First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
My JLUR is stock and love it. On my third Jeep.

I have done the Rubicon trail in YJ. Ran a quad through Costa Rica and outside Denali Park. (On designated trails with a group) As well as off roaded my old Tacoma. Not to mention drove on sand dunes in Pismo Beach.

I am not into mudding or rock crawling anymore, but really want to get into overlanding. That looks like a lot of fun.

To me the Jeep is the perfect vehicle. Fills the need of a convertible, a SUV, commuter, and just about anything I throw at it.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
thanks!! Theyre 35x13.50 17s. I wish i had the space for the 38x13.50s. Theyre such a badass tire. Maybe once these wear out ill try to figure something out haha 😃

77872628-374A-48B6-A9C9-B3C2DBB448DD.jpeg
The 38x13.5 size is what has me looking at this tire. Not many choices in that size, and I don't want to go smaller or make the leap into 40's just yet.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
The 38x13.5 size is what has me looking at this tire. Not many choices in that size, and I don't want to go smaller or make the leap into 40's just yet.
Will it just be your set of tires for off roading and maybe in town use only? Thing is when i was vacuuming out all the beads from my mickeys yesterday i noticed the beads were all sticking to the side and all over my tire so it probably screwed up my balance. But i also found a bulge inside two of the tires as well. Best i can describe it as is it looks like a speedbump inside there with a couple diagonal cracks. I only put 300ish km on these tires how the fuck?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Will it just be your set of tires for off roading and maybe in town use only? Thing is when i was vacuuming out all the beads from my mickeys yesterday i noticed the beads were all sticking to the side and all over my tire so it probably screwed up my balance. But i also found a bulge inside two of the tires as well. Best i can describe it as is it looks like a speedbump inside there with a couple diagonal cracks. I only put 300ish km on these tires how the fuck?
Yeah, I keep seeing mixed reviews about these. My jeep is built up for climbing obstacles and also carrying some speed on rutted trails, but is also my daily driver.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The irony is that I see many people complain about mall crawlers and they own a Rubicon that only see dirt roads a subaru can do with ease.

A sport JL can do moderate trails with ease and hard ones with little mods. So why did they buy the Rubicon then?

They bought into Rubicon because of the image. Nothing wrong with that, people do it with everything. Sport cars, iphone, even headphones nowadays.

My jeep has quick discos, 33 MTs, rubi suspension, rear LSD, metal bumpers, rock sliders, winch. Everything handpicked by me, weight taken into consideration to build a light 2 door that can crawl on 33s.

Someone told me how neat my Jeep looked the other day, and they wanted one like that, because they didnt want to offroad. . I asked, what do you mean? and they say, well not a rubicon. As if only a Rubicon can offroad.

Point is, the general population doesnt know. Even if you only take your Rubi on dirt roads,people think you crawl like youtubers. It doesnt matter if you have a mall crawler, people think it is badass. It is all about image.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Just to clarify, i fully respect them. I love shiny nice expensive things.

i had no intention of ever going off pavement with these mickey thompsons, but man i couldnt resist. I finally realize now just how fun it is to go do burnouts and donuts on prairie grass, hit the mud, and tear up some new trails in the hills. If these tires only last 20k kms then im gonna use them for what theyre made for.

My plan was 20x12s up to 24 inch wheels to have something flashy. But man theres nothing like going through mud and widening the ruts out while throwing hundreds of mud chunks the size of your head all over the roof. The 40 minute car wash was definitely worth the fun. Too bad theres not actually anywhere to offroad within 10 hours. Its risky tearing up city grass 😅

262AED39-0C1C-43B4-A4B0-5750666AF971.jpeg

EED0C052-11B3-4648-9505-6BBE8505DABB.jpeg
Looks like you're having fun. :)
But...I'm not sure how that translates to hating mall crawlers.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This post needs a lesson in, “mind your own business.” I think it’s cool if people want to mod the hell out of their rigs and go off-road. I also think it’s cool if you want to leave your rig stock and go to the mall. I’d be willing to bet the bulk of the new Wranglers sold are mall crawlers which is a good thing because without those mall crawlers filling Stelantis’ coffer, there would be no Wranglers. On a side note, malls are dead. We go to Costco.
Very well said.

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
Why do you care?
Down the block from me, my neighbors (husband and wife) both have Wranglers. She told me they’ve never once took off the roofs or doors. When I completely open up mine I wonder when driving by on a beautiful day, tube doors and waving if they maybe would think differently. Nope, that’s ok though.
Same with off-roading.
It’s not like it offends me, but I am incredulous. For the price of a wrangler there are so many other options that make infinitely better daily drivers. I guess it’s a look, but the only reason I put up with the terrible road mannerisms of my wrangler is because it’s a beast off road and that is why I got it.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
Just to clarify, i fully respect them. I love shiny nice expensive things.

i had no intention of ever going off pavement with these mickey thompsons, but man i couldnt resist. I finally realize now just how fun it is to go do burnouts and donuts on prairie grass, hit the mud, and tear up some new trails in the hills. If these tires only last 20k kms then im gonna use them for what theyre made for.

My plan was 20x12s up to 24 inch wheels to have something flashy. But man theres nothing like going through mud and widening the ruts out while throwing hundreds of mud chunks the size of your head all over the roof. The 40 minute car wash was definitely worth the fun. Too bad theres not actually anywhere to offroad within 10 hours. Its risky tearing up city grass 😅

262AED39-0C1C-43B4-A4B0-5750666AF971.jpeg

EED0C052-11B3-4648-9505-6BBE8505DABB.jpeg
Yes,Mud in each and every nook and cranny is so awesome!....NOT!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s not like it offends me, but I am incredulous. For the price of a wrangler there are so many other options that make infinitely better daily drivers. I guess it’s a look, but the only reason I put up with the terrible road mannerisms of my wrangler is because it’s a beast off road and that is why I got it.
Let me take a crack at the appeal to non-offroaders:
  • This is one of the only vehicles that defies demographics. I see drivers that are young/old, male/female, rich/poor, all ethnicities. My wife drives a Mini Cooper and I hesitate to drive it because it's thought of as a chick car. I know...that's silly thinking.
  • The nice high vantage point to see over traffic - especially with lift/tires.
  • The ACE rock rails make mine absolutely door ding proof in parking lots.
  • I don't have to worry about scraping the nose on the parking spot wheel stop barriers.
  • The Jeep laughs at roadway irregularities that would swallow up normal vehicles
  • Surprisingly luxurious.
  • Unprecedented resale value. And...my Jeeps tend to sell for more BECAUSE they weren't off-roaded. Every buyer has said that - including those who intend to off-road it.
  • Made in America
  • The image it projects - looks cool
Did I miss anything?

If I was going to off-road I'd buy a SHERP, but that wouldn't be a good daily driver. [And it certainly doesn't tread lightly] :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I am into hiking. My intention was to use my Jeep on those dirt roads that are a bit too difficult for a standard car - as a way to get to and from a hike.

However, I joined my local Jeep club and I am having a great time driving over stuff that I never imagined!
Hikers here have a saying; "Hike your own hike". Apparently it applies to wheeling as well.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I live on a ranch and use the Jeep as a tool. I see threads like this a lot on here and it makes me wonder how low your self esteem must be to actually hate how or why someone used their vehicle. SMH

deaHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 K1000 Suburban, !968 Chevelle SS LS9, 2019 X7, 2020 JLURD, 2021 Silverado
Let me take a crack at the appeal to non-offroaders:
  • This is one of the only vehicles that defies demographics. I see drivers that are young/old, male/female, rich/poor, all ethnicities. My wife drives a Mini Cooper and I hesitate to drive it because it's thought of as a chick car. I know...that's silly thinking.
  • The nice high vantage point to see over traffic - especially with lift/tires.
  • The ACE rock rails make mine absolutely door ding proof in parking lots.
  • I don't have to worry about scraping the nose on the parking spot wheel stop barriers.
  • The Jeep laughs at roadway irregularities that would swallow up normal vehicles
  • Surprisingly luxurious.
  • Unprecedented resale value. And...my Jeeps tend to sell for more BECAUSE they weren't off-roaded. Every buyer has said that - including those who intend to off-road it.
  • Made in America
  • The image it projects - looks cool
Did I miss anything?

If I was going to off-road I'd buy a SHERP, but that wouldn't be a good daily driver. [And it certainly doesn't tread lightly] :)
Very well said! I couldn't agree more.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised your Sahara was able to handle that dirt and mud. Seriously, everyone knows the Rubicon is the only model that is designed for off-roading. You are def risking damaging your rig if you keep wheeling it. Saharas and Sports are NOT made for that abuse!!!

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
I was making fun of a Jeep on huge wheels and skinny tires the other day and it had a hi lift mounted on the hood. I was like yeah that’s never going off-road to use that. My girlfriend was like ....”that’s a mall walker right?” Lmao I laughed
Sponsored