Thats true. I wasnā€™t thinking of resale value because i plan on keeping this vehicle till i die, but considering im the first owner, id hate to get the record off to a bad start.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
maybe this to fill in, and touch up paint/clear coat?

Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds 03F55835-204C-4E9F-AAAB-1BE273EB876B

and get the hardtop window frame aligned, sand the area, use some fiberglass mixture to lay new layers, then paint matte black? And the for the window just use a rotopax window filler?

Jeep Wrangler JL I Got Some Bad Trail Wounds 66480709-F1BC-478D-AA44-3086BAC85C60

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Looks like a fun trail. The door is probably the easiest part. Find some on eBay or through a wrecker. Is the rocker damage with the coverage area of some sliders that have the built in body armor?

You could probably use some fiberglass patch stuff for a boat to make the top look decent.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Your insurance will cover the repairs. You own a trail rated Jeep, and you were using it for its intended purpose. This is why you have a trail rated badge on the side of your Jeep. Your Jeep is per the manufacturer built to be driven on the trail.

I have two friends that have recently rolled their Jeeps over. Both of them, the insurance paid to have them fixed with zero hassle. The only time your Jeep will not be covered is if you enter a timed racing event. There is different insurance for that type of use.

You already messed up the Jeep, the Jeep can be fixed. This is one of those times where you say fuck it and don't let it ruin a good time. Pay your deductible, and hope you don't get something totally lame to drive while your Jeep is getting fixed.

In my circle, we call this the cost of wheeling.
Sponsored