I don't get the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
I think there is a market, albeit small, for those who like the Sahara trim. Personally, I would not get one but some people prefer the options on the drive train and maybe some of the other features such as the body colored fenders. Obviously people like the Sahara trim or they would stop making it. Regardless, Jeep gives you some options from the factory and with aftermarket builds so there is a great deal of flexibility. I have a 2008 stock JKU and a modded 2019 JLU and like both of them, but Jeep gives you a lot of choices which is the point...the Sahara appeals to some which is fine!
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I actually have an anecdote for this one, now! My wife's aunt is getting a red Sahara with leather and the color-matched fenders and roof. She has absolutely zero intentions of taking it off-road, and in fact, knowing her, will probably even hesitate to take it out in the rain. In her words, she just wants something that looks nice and is higher off the ground.

As I always say, I am not criticizing anybody who gets a jeep and doesn't off-road. It's a free country and you're allowed to buy whatever you want for whatever reason, and the more people who buy the more likely we'll continue to get new jeeps. But there's just a little anecdote into the thinking of one person that may also be the thinking of more people who buy a Sahara.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I actually have an anecdote for this one, now! My wife's aunt is getting a red Sahara with leather and the color-matched fenders and roof. She has absolutely zero intentions of taking it off-road, and in fact, knowing her, will probably even hesitate to take it out in the rain. In her words, she just wants something that looks nice and is higher off the ground.

As I always say, I am not criticizing anybody who gets a jeep and doesn't off-road. It's a free country and you're allowed to buy whatever you want for whatever reason, and the more people who buy the more likely we'll continue to get new jeeps. But there's just a little anecdote into the thinking of one person that may also be the thinking of more people who buy a Sahara.
This is exactly who buys a Sahara.

It’s also why Sahara drivers never seem to wave back. They’re a different kind of buyer.

They’re also far less likely to join an online forum about Jeeps.

Alh84

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep jl
if ur in high school or want something to fuck up buy a sport if u have a family buy Sahara and if u Have the money and really do serious off-roading which is very few of u on here buy a rubicon end of thread!

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
if ur in high school
How the hell are you affording a JL of any trim level in high school.

And if your family has got the kind of money where parents are paying for a new vehicle for a high schooler, well, why not get something a little nicer. You can afford it.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
How the hell are you affording a JL of any trim level in high school.

And if your family has got the kind of money where parents are paying for a new vehicle for a high schooler, well, why not get something a little nicer. You can afford it.
This ^^^^

My son wanted a wrangler when he turned 16. Our deal, he paid 1/2, and no loans.

By age 19, He had $4k saved up, and as you guessed, he could not find anything nice or reliable.

The final purchase ended up being a 1999 WK (Grand Cherokee) with inline 6 and bonded title. Paid 900 for it ($450 out of his pocket) and the rest is in the savings for either upgrades, repairs, or a future jk.

My daughter bought a 2020 JL sport s shortly after his decision (she is 2 yrs older) and she looked at Sahara and couldn't justify the additional cost. She wanted a rubicon, but decided to convert hers slowly from take offs, etc.

Lucky for her, I bought a rubicon, so she will soon be getting the suspension take offs.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
The final purchase ended up being a 1999 WK (Grand Cherokee) with inline 6 and bonded title. Paid 900 for it ($450 out of his pocket) and the rest is in the savings for either upgrades, repairs, or a future jk.
He got a great Vehicle and hats off to a great Dad!

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I picked the Sahara for several reasons.
- Limited off road usage. Daily driver with 2 kids.
- Love the interior with the Tan leather. (not the best photo)
- Sport was too limited of options and Rubicon I feared would be too rough day to day.

I had a 88 Jeep Cherokee so always loved Jeeps and love convertibles. Best option for open air top with a family while also having versatility.

EFFECTS.jpg

MVIMG_20191031_175158.jpg

MVIMG_20191031_114942.jpg

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Here's why the Sahara made sense to me, as a daily driver and family fun vehicle that will see little if any off-road but lots of snow:

1. numerically lower axle and transfer ratio should provide better economy and less slippage in the snow (theoretically);
2. 18" wheels should provide less tire squirm on pavement;
3. Less stuff to fix that I won't be using anyway (electronic disconnects and lockers);
4. Limited Slip rear end is preferred (by me) in the snow;
5. It was less expensive than the Rubicon;
6. They didn't have a manual Rubicon on the lot, so not sure if I would have made a costly decision if they did ;)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I picked the Sahara for several reasons.
- Limited off road usage. Daily driver with 2 kids.
- Love the interior with the Tan leather. (not the best photo)
- Sport was too limited of options and Rubicon I feared would be too rough day to day.

I had a 88 Jeep Cherokee so always loved Jeeps and love convertibles. Best option for open air top with a family while also having versatility.

MVIMG_20191031_175158.jpg

MVIMG_20191031_114942.jpg
Love the saddle seats!

It would have been killer if they continued the saddle on the dashboard...

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Here's why my Sahara based MOAB made sense to me. You ready for it? It because it had everything I wanted and the color I wanted.
Moab was the ideal package for me as well. It had exactly what I wanted: Sahara fenders, painted top, Rubicon hood, standard Selec-Trac, leather, steel bumpers and rock rails. But they were few and far between when I went shopping for a JL.

Rla1022

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Moab
Moab was the ideal package for me as well. It had exactly what I wanted: Sahara fenders, painted top, Rubicon hood, standard Selec-Trac, leather, steel bumpers and rock rails. But they were few and far between when I went shopping for a JL.
Exactly. It's my favorite. Im not a rock crawler and love the trails that don't require me destroying my Jeep. The Selec-Trac was great in Colorado on the Alipne Loop. Though I still don't understand how to use the hill descent control.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
This is exactly who buys a Sahara.
Not exactly on all accounts. I've seen comments from Rubi owners who have no plans to take it off road. They bought it because they liked the aggressive look.

It’s also why Sahara drivers never seem to wave back. They’re a different kind of buyer.
I wave to every Jeep while in my Sahara and by far I get no waves from more stock Sport owners.

They’re also far less likely to join an online forum about Jeeps.
I see a good collection of Sahara owners on here. A possible reason you see few(er) Sahara owners is because they tend to get looked down upon by a select few snobbish elitist Rubicon owners and they dont want to deal with it. I could care less if someone thinks they're better than me because they drive a Rubi. At the end of the day I'm happy with my selection, I'm the one using it based upon my needs. I can mod it just as well as the Sport or Rubi owner, as long as I can pay for it :crying: . And more importantly I'm my own person, not needing validation from others based upon what I drive.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.