Not open for further replies.

JLSahara22

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude
You can get body color hardtop and 8.4 in the sport now? That wasn't the case the past three years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You can get body color hardtop and 8.4 in the sport now? That wasn't the case the past three years.
You can get 8.4. You cannot get Body Color hard top or flares.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
What they should do is let you completely build a Sport. You should be able to pick axles, gear ratio (up to 3.73, reserve 4.10 for Rubicon), add factory lockers or LSD, and really just get down with the options..Sport should start as it does at base level, and then everything else can be added.
This would be really ideal!

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This would be really ideal!
Under my proposal you would get that. Because Rubicon would just be a rock-crawler package you could add to any trim. And it would include upgraded axles, gears, lockers, transfer case, and electronic disconnect.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Under my proposal you would get that. Because Rubicon would just be a rock-crawler package you could add to any trim. And it would include upgraded axles, gears, lockers, transfer case, and electronic disconnect.
ThirtyOne 2020 - Builds we can believe in!

I'd vote for you :fist bump:

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep kind of did this when JK first came out.

In 2007-08 you could order a base model “X” with 4.10 gears, rear locker and electronic sway bar disconnect

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Wait until you see what they have for 2022!

OK. Imma gonna tell my age. Back in the old days manufacturers would just make a base model vehicle, and then the option list was a mile long. You could simple check the boxes you liked without any "Oh yeah, if you want that option you have to buy these 2 others options." Options you may not want. I understand in an effort to streamline the building of cars they came up with packages, and that's OK. But in them old day you could come up with a vehicle that may be a one of a kind build, and be exactly the vehicle you wanted.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The more bundled packages the automakers offer, the more money we can save; the more separate option boxes we need to check, the more money we have to pay. It is that simple.

The three basic elements driving auto consumer demand and sales are (1) quality and durability, (2) Safety, (3) Value for money.

There are statistical procedures to determine what options should be bundled together to create these value packages. None of this is rocket science. But FCA has to be willing to spend the time and money upfront to do the research and develop these packages. Instead, it is slapping stickers and badges, creating a sea of "editions" that are having the opposite effect of creating less differentiation among each other.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I also think more people than not buy by going to the dealership rather than direct ordering, at least in my area. I've never custom-ordered a vehicle in my life, and I don't know anybody who has. If you're just going to dealerships and browsing what is on hand, the options checklist doesn't come into play as much as if you're gonna sit down on a computer and build one. So the Saharas on the lot very well may seem "luxury" and have lots of other options that the Sports on the lot just don't have, so to most buyers that will be a big difference to justify the price increase.
I agree. Here in the east you look at a Sahara on a lot, and the vast majority will have the leather interior while the Sport, and Sport S will have cloth. That makes it easier to sell the Sahara to those that want leather, and of course there is also a bigger profit margin for the dealer. Unlike you I have always special ordered our new vehicles to get exactly the options I wanted, and when I sat down to search for that perfectly optioned Sahara I just knew I would have to order it also. Reason being is I think that the people who orders the vehicles at every dealer went to the same class. And, most of the time the options they order are all over the board, and don't make since to me. But, luckily I found I that perfect JLU Sahara with the options I wanted, plus a couple more that I'm glad I have now in one of the three colors the wife, and I liked. And, it was only 20 miles away. :clap: I expect that's first, and last time that will ever happen for me. :)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m holding out a bit longer.

if Jeep comes out with the planned Rubicon Sport Freedom Altitude Recon Edition with the optional soap dispenser as planned in 2022, I’ll trade my 2020 in a heartbeat.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m holding out a bit longer.

if Jeep comes out with the planned Rubicon Sport Freedom Altitude Recon Edition with the optional soap dispenser as planned in 2022, I’ll trade my 2020 in a heartbeat.
You forgot the High Altidude Rubicon that will have lockers and sway bar disconnect but 20" wheels and HT tires.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I wonder how this see of trim options affects dealer ordering, and consumer knowledge when shopping for those that buy off the lot.

First, how does the dealer choose what to order of the dozen or so trim packages? Which is going to be the fastest sell? Do they order a few of each trim? Do they load of on one type of trim? How are they supposed to figure it out?

And then when you're average uninformed customer walks in, how do they make sense of what trim has what, and what they should keep their eye out for? If there were only three trims, they might have had some suggestions from others of what to be searching for. But with a dozen, how do you even keep anything straight? We on the forums are pretty knowledgeable, but hardly any of us can keep these trims straight in our mind.

Or does all this confusion actually make an easier sale for the dealer? Is it so incomprehensible that the consumer gets overwhelmed and just takes whatever they happen to be looking at?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how this see of trim options affects dealer ordering, and consumer knowledge when shopping for those that buy off the lot.

First, how does the dealer choose what to order of the dozen or so trim packages? Which is going to be the fastest sell? Do they order a few of each trim? Do they load of on one type of trim? How are they supposed to figure it out?

And then when you're average uninformed customer walks in, how do they make sense of what trim has what, and what they should keep their eye out for? If there were only three trims, they might have had some suggestions from others of what to be searching for. But with a dozen, how do you even keep anything straight? We on the forums are pretty knowledgeable, but hardly any of us can keep these trims straight in our mind.

Or does all this confusion actually make an easier sale for the dealer? Is it so incomprehensible that the consumer gets overwhelmed and just takes whatever they happen to be looking at?
Add to that the fact that your average salesperson has been in the job 3 weeks and knows very little about Jeeps. Then give him 15 different Wrangler versions x 2 body styles x 3 motors x 2 transmissions x a multitude of options....in addition to a mind-boggling number of Ram pickup truck combinations, Gladiators, Renegades, Compasses, Cherokees, Chargers, Challengers, Pacificas... Good luck getting a straight answer.

A lot of buyers are going to be taking whatever Wrangler the dealer has a deal on.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.