Sponsored

I don't have "the death wobble"...yet?

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
We never got a recall on our Jeep and it rides/drives just fine. It came with the tow package and upgraded axel and aside from adding 33" JT take offs it's a stock JLU Sport S.

Now we're looking to lift it but I've seen here and there those that didn't have "the death wobble" instigated it with a lift. What's the deal? We're looking at doing the Mopar 2" lift but not if we're gonna be shaken to bits.
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
We never got a recall on our Jeep and it rides/drives just fine. It came with the tow package and upgraded axel and aside from adding 33" JT take offs it's a stock JLU Sport S.

Now we're looking to lift it but I've seen here and there those that didn't have "the death wobble" instigated it with a lift. What's the deal? We're looking at doing the Mopar 2" lift but not if we're gonna be shaken to bits.
Lifting a Jeep isn't the cause of death wobble. That, along with poorly-installed or cheap suspension components could contribute to it. I'm not lifted, and I haven't had issues with DW. The thing is high up enough for me & I don't want my knees to break up with me. We make a nice threesome.

I've replaced the track bar & steering stabilizer not necessarily as preventive measures, but because of the better quality of aftermarket parts. That's not to say DW will never happen to me.

Personally, I don't think a concern of anticipated DW should keep you from lifting your rig. It may never happen. You bought it and you have plans for what you want to do with it & how you want it to look. Read up on Quadratec, ET, CJ, etc. on the DW (maybe you already have). Treat her right & buy her nice things. Do you, boo.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

If you use a quality, complete lift, like rock krawler, metal cloak, etc...and it’s installed correctly, then you won’t have any problem with death wobble. If you use the Mopar lift, it will most likely give you more like 3 inches of lift, if so, you’ll need to purchase additional parts to get the geometry correct. Make sure that whatever kit you get, has an adjustable track bar, rear track bar relocation bracket and front longer or adj. control arms...:)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
@Roky @melendez69
You guys sure you don't need a long distance Jeep GF? :devil:
Seriously, these guys are right. Use good quality parts and you'll be a happy camper. Even if you do develop DW, it's not the end of the world. It can be solved. Sometimes it takes a good detective, but there's always clues to follow. Enjoy your new jeep:like:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky @melendez69
You guys sure you don't need a long distance Jeep GF? :devil:
Seriously, these guys are right. Use good quality parts and you'll be a happy camper. Even if you do develop DW, it's not the end of the world. It can be solved. Sometimes it takes a good detective, but there's always clues to follow. Enjoy your new jeep:like:
I guess you can say we're... early "birdies"*

*golf joke

**I'll just go now

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Quality suspension components (track bar, controlling arms, steering damper), you will never get death wobble.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I had a personal experience with a 'DW' on the very first day of driving a 19 JL Sport (completely stock) 3.6L auto. I rented this Jeep on a whim after retiring an 05 Dodge Caravan with 300k miles on it. I really hated to see an old reliable friend go, but... don't want to digress.

Looking for something really new and different, I rented a 2 door JL Sport with almost 14k miles on it. I had driven it a little over an hour (all 2wd) when I came upon a railroad level crossing on state rd 66 east of Longmont CO at just under the posted speed limit of 60 mph when it happened.

The otherwise normal little 'bump' I've experienced with this same RR crossing in the mini-van was enough of a jolt to cause this jeep to just shake and wobble pretty profusely. However, and this is my take-away, is that while fairly violent in the 'wooble' I still had good control and didn't panic.

I immediately slowed down with very light brake pedal and steered slowly to the right shoulder. There was traffic directly behind me so my instinct was to not stop. Safely on the dirt shoulder at about 10 to 15 mph all wobbling ceased and there was no issue whatsoever, except for the guy behind me possibly watching a jumping jeep.

I have not been able to reproduce this again, trying various bumpy dirt roads all around Boulder and Weld counties in a more controlled and safe environment. No replication of the problem ever after that one single event.

Long story short, I was so impressed with this Jeep otherwise, that I went and purchased one almost identical. The only difference is this one is new, has the Cold Temperature group (remote start and heated seats/steering wheel) and everything else standard with the Sport S trim package. It's bright white with the black hardtop. My wife calls it 'Snoopy'.

My point after all this is that this 'DW' event while it certainly could have been more troublesome with any type of over-reaction, was an easily recoverable situation. Some may argue that it should never have happened, but this is a Jeep after all with a certain type of suspension, focused towards a more specific use (off-road).

While Snoopy with it's more meager 'open' differentials as compared to its more expensive Rubicon cousins can still go off-road, it will never try to rock-crawl or attempt anything more extreme than some back road foot hill type of trails. Anyway at least not until my off-roading skill set improves way beyond novice. This is my very first Jeep after all.

While the DW certainly sounds scary (and it very well may be under different circumstances), it is not going to rob me from one of the most fun vehicles I've ever driven. I've experienced this wobble first hand in a stock JL (no mods whatsoever) and can state that it did indeed happen. For me, while surprising and I absolutely needed to deal with this DW driving situation as an exceptional event, I never truly felt 'out-of-control'.

In summary it was nothing more than a very strange (but hopefully rare) tire blowout type of situation. One that quickly fixed itself and has not happened again. Will it happen again? Probably. Maybe. Hopefully not. Will I continue to drive it? Every day. Should I regret this? My confidence is high that I won't. But I did feel the need to warn my wife to be cognizant of it (and more importantly, share it with you and others on this forum).

For what its worth.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Not exactly accurate. As components wear, you can get it. Worn ball joints or TREs, etc. can be the cause.
Lol...#1 most obvious statement
Sponsored