Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Is your Willys MT?

yeah, I'm not a huge fan. Its not good holding speed on hilly freeways either. Id like to get the gearing changed.
I have to admit with some sadness that the honeymoon is over. I was able to take a vacation right after I bought the Jeep, and I had the time of my life exploring forest roads and taking it to places I never would have dreamed of attempting to take my truck. Then the vacation ended, and I went to daily driving it.

It drives like an 18-wheeler, except it doesn't weigh 80,000 lbs. Why the hell am I having to cog 3rd gear just to avoid losing speed on a hill my pickup used to go up in 6th?

Because I have stupid 3.45 gears, that's why.

I have just simply spent too damn much money on this thing at this point, and I can't afford to pay a shop to do the work, but I am starting to talk myself into buying the parts and doing it myself. I could change to 4.10 for ~$600. I've never done a regear, but if I can find good enough instructions, I'm sure I could do it.

Sigh. I can't wait until my financial batteries recharge enough to permit me to afford this extremely necessary upgrade, and to hell with my powertrain warranty.
Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Im sure yours was totaled? Good thing youre okay. Mines not totaled, mechanically perfect 6000 miles, just has body damage.

i think with this situation since the vehicle isnt being totaled the payments and such will be strictly between body shop and insurance.

i have totaled 1 car before, this was years ago back when i was an early teen. someone California stopped at a red light and decided to turn in font of me when i was going 45mph and had 50 ft of distance. I remember she walked over and kept apologizing. I was pissed because it was a 98 Honda Civic VTEC with low miles. With that situation obviously insurance wasn’t going to deal with the hassle and they sent a check. The repairs were definitely greater than the value of the vehicle.
Wasn't totalled. Just a busted up front bumper. I saw him so I hit the brakes hard. If he hadn't panic stopped he'd been through the intersection before I was. As it was, my nose was in his rear wheel well.

I had a situation when I was young, I had a new Ford Ranger. I was the culprit. Didn't see a red until too late and bumped into a left turner. Had some decent body damage. Still in that case my insurance cut me the check, not the shop.

Maybe the law is different in different states about lienholders. This happed in SC.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Throw me in an automatic and its all good, ill crawl the whole way.

Now try to offroad a MT, its a whole different game.

The tough thing for me is learning the clutch control while offroad. I didnt get stuck and it provides plenty of torque, the problem is when i sent myself into the boulder i was trying to feather the clutch and get traction. It was a balancing act to get the power needed while not giving it too much.

if theres MT offroad classes id be interested in those.
This is my first auto wheeler and learned to drive a 3 speed land cruiser, my dad taught me to drive a clutch when I was 10 and there is only 1 trick you need to know about wheeling with a clutch - DO NOT USE IT, never feather the clutch when off-road, that and never put your thumbs in the steering wheel (power steering helps with this one nowadays) where the 2 things my dad taught me and whenever I tell someone about the clutch they thank me. when you come up to a obstacle dont have a foot on the clutch just one one the brake and one on the gas, if the rig stalls no big deal using the clutch is bad and will cause issues as you found out. A better technique is to give a little gas and brake and let off the brake right when the front tires touch the obstacle then slightly increase throttle. Using the clutch with cause wear and damage to the drivetrain.
The old land cruisers were awesome just turn the key in gear in 4low and go, we could do the Rubicon trail and not use the clutch the whole time, and it is way safer on steep climbs.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I hit a deer with my 2008 Liberty last December. Decided to use the Allstate recommended body shop instead of the body shop I used for my wife's car. First when her car was backed into by a semi and just a few months later rear ended by a distracted driver. The second crash totaled the vehicle so that's what gave her the push to get a 2019 Jeep Cherokee. That body shop did an excellent repair the first time and that was why I took her car there for the second crash but the damage was too much.

My insurance company recommended shop also did a great job and it was impossible to tell that it even had hard contact with a deer. This shop was much closer to my home and the rental car office only a block away. The paint match was perfect and only had one issue afterward as when I finally washed the Liberty after the repair, I noticed the right turn signal had moisture inside. Brought it to their attention so they ordered a new signal and replaced it promptly.

I looked at the google reviews for the body shop Progressive is recommending for you. Not all were perfect but the owner responded to every review, good and not so good, and seemed to want to make things right for those who were not satisfied. To me, this really is important on how hard a shop wants to please their customers.
Thanks for this write up and information. Its good to hear from others about experience with body shops.

i called in and talked to the shop owner, over the phone he sounded like a quiet older guy, he wasn’t trying hard to sell me or get me as a customer which is a green flag to me. I asked him if the newer Jeep Wrangler are something they’d be able to work on, he said “We’ve done a few of those and it wont be a problem.” When i explained to him the damage he then said “Well to start we’d first have to do a tear down and disassemble everything, because we need to find out how deep the damage goes. Then we will reach out to your adjuster and get what we need to fix the issues.” His way of explaining was exactly what like to hear.

fingers crossed ill have a good experience like you have.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
No, but my JK had a 6 speed and the same size tires I have now. I ordered the JK with 3.73s (which aren’t an option on the JL) and I felt those gears were barely adequate. Lack of a 3.73 option and the number of people satisfied with the 8 speed got me to go auto this time.

I really think Jeep should offer 3.73 and 4.10 gears as an option on all models.
That seems like the wise choice. I love the MT, so im determined to keep mine, ill just need to do the regearing at some point soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Wasn't totalled. Just a busted up front bumper. I saw him so I hit the brakes hard. If he hadn't panic stopped he'd been through the intersection before I was. As it was, my nose was in his rear wheel well.

I had a situation when I was young, I had a new Ford Ranger. I was the culprit. Didn't see a red until too late and bumped into a left turner. Had some decent body damage. Still in that case my insurance cut me the check, not the shop.

Maybe the law is different in different states about lienholders. This happed in SC.
Well its good youre okay and the damage was fixed. I guess we will find out how WA is about this.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
This is my first auto wheeler and learned to drive a 3 speed land cruiser, my dad taught me to drive a clutch when I was 10 and there is only 1 trick you need to know about wheeling with a clutch - DO NOT USE IT, never feather the clutch when off-road, that and never put your thumbs in the steering wheel (power steering helps with this one nowadays) where the 2 things my dad taught me and whenever I tell someone about the clutch they thank me. when you come up to a obstacle dont have a foot on the clutch just one one the brake and one on the gas, if the rig stalls no big deal using the clutch is bad and will cause issues as you found out. A better technique is to give a little gas and brake and let off the brake right when the front tires touch the obstacle then slightly increase throttle. Using the clutch with cause wear and damage to the drivetrain.
The old land cruisers were awesome just turn the key in gear in 4low and go, we could do the Rubicon trail and not use the clutch the whole time, and it is way safer on steep climbs.
Wow, this is great to know. When i get back out in the trail, im going to take it much slower and learn my vehicle more. The 4lo has plenty of power and i get what youre saying about not needing to use the clutch because it tends to just crawl forward and doesn’t stall at low speeds. Even though im just a Sport and i dont have lockers, i thankfully havent been in a situation where i cant get traction. I just need to be my light on the throttle and be careful.

my first 2 MT were cars, so im realizing with these truck MT’s i dont need to imicro manage the vehicle and i need to just take it slow and let it do its thing.

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I have to admit with some sadness that the honeymoon is over. I was able to take a vacation right after I bought the Jeep, and I had the time of my life exploring forest roads and taking it to places I never would have dreamed of attempting to take my truck. Then the vacation ended, and I went to daily driving it.

It drives like an 18-wheeler, except it doesn't weigh 80,000 lbs. Why the hell am I having to cog 3rd gear just to avoid losing speed on a hill my pickup used to go up in 6th?

Because I have stupid 3.45 gears, that's why.

I have just simply spent too damn much money on this thing at this point, and I can't afford to pay a shop to do the work, but I am starting to talk myself into buying the parts and doing it myself. I could change to 4.10 for ~$600. I've never done a regear, but if I can find good enough instructions, I'm sure I could do it.

Sigh. I can't wait until my financial batteries recharge enough to permit me to afford this extremely necessary upgrade, and to hell with my powertrain warranty.
It seems a lot of us have had this same realization. The only issue i see with doing the regearing yourself is having a proper work area and getting the measurements perfectly. From what ive seen in videos, it cant be off by even a millimeter. I do all my own work on my vehicles, but this one seems more technical. Overall it doesnt seem like a time consuming job, but i think just doing the work to make sure its measured and installed perfectly would be the headache.

the nice thing is once you learn and do one, thats a life skill you could use later and im sure theres plenty of JL owners that would pay you to do theirs.

i recently installed a full rubi takeoff-suspension. I did weeks of research before diving in. at first it was overwhelming but i took it slow and got it done. It took me 7 hours. The nice thing is now i know i can do it again. If i ever want to get a larger lift or if i know people that want to pay me to do theirs, i can do it.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, this is great to know. When i get back out in the trail, im going to take it much slower and learn my vehicle more. The 4lo has plenty of power and i get what youre saying about not needing to use the clutch because it tends to just crawl forward and doesn’t stall at low speeds. Even though im just a Sport and i dont have lockers, i thankfully havent been in a situation where i cant get traction. I just need to be my light on the throttle and be careful.

my first 2 MT were cars, so im realizing with these truck MT’s i dont need to imicro manage the vehicle and i need to just take it slow and let it do its thing.
It does take practice but you will notice the difference immediately, slower is better practice using as little throttle as possible just enough to keep it from stalling is a good way, when you have to hit the gas a little brake helps keep it from lurching forward, and on the lockers my dad still thinks they are not needed but I like them and they do help, a rear would be enough for 99% of wheeling if you do ever want to upgrade.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Im glad you are getting it professionally repaired. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are young and tastes/attitude change. I bought my SVT Lightning at 18 and joined the Army (2005). I planned on keeping the Lightning forever as the speed was my want and I was in love with it, I planned on retiring from the Army. By 2009 a 15 month deployment and constant field training showed the army wasn't for me anymore and I left at the end of my first contract, got married, had kids. Now the 2 door truck wasn't reasonable with 2 kids and I traded it in 2011. For me 6 years apparently was "forever". Now I have a few more years under my belt and have a Jeep Gladiator. Tastes definitely change. Long story short I know few people in their 40's on the plan from their 20's. I think you made the right decision on the repairs. Mad props for the balls of steel to attempt that trail though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
It does take practice but you will notice the difference immediately, slower is better practice using as little throttle as possible just enough to keep it from stalling is a good way, when you have to hit the gas a little brake helps keep it from lurching forward, and on the lockers my dad still thinks they are not needed but I like them and they do help, a rear would be enough for 99% of wheeling if you do ever want to upgrade.
Okay, noted. Im going to use your advice.

my rear has the lsd, but im looking into locker options as well. I would like to grab a torqmaster for the front, the rear may get done when my lsd needs to be replaced.

Reactions: ML7
OP
OP
jonahgetz

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Im glad you are getting it professionally repaired. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are young and tastes/attitude change. I bought my SVT Lightning at 18 and joined the Army (2005). I planned on keeping the Lightning forever as the speed was my want and I was in love with it, I planned on retiring from the Army. By 2009 a 15 month deployment and constant field training showed the army wasn't for me anymore and I left at the end of my first contract, got married, had kids. Now the 2 door truck wasn't reasonable with 2 kids and I traded it in 2011. For me 6 years apparently was "forever". Now I have a few more years under my belt and have a Jeep Gladiator. Tastes definitely change. Long story short I know few people in their 40's on the plan from their 20's. I think you made the right decision on the repairs. Mad props for the balls of steel to attempt that trail though.
Thanks for your service and im also active duty navy. Im 5 years in and signed for 3 more, stationed in Washington. I bought this JLU because i could probably get by with a 2 door but i wanted the extra room for camping when i go up in the mountains on the weekends. Im single with no kids so i got the manual locks because my rear doors rarely get opened. 😂

i know those deployments are killer. I did a 8 month, and then got forward deployed to Japan for 2 years and did 3 month rotations on patrol. Went out every 2 months.

i totally agree with you, it fits my needs but life changes and i want this thing to remain in its original condition. If i end up being a 65+year old with this same jeep, that would be great! But its bad to live in the moment and anticipate 35 years from now.

The truth is, im not ready for this thing to have damage like that this early into its lifetime.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thanks for your service and im also active duty navy. Im 5 years in and signed for 3 more, stationed in Washington. I bought this JLU because i could probably get by with a 2 door but i wanted the extra room for camping when i go up in the mountains on the weekends. Im single with no kids so i got the manual locks because my rear doors rarely get opened. 😂

i know those deployments are killer. I did a 8 month, and then got forward deployed to Japan for 2 years and did 3 month rotations on patrol. Went out every 2 months.

i totally agree with you, it fits my needs but life changes and i want this thing to remain in its original condition. If i end up being a 65+year old with this same jeep, that would be great! But its bad to live in the moment and anticipate 35 years from now.
It was my honor to serve, thank you. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I was an artillery observer and my 15 months in Iraq were during the troop surge, I didn't want round 2, leave that second one for the new generation lol. Good luck with the repairs brother, I'm sure you wont regret it. If premiums go up check USAA. When I was in they were by far the best rates for young active duty.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
IOverall it doesnt seem like a time consuming job, but i think just doing the work to make sure its measured and installed perfectly would be the headache.
Agreed. I've skimmed instructions for this kind of thing before, and have the general idea, but you never know until you get into the job. I'm used to working to 0.001" in the shop, but then do I even have a tool that can measure the kind of thing I need to check on this job?

I need to do a lot more research. One thing other than cost that favors doing it myself is that I don't actually know anybody I would trust to do this work anyway. I know several mechanics, and I don't know anybody who ever regeared an axle on anything.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I finally started to figure my Jeep out when I realized it shifted like a car instead of a truck. It's all perspective. The main thing is to just keep in mind that you CAN get around in the thing, and no matter how many times you stall it out, you can always start it and keep going. Hell, I stalled mine three times getting it off the lot on the test drive. The sales guys were all standing around laughing at me. That's because I was pulling out in 2nd, like you do in a truck, and Jeeps back in the day had the exact same T-18 my old truck has, so I wasn't crazy to try to do that.
Sponsored