First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
So again. If it is not more luxurious than a Sport S, than what is it that differentiates it from the Altitude Edition for example?
Not sure your definition of luxurious, but in my mind luxurious is not associated with wrangler. I have no idea why they are adding all of confusing editions.
Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
While the Wrangler shouldn't have a luxury trim like a Mercedes, it could have a luxury trim like a Land Rover. Still a workhorse, but with a bit of finish to it that gives it that gentleman feel. I never really understood that Land Rover appeal until spending time in South African, but I can now somewhat comprehend that appeal.

I think Jeep was on to the right approach when the introduced the Sahara trim on the YJ. Unique, more sophisticated colors. Special graphics. Special fabrics. Pockets and straps! Just more special all around.

p_wrangler_sahara_1543537109c0f88021bc92fbIMG_8553.jpg

6642f3b2253e7Screen-Shot-2018-12-12-at-12.30.17-PM.png

_jeep_wrangler_sahara_1543537072ef3ac0f880IMG_8550.jpg

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Like Trump derangement syndrome we often see Rubicon derangement syndrome (RDS) on here.

Real men buy Rubicons, or buy Sports and upgrade the shit out of them.

Real men only buy Saharas for their daughters and maybe wives once kids are out of the house.

Real men only drive Saharas when ensuring it is clean, fueled, and well maintained to keep the wife and daughter safe.

(FYI this was sarcasm.... I love all JL's equally, and even starting to warm up to JT's!)
I don’t think it’s sarcasm, I think you’re dead right!

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Something I’ve realized over the years when thinking about cars. You would be incredibly surprised to see the demand data behind “wants” that are completely opposite of what you think are best.

The Sahara trim makes no sense to me. But here in Southern California I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the most popular. It gives a lot of these city people a sense of polish and ruggedness in one. And priced at 40-45k, it’s a “affordable” vehicle to the masses.

Sponsored

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

While the Wrangler shouldn't have a luxury trim like a Mercedes, it could have a luxury trim like a Land Rover. Still a workhorse, but with a bit of finish to it that gives it that gentleman feel. I never really understood that Land Rover appeal until spending time in South African, but I can now somewhat comprehend that appeal.

I think Jeep was on to the right approach when the introduced the Sahara trim on the YJ. Unique, more sophisticated colors. Special graphics. Special fabrics. Pockets and straps! Just more special all around.

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara _jeep_wrangler_sahara_1543537072ef3ac0f880IMG_8550

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara _jeep_wrangler_sahara_1543537072ef3ac0f880IMG_8550

Wow! Beautiful ol’ Sahara! :like:

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

p_wrangler_sahara_1543537109c0f88021bc92fbIMG_8553.jpg

6642f3b2253e7Screen-Shot-2018-12-12-at-12.30.17-PM.png

_jeep_wrangler_sahara_1543537072ef3ac0f880IMG_8550.jpg
Exactly. And i love a clean YJ. Thanks for posting these.

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not sure your definition of luxurious, but in my mind luxurious is not associated with wrangler. I have no idea why they are adding all of confusing editions.
So you don’t get the Sahara either? Glad we agree.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So hear me out. The Sahara is maybe the street Wrangler, or sometimes referred to as the more luxurious Wrangler.

But if you look at the 2021 order guide there is barely anything you can get on a Sahara you can't get on a Sport. And the few things you can't (body colored fenders, body colored top) you can get on a Rubicon.

At this point the trims don't make any sense. It's not that a Sahara is bad, it is that the things that would make the Sahara a meaningful trim don't come standard. Leather seats, safety packages, premium soft top or body color hard top, headliners, alpine, 8.4 infotainment, LED lights. These should all be standard on the Sahara.

As it is they have to offer everything they offer on a Sahara on a Rubicon because Rubicon owners have to get whatever they want. Otherwise they pout.

Ideally, Jeep would have three core trims:

Base - Like Sport today
Mid-Tier - Like Sport S today but with a better name
Luxury - Sahara with the standard features above

Rubicon should be an off-road package that can be added to any of the above. Truly special vehicles like the Mojave would be a trim level with its own set of options.

Tell me I'm wrong.

(Edited because I didn't realize that Selec-Trac is available on the Sport.)
Lawrence... I've considered you my friend...

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara 1593170244908

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
From the perspective of the owner of 2 Sahara JLU's...

The main option Rubi's have that I don't (but I would like), is the locker. Pretty much everything else can be gotten on the Sahara (or at least easily upgraded to) that I know of...

To me, the Rubicon has a stiffer suspension which makes for a less comfortable highway ride. I have taken my Sahara off road several times and it performs nicely, but the locker would have come in handy a time or two. I recently put one of the new Rubi wheel/tire combos on my Sahara and they actually ride better than the stock highway Sahara tires did...

Personally, I like the look of the Rubi, but the comfort of the Sahara...

Jeep Wrangler JL I don't get the Sahara IMG_7292

Sponsored

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think the biggest reason for the trim now is two fold. One is to not give up the well marketed name. The other is to give you the options as a standard features instead of having to order them specifically. Yes you can get most of the options on other trims now but some buyers are too lazy to look up trim options or more importantly not willing to order a vehicle. They want it on the lot with the options they want and the Sahara gives them a lot of the "fancy" stuff already part of the package.

Standard features on Sahara that Sport S doesn't have:
  1. HD brakes
  2. 18" wheels (may be a negative thing to some people)
  3. Technology group
  4. Leather dash
  5. Ambient LED lighting (interior "mood" lights)
  6. Console light
  7. Injection molded rear bumper (minor difference from blow molded, but there is a difference. Primarily with a slightly more precise/consistent shape)
  8. Side steps
  9. Body color fender flares, and body accents
  10. 7" radio screen
  11. Apple Carplay & Google Auto
  12. Dual USB ports
  13. GPS antenna (you can activate gps later with no need for more equipment/mods)
  14. Voice command with bluetooth
  15. XM radio (1 year subscription)
  16. USB host flip
  17. Automatic temperate control
  18. 7" color gauge cluster (instead of black and white 3.5" cluster)
  19. 115V Auxiliary outlet
  20. Garage door opener
  21. Urethane shift nob.
  22. Daytime running lights
  23. Hill start assist
  24. Push button start
Options available on Sahara, but not on Sport S:
  1. Sky One-Tough power top
  2. Color matched hard top
  3. Remote start
  4. Proximity keys
  5. 3.6L etorque engine (not sure what's different than the standard 3.6L, but it's listed)

That's Sahara compared to Sport S. A base Sport and Sahara are likely more differences, but I didn't look at all the details on that one.
So are all those the "end all be all" of luxury? No, and a lot of the features are available on other trims. However 24 things being already there standard without having to add it makes it much easier to drive up to a dealership and pick one off the lot with the "fancy" stuff you want. No wait time for orders, and typically incentives require you to take delivery from dealer stock.

In 2018 when the JL first came out, and I was ordering mine, there weren't a bunch of trims to choose from. Many of the options on one trim were not available on the next. So to that end, the OP is right that there's not much difference between trims now. I get why they still make them, and there are some differences if you look close enough. I guess the OP's point though was that you shouldn't have to look that close. Although we could say the same about any trim compared to the next. Minor difference between them and a lot of the features are able to be added.

Typically, buying a package with the features standard is close to the same price but you usually get a few little bonuses that the "lesser" package doesn't have and can't add (the leather dash for example). That said, if you don't add them all you'll probably save money buy choosing the cheaper package and adding things. That's assuming you're willing to order instead of buying off the lot.
Good post, though not accurate. I think we fundamentally agree. Sahara should distinguish itself through standard options. I just think the current Sahara doesn't do that. I think it should go up in price and features to do that and make LEDs, Leather, Remote Proximity, Premium Soft Top/Body Colored Hard Top, and 8.4 Infotainment standard.

I also agree that having a la cart options on Sport S is a good thing for consumers, so you don't have to get packages and trims to get the specific things you want.

But just to clarify some of your examples. You listed 5 things you can't get on a Sport S that you can get on a Sahara. of them, 3 are available on the Sport S:

- Sky One-Touch
- Remote Start
- 3.6L ETorque

You list 24 things that are standard on the Sahara and not on the Sport. Of these, 4 are standard on the Sport:

- Voice command w/Bluetooth
- Urethane Shift Knob
- Hill Start Assist
- Push Button Start

One item you listed is not standard on the Sahara:

- Leather dash panel (requires leather interior option)

Of the remaining 19 items, 8 are part of the Technology Group:

- Technology Group
- 7" Radio
- Carplay/googlpay
- gps antenna
- XM Radio
- USB Host Flip
- Auto Temp Control
- 7" Gauge Cluster

While the Technology Group is not standard on the Sport S, it is required. The difference is subtle, but essentially you can't get a 2021 Sport S without it so we might as well consider it standard. Curiously the only special edition where it is not required is the Sport Altitude, which is the edition most like the Sahara. But I did a search and of 53 Sport Altitudes within 200 miles of me, 52 have the Technology Group. So it's basically optioned on every Sport S.

Of the remaining 11, 2 are standard on Sport Special Editions:

- 18 inch wheels (Sport Altitude)
- HD Brakes (Willys Sport, Willys, Sport Altitude)

The Sahara shocks are also on the Altitude. The Sport Altitude is basically a base Sahara with black accents. And just to make things more confusing there is a Sahara version of the Altitude, which is already basically a Sahara. The difference between the two? Those body color fenders and hard top.

These are the 9 things that are standard on a Sahara and not on a base Sport Altitude w/Technology Group:

- Ambient LED
- Console Light
- Sahara Rear Bumper
- Side Steps
- Body Fender Flares
- Dual USB Ports
- 115V Aux Outlet
- Garage Door Opener
- Daytime Running Lights

So those are things. But enough to differentiate it as a separate trim level?

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
From the perspective of the owner of 2 Sahara JLU's...

The main option Rubi's have that I don't (but I would like), is the locker. Pretty much everything else can be gotten on the Sahara (or at least easily upgraded to) that I know of...

To me, the Rubicon has a stiffer suspension which makes for a less comfortable highway ride. I have taken my Sahara off road several times and it performs nicely, but the locker would have come in handy a time or two. I recently put one of the new Rubi wheel/tire combos on my Sahara and they actually ride better than the stock highway Sahara tires did...

Personally, I like the look of the Rubi, but the comfort of the Sahara...

IMG_7292.jpeg
Yeah I never said I don't like a Sahara. I think that comfort and plushness is what should make it unique. I just don't think the base Sahara really gets you there any more than a Sport S.

What options do you have on your Saharas?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Good post, though not accurate. I think we fundamentally agree. Sahara should distinguish itself through standard options. I just think the current Sahara doesn't do that. I think it should go up in price and features to do that and make LEDs, Leather, Remote Proximity, Premium Soft Top/Body Colored Hard Top, and 8.4 Infotainment standard.

I also agree that having a la cart options on Sport S is a good thing for consumers, so you don't have to get packages and trims to get the specific things you want.

But just to clarify some of your examples. You listed 5 things you can't get on a Sport S that you can get on a Sahara. of them, 3 are available on the Sport S:

- Sky One-Touch
- Remote Start
- 3.6L ETorque

You list 24 things that are standard on the Sahara and not on the Sport. Of these, 4 are standard on the Sport:

- Voice command w/Bluetooth
- Urethane Shift Knob
- Hill Start Assist
- Push Button Start

One item you listed is not standard on the Sahara:

- Leather dash panel (requires leather interior option)

Of the remaining 19 items, 8 are part of the Technology Group:

- Technology Group
- 7" Radio
- Carplay/googlpay
- gps antenna
- XM Radio
- USB Host Flip
- Auto Temp Control
- 7" Gauge Cluster

While the Technology Group is not standard on the Sport S, it is required. The difference is subtle, but essentially you can't get a 2021 Sport S without it so we might as well consider it standard. Curiously the only special edition where it is not required is the Sport Altitude, which is the edition most like the Sahara. But I did a search and of 53 Sport Altitudes within 200 miles of me, 52 have the Technology Group. So it's basically optioned on every Sport S.

Of the remaining 11, 2 are standard on Sport Special Editions:

- 18 inch wheels (Sport Altitude)
- HD Brakes (Willys Sport, Willys, Sport Altitude)

The Sahara shocks are also on the Altitude. The Sport Altitude is basically a base Sahara with black accents. And just to make things more confusing there is a Sahara version of the Altitude, which is already basically a Sahara. The difference between the two? Those body color fenders and hard top.

These are the 9 things that are standard on a Sahara and not on a base Sport Altitude w/Technology Group:

- Ambient LED
- Console Light
- Sahara Rear Bumper
- Side Steps
- Body Fender Flares
- Dual USB Ports
- 115V Aux Outlet
- Garage Door Opener
- Daytime Running Lights

So those are things. But enough to differentiate it as a separate trim level?
Make the North Edition or the Altitude the base Sahara. That would distinguish it a bit more from the Sport S. With my Jeep, its essentially not very different from a well optioned Sport S. The Full LED package and the body color fenders being the main difference.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Right. Except for 2021 they offer Selec-Trac on every trim. So try again.
So what, that is a good thing, now customers can order the Select Trac as an option on the sport or Sahara as upgrade.

They can also get a Full time Rock Trac on the Rubicon.
FCA is listening to customers.

Maybe someone wants a low option sport but wants the FT Selec Trac.

Also this means probably in 10 yrs there will be more of these T-cases in the junkyard for spare parts for people searching for them, that is a good thing.

I have 02WJ with the NV242HD FT Select Trac T-case, specifically bought the Laredo with the 4.7 and that T-case, they are very rare to find, I got lucky a few yrs back at local boneyard and found my Jeeps twin, same color and options. SO I pulled the T-case, Drive Shafts, PCM, BCM, head unit, all the switches, overhead console/EVIC and bunch of other stuff for 50$ :)

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Make the North Edition or the Altitude the base Sahara. That would distinguish it a bit more from the Sport S. With my Jeep, its essentially not very different from a well optioned Sport S. The Full LED package and the body color fenders being the main difference.
Yeah they would have been better off not releasing the Sport Altitude. It is what really blurs the line between Sport and Sahara. But they have been getting closer anyway.

In 2018, you couldn't get a Sport with:

- Leather
- LED
- Sky One-Touch
- Full-time 4WD
- 8.4 Infotainment
- HD Brakes
- 18 inch wheels
- Dual USB Ports
- 115 Aux Outlet

Now you can.
Sponsored