I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I hope Stellantis puts in the R&D Euros to create lots of profit maximizing Wrangler option packages targeted for the mall-crawler market segment so that they can afford to keep the basic off-road capable platform alive for years to come.

That would be far better than what BMW did to expand the appeal of the classic 3 series which resulted in the loss of its great driving dynamics for enthusiasts who could not afford to buy a Porsche.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Which model tire? How's it on road?
Mickey Thompson Baja pro XS. It was horrible on the road because my beads stuck to the inside of the tire so i couldnt get over 60km/h, sometimes i could hit 90kmh before violent shakes happened. But theyre the best tire Ive ever had. Very nice low howl and nice and loud on the highway(although I wish they were a bit louder). Rides super soft but the max psi was 30 so I ran them at 25. Problem with that was the tpms sensors alwways telling me my tires too low. My jeep stopped wandering with them too so that was pretty cool being able to keep the wheel straight.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you care?
Down the block from me, my neighbors (husband and wife) both have Wranglers. She told me theyā€™ve never once took off the roofs or doors. When I completely open up mine I wonder when driving by on a beautiful day, tube doors and waving if they maybe would think differently. Nope, thatā€™s ok though.
Same with off-roading.
I donā€™t ever remove the top or the doors off mine, either. I removed the top off my 2013 Rubicon once; I just canā€™t be bothered.

But I sure love to gitā€™er dirty!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
In my opinion the worst thing about a mall crawler isnā€™t the vehicle driven or the modifications, itā€™s the person. Specifically, that human beingā€™s behavior and overall disposition.

To see what I mean, attend the next large scale cars and coffee or similar vehicle meet and greet. Listen, observe, engage and then report.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yes there are different versions of mall-crawlers.

There is a large group of people, who buy Wranglers for completely different reason than you would think. Who will never take the Wrangler off-road, never make any modifications to it. Nor will they ever take off the top, or even the freedom panels.

Because, according to them (not my words) the idea of taking the top off would expose too much sunlight exposures on their skin and afraid it would darken it. Also they are constantly cold and a bit of a breeze would make them sick.

When asked, they say they buy the Wrangler because it looks safe.

Ironic isn't it. Considering it probably has the lowest crash rating of any cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a 71 year old female mall crawler. Driven Jeeps most of my adult life because they are FUN to drive. Tried other vehicles but nothing compares to the feel. It took a big chunk out of my income to buy a Jeep and what I want to do with it is my business and my choice. I don't off road but drive the old logging roads in the mountains. Practicality has nothing to do with it - we gravitate toward what makes us happy and driving my Jeep makes me happy. If it makes you sad or angry, sorry but you're not the boss of me.
Wish I could hit that like button ten times Dion.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I feel for you. Move, I did. I used to live in the ugly urban area called Detroit.

All I (personally) ask is that if you do, please keep all that city crap behind.
People here (in CO) are very nice, welcoming, and pleasant. Unfortunately more and more are escaping the big urban centers bringing their unsocial behaviors and attitudes with them. There is so much to see here. That is as long as the trails remain open.

Living in such a great place really brings you a sense of trying to keep it that way. Rocky Mountain High certainly doesn't require any kind of drug. Just being able to get high into the wilderness (anywhere) is sufficient.

You are most certainly invited.

Jay
Now that one I agree with whole heartedly. My little town (or used to be) is 20 miles from Charlotte, NC. It was quiet, peaceful, and safe. Now we're like all the small towns that encircle Atlanta. We've been taken over by out of towners that work in Charlotte. And, the sad part is they brought their bad habits with them. We live in our historic district approx. 1/2 mile from old DT proper. I have threatened to move, but my dearest loves our old house so much I just can't get her to agree. Oh well, I've learned to stay in my own little corner of my own little world now.

We have been to your great state, and it is absolutely beautiful once you get away from places like Denver. My spot would have been somewhere in a small town of Montana. But, as it is I will have to live vicariously through those of you good folks that have escaped the BS of big cities.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Mickey Thompson Baja pro XS. It was horrible on the road because my beads stuck to the inside of the tire so i couldnt get over 60km/h, sometimes i could hit 90kmh before violent shakes happened. But theyre the best tire Ive ever had. Very nice low howl and nice and loud on the highway(although I wish they were a bit louder). Rides super soft but the max psi was 30 so I ran them at 25. Problem with that was the tpms sensors alwways telling me my tires too low. My jeep stopped wandering with them too so that was pretty cool being able to keep the wheel straight.
^^This cracks me up. So those of us who are happy with our Jeepā€™s being stock get laughed at or verbally beat up but this guy hates his giant tires because it interferes with his driving.
And wait it gets better. He likes that his tires are noisy on the highway when 99.9 % of us wish our Jeepā€™s were quieter.
Iā€™ll say it again....yep Iā€™ll keep my lowly mall crawler.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So for me I view this subject a bit differently. A jeep purchased that never see dirt and gets the most basic of mods is a jeep and gets my respect.

A mall crawler are those people that buy a jeep, mod it up with 400 lights, angry grills, 22" rims on 33s with a 4"+ lift, rgb rock lights, and a green ring on the headlights, etc, etc, etc, and never see dirt.

Oh I forgot the common mod on the mall crawlers. The 200lb douche mounted to the drivers seat.

WaX

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
When Iā€™m crisscrossing between my uncles land and his neighbors to hit different fishing holes I always think about ā€œman I wish I can just stomp on it and rip it upā€ then I remember how he tells me it is a privilege to cross lands and not have to ā€œwalk inā€ cause they use this land for planting. So I take my little ol time and enjoy the views. Plus there is always those few really low rutted areas that if I hit them at a higher speed I would prob pop my kids out the back. Cant really see them as the grass starts to grow in.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
You could say the same thing to one of my running buddies. He has had 3-4 high end Porsches since I have known him (far from the base model) and never breaks the speed limit or goes to a track.

It is what he wants, so to me that is a good reason.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I look at it differently, I don't see the need to lift my Jeep and put on giant tires. Mine is stock and I don't ever plan to rock crawl. I do wheel through the woods in upstate N.Y. I have no problem getting around the woods. I read about guys not being happy with the gearing in their transmissions or differentials. My gearing is just fine. So yep mall crawler and gonna stay that way.
Steve - glad to see I am not the only one still stock. I run in (and volunteer at) long trail events in the mountains. I have no problem getting to trailheads and to remote aid stations (some of them, trucks canā€™t make it, as they are too wide). Does that still make us ā€œmall crawlers?ā€ šŸ˜€

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Steve - glad to see I am not the only one still stock. I run in (and volunteer at) long trail events in the mountains. I have no problem getting to trailheads and to remote aid stations (some of them, trucks canā€™t make it, as they are too wide). Does that still make us ā€œmall crawlers?ā€ šŸ˜€
Larry, et. al.,

Don't get hung up on the Mall Crawler moniker. Do with your Jeep whatever you want, yes even those pesky angry grills. I always still wave at them by the way.

Stock Jeeps are pretty capable machines. They were designed for a pretty particular purpose but it's up to YOU to determine what that purpose is. Clearly, every Jeep owner may have a different idea of what their Jeep is for and what they want it to do.

However, only you can gain the ultimate pleasure that your Jeep can provide, no one else can do this for you. That is unless you're happy being the passenger. Modify it (or not) the way you want, the rest of the world be damned!

As long as you are responsible with how you use it (and here even responsible is a little bit subjective), go have fun. It's your Jeep. Just remember that we are a brotherhood (like it or not) in which many would like to see us all go away. Whether due to carbon footprint, perceived eco / enviro damage, pure unadulterated vehicle envy or whatever, there are many entities in trying to limit all the really good things that we Jeepers can do.

It's your Jeep. Go to whatever really cool part of the world you care to point it. You are your own master, don't let anyone bother you about it.

At the Mall, in your driveway, down a logging trail, or high on a mountain pass, it yours to take it there, bone-stock or uniquely personalized.

Jeep on!
Sponsored