Sponsored

I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
This post needs a lesson in, “mind your own business.” I think it’s cool if people want to mod the hell out of their rigs and go off-road. I also think it’s cool if you want to leave your rig stock and go to the mall. I’d be willing to bet the bulk of the new Wranglers sold are mall crawlers which is a good thing because without those mall crawlers filling Stelantis’ coffer, there would be no Wranglers. On a side note, malls are dead. We go to Costco.
Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I look at it differently, I don't see the need to lift my Jeep and put on giant tires. Mine is stock and I don't ever plan to rock crawl. I do wheel through the woods in upstate N.Y. I have no problem getting around the woods. I read about guys not being happy with the gearing in their transmissions or differentials. My gearing is just fine. So yep mall crawler and gonna stay that way.
This is my experience too - except I'm in SC. When I was younger (I'm 76) I had four-wheel drive vehicles that had some fairly radical mods, but my JLU engine, suspension, tires (running gear) are all stock. No extra lights, winch, been-there stickers, etc. The only additions being for comfort and security. It's my daily driver and, much of the time, my trip vehicle. However, it's only mall experience is being driven past them.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
This post has kinda gone the opposite direction of what i thought it would. People are getting offended because they dont off road and thats not what was intended. I just meant i understand why those who offroad have no interest in keeping the perfectly shiny never-used-offroad jeep. My favourite jeep is still the one on youtube sitting on red 26x14 forgiato wheels. I love them i could just never own something so nice anymore.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@LiveToWork
Jeep Wrangler JL I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers 1619362611696

Like your bronze wheel choice there, goes great on your rig! What size Mickeys are you running? Bad ass tires there :)
Glad you're having a blast, can't put a price on that :handsinair: :rock: :clap:

And FWIW, you made a much better choice there vs. those Forgiatos you were liking :)

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
@LiveToWork
Jeep Wrangler JL I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers 1619362611696

Like your bronze wheel choice there, goes great on your rig! What size Mickeys are you running? Bad ass tires there :)
Glad you're having a blast, can't put a price on that :handsinair: :rock: :clap:

And FWIW, you made a much better choice there vs. those Forgiatos you were liking :)
thanks!! Theyre 35x13.50 17s. I wish i had the space for the 38x13.50s. Theyre such a badass tire. Maybe once these wear out ill try to figure something out haha 😃

77872628-374A-48B6-A9C9-B3C2DBB448DD.jpeg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
thanks!! Theyre 35x13.50 17s. I wish i had the space for the 38x13.50s. Theyre such a badass tire. Maybe once these wear out ill try to figure something out haha 😃

Jeep Wrangler JL I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers 77872628-374A-48B6-A9C9-B3C2DBB448DD
Sweet setup! They looked to be wider than a 12.5, glad to see you're making those tires work :)

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I've learned long ago, in the car scene, that everyone has their own tastes. What many love, others abhore.
With that said, I can not stand Wranglers with big wheels. No "hate" directed towards anyone in particular, just the look and concept of having next to no sidewall on a vehicle designed to be the most capable offroad vehicle on the market is not my cup of tea whatsoever.

Nice set of 17's with some 37x12.5 or 13.5 looks just right to me. Hell people can still mall crawl on that setup too🤣

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
My JLU Sport S has never been off road or had the hard top removed or doors. It’s my daily driver and so much fun to drive. I haven’t been to the mall in maybe 15 years. I just like the looks of the 4 door Jeep. To each his own.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just to clarify, i fully respect them. I love shiny nice expensive things.

i had no intention of ever going off pavement with these mickey thompsons, but man i couldnt resist. I finally realize now just how fun it is to go do burnouts and donuts on prairie grass, hit the mud, and tear up some new trails in the hills. If these tires only last 20k kms then im gonna use them for what theyre made for.

My plan was 20x12s up to 24 inch wheels to have something flashy. But man theres nothing like going through mud and widening the ruts out while throwing hundreds of mud chunks the size of your head all over the roof. The 40 minute car wash was definitely worth the fun. Too bad theres not actually anywhere to offroad within 10 hours. Its risky tearing up city grass 😅

262AED39-0C1C-43B4-A4B0-5750666AF971.jpeg

EED0C052-11B3-4648-9505-6BBE8505DABB.jpeg
Im just gonna say i agree with you. However i can assure you when i say where i live where theres nowhere to offroad, i reallly mean theres nowhere. Im not ruining anything for anyone because there isnt a single LEGAL trail around for hours. I live in flatland prairie where theres nothing nice to look at. For some reason the green people like to protect this ugly wild grass which is all you can see. Id never destroy nature. This is all ugly gross grass. and the pictures i took show just how flat and boring it really is here.
Dude, you are just making yourself look selfish, obnoxious, destructive, and a tool.
Just stop trying to explain why you like tearing up pristine natural preserves, even if you do not like the way they look, and think there isn't a use for them.
I like slinging mud too, but in areas designated for it.
Just retract your past statements, and move along.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned long ago, in the car scene, that everyone has their own tastes. What many love, others abhore.
With that said, I can not stand Wranglers with big wheels. No "hate" directed towards anyone in particular, just the look and concept of having next to no sidewall on a vehicle designed to be the most capable offroad vehicle on the market is not my cup of tea whatsoever.

Nice set of 17's with some 37x12.5 or 13.5 looks just right to me. Hell people can still mall crawl on that setup too🤣
I agree with the tires being plenty for what i do. I'm 5'10" and was standing next to my rear drivers side tire (stock). That sucker is as high as my belt. I personally don't see a reason for bigger.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
What I hate about mall crawler is that,
They aren’t even curious.
I am into hiking. My intention was to use my Jeep on those dirt roads that are a bit too difficult for a standard car - as a way to get to and from a hike.

However, I joined my local Jeep club and I am having a great time driving over stuff that I never imagined!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dude, you are just making yourself look selfish, obnoxious, destructive, and a tool.
Just stop trying to explain why you like tearing up pristine natural preserves, even if you do not like the way they look, and think there isn't a use for them.
I like slinging mud too, but in areas designated for it.
Just retract your past statements, and move along.

I didn't catch that as I didn't read entire thread, definitely not cool!
Tread Lightly, so we can keep on treadin'!

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I own a stock Jeep and don't offroad that much. Part of it is limited legal opportunities to wheel in the region, but more of it comes from how I grew up (National Outdoor Leadership School, aka Leave No Trace). I prefer to experience nature up close, on my feet, and not from a dashboard. I still choose a Wrangler anyway because it is a Swiss Army knife on wheels that can be a roofless/doorless joy in the summer and still get us all up to the mountain trailhead in the wintertime snow. That doesn't make me a douche or a poser - I've spent way too many hours volunteering in my community to deserve being called that - it just means I try to have an even lighter environmental impact than the folks at Tread Lightly advise.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I own a stock Jeep and don't offroad that much. Part of it is limited legal opportunities to wheel in the region, but more of it comes from how I grew up (National Outdoor Leadership School, aka Leave No Trace). I prefer to experience nature up close, on my feet, and not from a dashboard. I still choose a Wrangler anyway because it is a Swiss Army knife on wheels that can be a roofless/doorless joy in the summer and still get us all up to the mountain trailhead in the wintertime snow. That doesn't make me a douche or a poser - I've spent way too many hours volunteering in my community to deserve being called that - it just means I try to have an even lighter environmental impact than the folks at Tread Lightly advise.
Take it easy. A stock Jeep does not mean it's a mall crawler. Nor does a heavily modified Jeep mean it's an off road diety. It's all about whether it's used for what it was designed for (which includes Tread Lightly) and not what it isn't designed for.
Sponsored