Sponsored

I finally joined the “My Jeep Suddenly Died” club [main battery was the culprit]

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I pulled up to an intersection, stopped, and the ESS engaged. The light turned green, I took my foot off of the brake, and before I could touch the gas, the wipers suddenly went halfway up the windshield and the Jeep . Put it in park and every time I hit the start button it would just click and the dash lights would go out.

I was just about to disengage the transmission and push it out of the way when a guy behind me offered to try and jump it. I wasn’t sure it would work but since I couldn’t get more stuck on the side of the road than I already was, we gave it a shot. Luckily it fired up, I turned off the ESS and got it home.

The main battery was the culprit and has been replaced with an AGM deep cycle/starting battery. However I’m a little concerned about whether or not I need to address the auxiliary battery.

Should I replace it as a precaution, or is it ok since the Jeep and the ESS is working as intended since replacing the main battery?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @Chris2183,

We're sorry to hear this happened! We understand that you are currently seeking advice from other forum members, but if you decide to visit your Jeep dealer, please send us a private message beforehand.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

something i have learned driving a f350 power stroke. always change both. if one has a problem and the other has been working harder so to speak. so IMO for peace of mind. i would

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I pulled up to an intersection, stopped, and the ESS engaged. The light turned green, I took my foot off of the brake, and before I could touch the gas, the wipers suddenly went halfway up the windshield and the Jeep . Put it in park and every time I hit the start button it would just click and the dash lights would go out.

I was just about to disengage the transmission and push it out of the way when a guy behind me offered to try and jump it. I wasn’t sure it would work but since I couldn’t get more stuck on the side of the road than I already was, we gave it a shot. Luckily it fired up, I turned off the ESS and got it home.

The main battery was the culprit and has been replaced with an AGM deep cycle/starting battery. However I’m a little concerned about whether or not I need to address the auxiliary battery.

Should I replace it as a precaution, or is it ok since the Jeep and the ESS is working as intended since replacing the main battery?
I had to replace my main battery about two weeks ago. At least in my case the incident happened in my own driveway.

I had the factory battery tested prior to change out and it did show an internal fault. I knew if I took it to the dealer the dealer would say I voided the warranty because of after market windshield wiper blades. so I didn't put myself through that misery I installed a yellow top which seems to be doing well so far. I check both batteries with a meter frequently due to loss of confidence. Founded or unfounded.

Remember to disconnect the Aux Battery from the main when testing so you actually test both independently.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear this happened. That’s never fun. Thankfully it happened to you and not your spouse or child.

I see you have a 2018 Sport S. I have a 2018 as well. Can you share how many months and miles you’ve owned it, so the rest of us know what to expect?

Thanks.

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
something i have learned driving a f350 power stroke. always change both. if one has a problem and the other has been working harder so to speak. so IMO for peace of mind. i would
HAHAHA my wife thought I was trying to pull a fast one when my first set died.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

I don't think the ESS is necessarily bad. Both batteries were used for the cold start, but only the main battery was used for the ESS restart. When the main battery failed the restart, you tried a cold start, but that was after the aux battery had been partially drained from the ESS stop. I would test the aux battery before replacing it.

OP
OP
Chris2183

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepCares I am about 800 miles out of warranty, and based off of the last two times FCA denied coverage for warranty claims, I have zero faith that they will do anything in this case as well. I appreciate the offer though.

@Geronimo funnily enough I had to replace the battery in my JK last month when it died in the driveway. Turns out it’s much less entertaining when it happens in an intersection though. I’m probably going to have a shop test the aux battery, fingers crossed it’s still good as it’s about $250 for parts and labor to replace it.

@aldo98229 September will be 2 years and I’m currently just under 37k

@COBoarder I’m currently looking at going with one of those ESS interrupters or a programmer. Once I narrow down whether or not I will feasibly use the extra features a programmer would give me, I will be making a purchase. Either way ESS is going away.

@Maverick909 I am leaning that way but it would be nice to save that cash at the moment.

OP
OP
Chris2183

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the ESS is necessarily bad. Both batteries were used for the cold start, but only the main battery was used for the ESS restart. When the main battery failed the restart, you tried a cold start, but that was after the aux battery had been partially drained from the ESS stop. I would test the aux battery before replacing it.
Interesting. I wasn’t quite sure how they worked together as some of the stuff I read made it sound like the only thing the main battery did was the initial start and the rest was done by the auxiliary battery. It sounded very counter intuitive to me as the main battery is the larger of the two.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I will say that I have replaced the factory battery in our 2013 after just two years, went to yellow top and its been strong for 4.5 years now.

I replaced the factory battery in our 2015 Rubi (almost 2 years old) went to a Yellowtop. It was in a roll over accident. I pulled the battery and Superwinch and CB radio all I was allowed to salvage. That Yellowtop is now in our RV camper running strong.

Two weeks ago our JLUR battery failed at 2 years and one month. Installed Yellowtop and hopefully it will be the last for a while.

Not getting into the battery argument,,,, Yellowtop's have worked out extremely well for me.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The ESS system that Jeep has designed is terrible, IMO.

there are far too many reports of issues.

this ESS is something that every engineer involved with creating should leave off their resume.

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Both mine died 600 miles over factory warranty. The small battery was a pain to replace.

OP
OP
Chris2183

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ESS system that Jeep has designed is terrible, IMO.

there are far too many reports of issues.
Agreed. Had it died in my driveway or a parking lot I probably would not be as miffed about it as I am now.
Sponsored