Sponsored

I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Agree.

Prius owners usually have “strong words” for Jeepers who use their tools as intended.

So it’s fair game.:LOL:
I have a Jeep, my wife has a Prius. Somehow we still love each other.
Sponsored

Kanonn

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Unlimited Rubicon 2014
Lots of things are bought and not used for what they are intended for....like duct tape...It don't matter what you do with your Wrangler, it just matters that your a jeep kinda person. :)llllll:)
Well, a jeep is capable right off the car lot. You don't have to upgrade it unless there's a obstacle you want to conquer. That said, they're all waiting for the apocalypse!

OH, and if by chance you do buy duct tape, you know you're gonna get tricky with that s#!t!🇺🇸

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I find it " informative" that practically no one, in 106 posts, has realized WorkToLive first post was written in riotous, hilarious SARCASM, a spot- on Spoof. The resulting posts were proof that Dyno- Mite DOES work in a Fish Pond. I'm still cleaning up Snorted Coffee, but Hey, It's a Jeep Thing..

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I'm surprised your Sahara was able to handle that dirt and mud. Seriously, everyone knows the Rubicon is the only model that is designed for off-roading. You are def risking damaging your rig if you keep wheeling it. Saharas and Sports are NOT made for that abuse!!!
Sorry but just have to throw the BS card here.

JL's are all nearly identical except for powertrain and axle options. Even then, each and every engine, transmission and transfer case is VERY capable to go off-road.

It's the lockers, a little more clearance, Sway-bar disconnects and especially the tires that give the Rubicon it's advantage.

By far the locking axles are the Rubicon's best advantage BUT, both Sport and Sahara Trims offer the rear Limited Slip Differential (LSD) which can be far superior to lockers in many situations. ALSO, all trims (every one) comes standard with Brake Lock Differentials (BLD). This feature automatically applies braking force to specific individual slipping wheels in order to keep torque applied to the others when running on open diffs (2WD, 4HI and 4LO).

I've slightly modified my Sport S so that it is much more capable than any stock Rubicon. The only real magic is different tires. I've invested in All-Terrain 35's which did require a 2.5" inch lift. I also added a Teraflex Sway-Bar Quick Disconnect.

I regularly off-road and go places only Rubicon's typically venture. Not because only Rubicon's can, but because the people who venture off into the wilderness tend to buy the equipment with the lockers.

However, any Jeep (JL or otherwise), independent of trim can go almost everywhere a Rubicon can. It's primarily up to the skill of the driver. Open diffs can't simply 'muscle' their way through any obstacle. They have to pay better attention to wheel slip. Therefore have to be more disciplined in applied torque (power). Regardless, the BLD feature provides a huge improvement in the JL's off-road performance.

Each and every JL is able to go nearly anywhere. Mods only make it that much easier to get there. My Sport is no exception...

IMG_20200728_190130.jpg

IMG_20201010_121449.jpg

IMG_20201017_101409.jpg

IMG_20200614_132150.jpg

IMG_20200901_144649.jpg

IMG_20200815_125724.jpg

IMG_20200901_144629.jpg

IMG_20200729_121025.jpg

IMG_20200801_200022.jpg

IMG_20200901_113102.jpg

IMG_20201010_141718_1.jpg

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_20201010_120123.jpg

IMG_20201224_131945.jpg

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

JL's are all nearly identical except for powertrain and axle options. Even then, each and every engine, transmission and transfer case is VERY capable to go off-road.

It's the lockers, a little more clearance, Sway-bar disconnects and especially the tires that give the Rubicon it's advantage.

By far the locking axles are the Rubicon's best advantage BUT, both Sport and Sahara Trims offer the rear Limited Slip Differential (LSD) which can be far superior to lockers in many situations. ALSO, all trims (every one) comes standard with Brake Lock Differentials (BLD). This feature automatically applies braking force to specific individual slipping wheels in order to keep torque applied to the others when running on open diffs (2WD, 4HI and 4LO).

I've slightly modified my Sport S so that it is much more capable than any stock Rubicon. The only real magic is different tires. I've invested in All-Terrain 35's which did require a 2.5" inch lift. I also added a Teraflex Sway-Bar Quick Disconnect.

I regularly off-road and go places only Rubicon's typically venture. Not because only Rubicon's can, but because the people who venture off into the wilderness tend to buy the equipment with the lockers.

However, any Jeep (JL or otherwise), independent of trim can go almost everywhere a Rubicon can. It's primarily up to the skill of the driver. Open diffs can't simply 'muscle' their way through any obstacle. They have to pay better attention to wheel slip. Therefore have to be more disciplined in applied torque (power). Regardless, the BLD feature provides a huge improvement in the JL's off-road performance.

Each and every JL is able to go nearly anywhere. Mods only make it that much easier to get there. My Sport is no exception...

Jeep Wrangler JL I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers IMG_20201224_131945

Jeep Wrangler JL I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers IMG_20201224_131945

Complete, total, unadulterated respect for wheeling in a Christmas necktie. Making the outdoors a little more genteel, and classing the forum boards up with each post. Thank you, sir!

Sponsored

au176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander, 2014 HD Road King
Let me take a crack at the appeal to non-offroaders:
  • This is one of the only vehicles that defies demographics. I see drivers that are young/old, male/female, rich/poor, all ethnicities. My wife drives a Mini Cooper and I hesitate to drive it because it's thought of as a chick car. I know...that's silly thinking.
  • The nice high vantage point to see over traffic - especially with lift/tires.
  • The ACE rock rails make mine absolutely door ding proof in parking lots.
  • I don't have to worry about scraping the nose on the parking spot wheel stop barriers.
  • The Jeep laughs at roadway irregularities that would swallow up normal vehicles
  • Surprisingly luxurious.
  • Unprecedented resale value. And...my Jeeps tend to sell for more BECAUSE they weren't off-roaded. Every buyer has said that - including those who intend to off-road it.
  • Made in America
  • The image it projects - looks cool
Did I miss anything?

If I was going to off-road I'd buy a SHERP, but that wouldn't be a good daily driver. [And it certainly doesn't tread lightly] :)
Mine was purpose-bought (mainly) to tow around behind a motorhome, because it is one of the few vehicles still produced that can easily be towed "four-flat". Before too many people groan, It is probably the best all-around vehicle to have when we reach our destinations. While small and nimble enough to handle popular tourist areas with hard-to-find parking, it will also run beaches, logging trails and a lot more, of course. Take the top and doors off, and it's great in warm sunny areas. I can't think of any other vehicle that would be at home doing everything the Jeep will do.

I can easily do the trail thing, as our family has wooded property in the mountains of southern NY, But that's what my ATV is for. I don't want to scratch and dent this all to hell. That being said, it will be tough to fight the urge to "take it up the hill"! ;)

Since I was a little kid, I've always wanted a CJ! Now, I finally have a "valid" reason to allow for the on-road idiosyncrasies and impracticalities of my JL. My friends who own, or have owned Jeeps all told me the same thing before I bought mine: "They are impractical as hell, but you'll LOVE it!"

It DOES put a smile on my face every time I drive it, and that's what matters to me!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

You got the prize!!! I was wondering if anyone would think I was serious :)
If you look at my tags at the bottom you will see we wheeled the snot out of a Sahara in Moab and Ouray.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like mall crawlers, if I was buying a used jeep, it would be nice to buy one thats never touched dirt before. Rather than one that's been rock crawled through the most hard corest trails

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
They can slap on as many lights and bolt on as many plates as they want, it's still a front-wheel drive. :)
This is true!! :CWL:

But a skilled driver in a decently modded vehicle will always beat an inexperienced driver with a top-of-the-line, hardcore purposeful vehicle, would you agree?

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Any chance we can all just be thankful we aren’t driving Mustangs and wrecking as we leave car shows? For every hardcore Jeep owner complaining about mall crawlers, there’s a Mustang purist on mymustangisbadderassthanyours.com with the same argument.
Sponsored