I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I've had my Jeep for about 9 months and its never been off road. I have very little off road experience for one, ...also not really sure where I can do it legally and safely in my area. I will likely join a local club and hopefully get that experience. I have always been very meticulous with my vehicles keeping them in very good shape so I'm not sure how hardcore off roading I'd be into. Dirt washes off no problem but not so sure I want to beat up the Jeep by being too aggressive.
Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Interesting conversation this has morphed into.

At 52, I've wanted a Jeep for awhile, way back in my late teens to early twenties when I was in the military. Although I was/am really into cars also.

I didn't know anything about the off-road scene back then, not sure if there was one like it is now. I just liked the way they looked, and the utilitarian style of it.

Fast forward years later, I got a JK and loved it. I never took it off-road, just lightly modded it & loved driving it, shifted gears, and bouncing around. Kinda weird but, I just liked the way it drives, and the open air experience.

I can't speak for everyone but I think it may be like that for lot of people.

I've since been off-road some with my JL but not a lot. I do enjoy it, I just need to travel more and find more places to do it, but nothing drastic. In Georgia the only place I know to go is the north in mountains, but that gets tough if you don't know anyone or were you're going.

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
In Georgia the only place I know to go is the north in mountains, but that gets tough if you don't know anyone or were you're going.
My wife and I went to Warwoman a few weeks ago and loved it. Check out GAIA GPS if you haven’t already. That, plus the appropriate map layers and research on the Forest Service web site and YouTube will get you lots of information on which roads to take for a good time.

Clackalack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Let me take a crack at the appeal to non-offroaders:
  • This is one of the only vehicles that defies demographics. I see drivers that are young/old, male/female, rich/poor, all ethnicities. My wife drives a Mini Cooper and I hesitate to drive it because it's thought of as a chick car. I know...that's silly thinking.
  • The nice high vantage point to see over traffic - especially with lift/tires.
  • The ACE rock rails make mine absolutely door ding proof in parking lots.
  • I don't have to worry about scraping the nose on the parking spot wheel stop barriers.
  • The Jeep laughs at roadway irregularities that would swallow up normal vehicles
  • Surprisingly luxurious.
  • Unprecedented resale value. And...my Jeeps tend to sell for more BECAUSE they weren't off-roaded. Every buyer has said that - including those who intend to off-road it.
  • Made in America
  • The image it projects - looks cool
Did I miss anything?

If I was going to off-road I'd buy a SHERP, but that wouldn't be a good daily driver. [And it certainly doesn't tread lightly] :)

It's a convertible that seats five. The only convertible that seats five. (Until the bronco arrives.)

Granted, "has three kids and wants a convertible" isn't a very large demographic.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
It's a convertible that seats five. The only convertible that seats five. (Until the bronco arrives.)

Granted, "has three kids and wants a convertible" isn't a very large demographic.
Actually me and my wife ordered this Jeep SPECIFICALLY so we could get a MyTop installed on it. It is the only thing like it, it does not sit low down on the ground like other convertibles, it is GREAT for cruising back roads or destination trips, it is fun to drive AND it is great off road, but if the top didn't go down at the push of a button, I would not have bought it and would have been done with Jeeps.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Actually me and my wife ordered this Jeep SPECIFICALLY so we could get a MyTop installed on it. It is the only thing like it, it does not sit low down on the ground like other convertibles, it is GREAT for cruising back roads or destination trips, it is fun to drive AND it is great off road, but if the top didn't go down at the push of a button, I would not have bought it and would have been done with Jeeps.
Same here, I only wish I knew about them years ago and the JK might have been my first and only vehicle instead of going through multiple convertibles only to hate my life every winter.

Pretty sure this weekend wouldn’t have been as fun without my convertible mall crawler

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I think guys who wheel their jeeps as intended look at guys sup-ing up their rigs only for show as posers. I get that and shake my head at them as well but dont really care that much. Their rig, their money and selfishly consider it good for OUR sport. PARTS. Less cluttered trails.

When you wheel in "feeling lucky to be alive" trails while testing your vehicle, your build, your skill, I think there is a tendency to share that feeling with others and just cant believe people would own a vehicle that can do so much and end of doing so little.

While I shake my head about it for a moment, I also am very grateful for the long lasting positives.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I think guys who wheel their jeeps as intended look at guys sup-ing up their rigs only for show as posers. I get that and shake my head at them as well but dont really care that much. Their rig, their money and selfishly consider it good for OUR sport. PARTS. Less cluttered trails.

When you wheel in "feeling lucky to be alive" trails while testing your vehicle, your build, your skill, I think there is a tendency to share that feeling with others and just cant believe people would own a vehicle that can do so much and end of doing so little.

While I shake my head about it for a moment, I also am very grateful for the long lasting positives.

I'm very new to Jeep and will enjoy using it in some of the winter stuff we get up here in the North East.
But I'm retired and drove for a living so my skill had been tested for 32 years so my new toy is a gift and a coffee runner.
I actually would love the thought of being in the middle of nowhere creating my own trails visiting old towns but that would require a time machine.😀
But just to follow someone else's path I'd might as well be on Fifth Ave.
I'm sure bikers feel that Jeep people are not getting it either......
Whatever floats your boat or the time in your life......🖖

Mall Crawler Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I'd never do something with my Jeep I wasn't comfortable doing. Right now I have the desire to go off-road, at least once

Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Some day, I may offroad in my JLUR around my house. There are plenty of muddy fields and woods here that I have access to.
I just like the look of the Wrangler, so maybe I'm what's called a mall crawler?

Anyway, another reason I went with a Wrangler is I flat tow a vehicle behind my motorhome. Wranglers are one if not the best flat tow vehicle out there.
I will explore some remote places in my travels that doesn't involve mud. I hate cleaning something that has been plastered with mud underneath and outside.

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
meh... I'm fine with people using their money and time the way that they want. I'm not gonna hate on anyone for how they use it. But the mall crawler thing makes very little sense to me. A Jeep is a compromised vehicle on road. Everything about it is aimed toward off road capability. If you're not going to use it for that, why make those compromises? I expect many mall crawlers will be trading in their Jeeps for the Bronco. Getting rid of the solid axle will make the on road handling and ride so much better, but they still will retain a look that is similar to Jeep (a classic offroad toughness look). That look is the only thing I can think of to explain why someone picked a 4 door wrangler over a 4Runner if they're not going to go offroad or take the top/doors off.
Yeah I got my wife he first jeep because just loved the looks, she's scared to even just take the top off nonetheless go mudding lol but tbh it drives beautifully on the city and highway, had a 1000 mile road trip and had zero complains, just the wind noise that we don't mind.
I'm trying to get her to start getting more creative with time, it's been 6 months haha

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Yeah I got my wife he first jeep because just loved the looks, she's scared to even just take the top off nonetheless go mudding lol but tbh it drives beautifully on the city and highway, had a 1000 mile road trip and had zero complains, just the wind noise that we don't mind.
I'm trying to get her to start getting more creative with time, it's been 6 months haha
Weather's been beautiful here, at least in Central FL. Setting up a hoist for the top is high on my list so we can pull the top easily. Has she even taken the "freedom panels" off? That's a good start.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
It’s funny to me that the only “haters” are the random self-entitled off-roaders who feel the need periodically to hate on someone who doesn’t use their Jeep how the off roader perceives to be appropriate . I have yet to meet a mall-crawler that hates on anyone. They are just as friendly and love their jeeps just as much as the rest.

Deleted member 59098

JL and JK are nice either stock or off road purpose built. A lift and bigger tires are fine for the street Jeeps. What looks good at the mall is a built XJ or ZJ.
Sponsored