I don't get the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So they walk around to the blue Renegade , next to the blue Compass ;)
I can't remember the last time I saw an ocean blue renegade or compass around here. The chances of one showing up at the same food place at the same time is pretty low lol.
Sponsored

Alh84

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep jl
I bought a New 2018 Sport Jl In August oof 2019. It has all the bells and whistles my buddies Sahara has except for the painted fenders and roof. I see no reason to buy a Sahara.
U don’t have everything a fully loaded Sahara has and the painted fenders and roof are reason enough to buy the Sahara the black fenders and roof look cheap.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
U don’t have everything a fully loaded Sahara has and the painted fenders and roof are reason enough to buy the Sahara the black fenders and roof look cheap.
Indeed. Another is to get the nicer interior parts: the extra padded door armrests and center console with matched stitching on the dashboard, shifter boot and steering wheel; the larger screen, fancy HVAC, etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara 1593520299076

Inside my Sahara looks and feels nicer than some so-called “luxurious” cars I owned in the past.

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
IROC-Z? Or was that a late 80's thing? I was a young Mustang 5.0 fan boy at the time but respected all things fast.....
Well if you're an older guy, like me, we could talk Yenko COPO 427 Camaro circa 1969.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I bought a New 2018 Sport Jl In August oof 2019. It has all the bells and whistles my buddies Sahara has except for the painted fenders and roof. I see no reason to buy a Sahara.
Funny, we have 2 Saharas and the reason we went with that trim was the color matching fenders. Plus we needed selec trac for winter. Go figure.
Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara IMG_0741.JPG

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Black hard top is the way to go. I'd be too worried about all of the branches scratching the paint when I'm off road.

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Funny, we have 2 Saharas and the reason we went with that trim was the color matching fenders. Plus we needed selec trac for winter. Go figure.
Now you can get Selec Trac on the Sport. So it is only the color-matched fenders and hard top that delineate the Sahara. But the color matched hard-top isn't standard.

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Indeed. Another is to get the nicer interior parts: the extra padded door armrests and center console with matched stitching on the dashboard, shifter boot and steering wheel; the larger screen, fancy HVAC, etc.

Inside my Sahara looks and feels nicer than some so-called “luxurious” cars I owned in the past.
I agree. I think that should be the standard interior on a Sahara.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Now you can get Selec Trac on the Sport. So it is only the color-matched fenders and hard top that delineate the Sahara. But the color matched hard-top isn't standard.
I'm sure he'll trade both in right now... :giggle:

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm sure he'll trade both in right now... :giggle:
No clearly he likes the Sahara look with the color matched so that is a good reason to buy a Sahara.

Selec Trac was a good reason too. So was 8.4 Infotainment, leather seats, Led headlights, HD Brakes, 18-inch wheels, one-touch top, etc. I am just saying that now it is much more jumbled.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No clearly he likes the Sahara look with the color matched so that is a good reason to buy a Sahara.

Selec Trac was a good reason too. So was 8.4 Infotainment, leather seats, Led headlights, HD Brakes, 18-inch wheels, one-touch top, etc. I am just saying that now it is much more jumbled.
Much more jumbled yes. I would say the Sahara bundles all of that together and simplifies the purchasing process off the lot. You CAN order a Sport S with absolutely everything on it that puts it in an overlap with the Sahara and Rubicon pricing and equipment (minus the goodies only on the Rubi) but how many dealers get those instead of a group with a variety of options that are priced below their stock of Saharas.
I think the Sahara still makes sense in that context, but I do see your point. I just did a build and price on this Sport S that got it up to 57 grand by clicking pretty much every single option. At that point, I would say why not Rubicon?

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara 1593524179152

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.html#/buil...DH,RC4,CMD,CBQ,NHK,MRU,RSD,MHJ,X9,PBM,26S,APA

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Much more jumbled yes. I would say the Sahara bundles all of that together and simplifies the purchasing process off the lot. You CAN order a Sport S with absolutely everything on it that puts it in an overlap with the Sahara and Rubicon pricing and equipment (minus the goodies only on the Rubi) but how many dealers get those instead of a group with a variety of options that are priced below their stock of Saharas.
I think the Sahara still makes sense in that context, but I do see your point. I just did a build and price on this Sport S that got it up to 57 grand by clicking pretty much every single option. At that point, I would say why not Rubicon?

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara 1593524179152

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.html#/buil...DH,RC4,CMD,CBQ,NHK,MRU,RSD,MHJ,X9,PBM,26S,APA
About a year ago. I priced out a no option Rubicon and a Sport S with options to make it as close to a no option Rubicon as possible. The S came in about $4K less. With what you still got over the Sport S, the Rubicon was a bargain IMO. The Sport S still missed front D44, Lockers, 4:1 transfer case, high fenders, little bit of lift, larger tires, etc.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
About a year ago. I priced out a no option Rubicon and a Sport S with options to make it as close to a no option Rubicon as possible. The S came in about $4K less. With what you still got over the Sport S, the Rubicon was a bargain IMO. The Sport S still missed front D44, Lockers, 4:1 transfer case, high fenders, little bit of lift, larger tires, etc.
Yeah, I think matching option for option that Sport S I built would clear 60 grand as a Rubicon. The Diesel engine would be the biggest chunk of that, lol. But it would still have the advantage of the Rock Trak transfer case, the lockers, suspension, dissconnects ect.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I think that should be the standard interior on a Sahara.
The door and center armrests with extra padding and the matching stitching are standard. So is the stitching on top of the dashboard, even with the cloth seats.

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
I ordered my 2020 exactly the way I wanted it, and ended up with a Sahara. With what I wanted; 3.6 eTorque, Sky one-touch, nicer interior (stitching on doors, dash, console) and the 'leather' panels on the face of the dash, select-trac, better suspension & brakes, etc. - it was the only way to go.

To be honest, if I could have bought a Rubicon without the lockers & disco sway bar, that's what I would have gotten - I guess Moab but with the Rubi wheels/tires instead of m/t (Moab wasn't available anymore when I ordered). For the type of trails/beaches/water crossing/boat launches I do, the Wrangler is more than capable without those bits, and I didn't want the added complexity.

If I was buying a 2021 based on the new order guide, I would still land on the Sahara for the better brakes, suspension & interior ... really like the upgraded interior, contrasting stitching, and the dash insert. Now that Select trac is available on the Rubi, that would almost sway me, but now that I see how I use my Jeep I am more than convinced I would never need/use the lockers and disco sway bar - so still Sahara.

Rubi wheels/tires (done), and debadged Rubi vented hood (planned) + Sahara = I have my dream Wrangler.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.