Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Of all of the luxury vehicles I've owned I certainly wouldn't put a Jeep Sahara into a comparable class. I think of quiet, smooth ride, tight, looks the part and whatever else you want to add. Those are not the qualities of a Jeep Wrangler...any model.
So again. If it is not more luxurious than a Sport S, than what is it that differentiates it from the Altitude Edition for example?
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I mean the Sahara was the top of the line Wrangler until they introduced the Rubicon in 2003. Probably hard to let the model go.
Might not be that hard considering they already discontinued the 2-door Sahara in the US

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've been pondering the same thing.

When I bought my wife her Sahara in 2019, the trim levels were more defined. There was a lot of things you couldn't get on a Sport that could only be had on a Sahara or Rubicon. But now, almost everything that I wanted that required me to get a Sahara can now be had on the Sport, and for a good deal less money.

So what is the Sahara then? A luxury model? Well, what makes it a luxury model? Silver spray paint on the grill and bumper inserts!

Almost everything else can be had on other trims. Sky One Touch top, LSD, 8.4 headunit, and even the Sahara bumper is on the sport now.

If there are going to keep the Sahara as the luxury model, they need to make the exterior truly special. Get rid of that cheap spray paint, and perhaps offer true brushed aluminum bits to match the wheels. Get rid of that Nissan bumper and offer the steel bumper from the Rubicon. Do something different with those plastic side steps. Maybe a more significant logo than just those small SAHARA letters.

Or just make the Sahara package another special trim package of the Sport like the Willys is.

Stella Mods_09.jpg
31, I was going to say the same thing. The must have options that came with Sahara is the reason I bought one. Problem with the Sport S now is that if you want this, you can't have that. And, if you want that you can't have this. So, I would still have to get the Sahara. Strange, but I've seen this done by Ford also. They're tricky that way, and forces you to step up a level to get some of those must have options. As my dear old Dad used to say, "It's a profit thang." :)

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Seems like you have a bias against us Rubicon owners. You said the Rubicon and Sahara "are fighting it out", never seen two jealous vehicles.

So according to you, all manufacturers should march to the way "Ford" does it so that you can understand it?

I suppose you have the same critique of the Gladiator models?
Like Trump derangement syndrome we often see Rubicon derangement syndrome (RDS) on here.

Real men buy Rubicons, or buy Sports and upgrade the shit out of them.

Real men only buy Saharas for their daughters and maybe wives once kids are out of the house.

Real men only drive Saharas when ensuring it is clean, fueled, and well maintained to keep the wife and daughter safe.

(FYI this was sarcasm.... I love all JL's equally, and even starting to warm up to JT's!)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Real men only drive Saharas when ensuring it is clean, fueled, and well maintained to keep the wife and daughter sons safe.
Hey, that's me :like:
I guess I just like having clean, fueled, and well maintained vehicles :dance:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I think the biggest reason for the trim now is two fold. One is to not give up the well marketed name. The other is to give you the options as a standard features instead of having to order them specifically. Yes you can get most of the options on other trims now but some buyers are too lazy to look up trim options or more importantly not willing to order a vehicle. They want it on the lot with the options they want and the Sahara gives them a lot of the "fancy" stuff already part of the package.

Standard features on Sahara that Sport S doesn't have:
  1. HD brakes
  2. 18" wheels (may be a negative thing to some people)
  3. Technology group
  4. Leather dash
  5. Ambient LED lighting (interior "mood" lights)
  6. Console light
  7. Injection molded rear bumper (minor difference from blow molded, but there is a difference. Primarily with a slightly more precise/consistent shape)
  8. Side steps
  9. Body color fender flares, and body accents
  10. 7" radio screen
  11. Apple Carplay & Google Auto
  12. Dual USB ports
  13. GPS antenna (you can activate gps later with no need for more equipment/mods)
  14. Voice command with bluetooth
  15. XM radio (1 year subscription)
  16. USB host flip
  17. Automatic temperate control
  18. 7" color gauge cluster (instead of black and white 3.5" cluster)
  19. 115V Auxiliary outlet
  20. Garage door opener
  21. Urethane shift nob.
  22. Daytime running lights
  23. Hill start assist
  24. Push button start
Options available on Sahara, but not on Sport S:
  1. Sky One-Tough power top
  2. Color matched hard top
  3. Remote start
  4. Proximity keys
  5. 3.6L etorque engine (not sure what's different than the standard 3.6L, but it's listed)

That's Sahara compared to Sport S. A base Sport and Sahara are likely more differences, but I didn't look at all the details on that one.
So are all those the "end all be all" of luxury? No, and a lot of the features are available on other trims. However 24 things being already there standard without having to add it makes it much easier to drive up to a dealership and pick one off the lot with the "fancy" stuff you want. No wait time for orders, and typically incentives require you to take delivery from dealer stock.

In 2018 when the JL first came out, and I was ordering mine, there weren't a bunch of trims to choose from. Many of the options on one trim were not available on the next. So to that end, the OP is right that there's not much difference between trims now. I get why they still make them, and there are some differences if you look close enough. I guess the OP's point though was that you shouldn't have to look that close. Although we could say the same about any trim compared to the next. Minor difference between them and a lot of the features are able to be added.

Typically, buying a package with the features standard is close to the same price but you usually get a few little bonuses that the "lesser" package doesn't have and can't add (the leather dash for example). That said, if you don't add them all you'll probably save money buy choosing the cheaper package and adding things. That's assuming you're willing to order instead of buying off the lot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I think there needs to be more packages. Feast your eyes on the Wrangler SRT-4 package:

2-door only
2.0 only
manual or auto transmission (with paddle shifters of course)
eTorque, but with a way more powerful BSG
full-time AWD with low-range AWD
Rubicon width axles & brakes, 4.10 ratio
JT steering box
20" high altitude wheels
Hardtop only, with painted everything
Sport height suspension with better shocks
Mojave seats & steering wheel
Cheesy SRT-4 hood graphics
Base price?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I have nothing against Rubicon owners. I plan to be one some day. But they do feel like because of the higher base price they want the option to check any box they want. But some just care about capability, so they want a more stripped version.

So they have created a weird situation where the most capable vehicle is also the highest trim level, and therefore has all the luxury features, but at the same time has very few standard options so it is also not the highest trim level.

Again, I think that is good for Jeep buyers. A base Rubicon is a pretty good value. But it is confusing because the Sahara also have all the same luxury options but for some reason none of them are standard on the Sahara either.

If they were standard on the Sahara it would make the base Sahara more expensive than a Rubicon, which would add to the confusion.

So my way is better.

And if Jeep had this all figured out, well then I just point out the 2021 Order Guide as exhibit A. Where they have basically just given up and put every option on every trim level and created 15 special editions which are just option packages.
Wait until you see what they have for 2022!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think the biggest reason for the trim now is two fold. One is to not give up the well marketed name. The other is to give you the options as a standard features instead of having to order them specifically. Yes you can get most of the options on other trims now but some buyers are too lazy to look up trim options or more importantly not willing to order a vehicle. They want it on the lot with the options they want and the Sahara gives them a lot of the "fancy" stuff already part of the package.

Standard features on Sahara that Sport S doesn't have:
  1. HD brakes
  2. 18" wheels (may be a negative thing to some people)
  3. Technology group
  4. Leather dash
  5. Ambient LED lighting (interior "mood" lights)
  6. Console light
  7. Injection molded rear bumper (minor difference from blow molded, but there is a difference. Primarily with a slightly more precise/consistent shape)
  8. Side steps
  9. Body color fender flares, and body accents
  10. 7" radio screen
  11. Apple Carplay & Google Auto
  12. Dual USB ports
  13. GPS antenna (you can activate gps later with no need for more equipment/mods)
  14. Voice command with bluetooth
  15. XM radio (1 year subscription)
  16. USB host flip
  17. Automatic temperate control
  18. 7" color gauge cluster (instead of black and white 3.5" cluster)
  19. 115V Auxiliary outlet
  20. Garage door opener
  21. Urethane shift nob.
  22. Daytime running lights
  23. Hill start assist
  24. Push button start
Options available on Sahara, but not on Sport S:
  1. Sky One-Tough power top
  2. Color matched hard top
  3. Remote start
  4. Proximity keys
  5. 3.6L etorque engine (not sure what's different than the standard 3.6L, but it's listed)

That's Sahara compared to Sport S. A base Sport and Sahara are likely more differences, but I didn't look at all the details on that one.
So are all those the "end all be all" of luxury? No, and a lot of the features are available on other trims. However 24 things being already there standard without having to add it makes it much easier to drive up to a dealership and pick one off the lot with the "fancy" stuff you want. No wait time for orders, and typically incentives require you to take delivery from dealer stock.

In 2018 when the JL first came out, and I was ordering mine, there weren't a bunch of trims to choose from. Many of the options on one trim were not available on the next. So to that end, the OP is right that there's not much difference between trims now. I get why they still make them, and there are some differences if you look close enough. I guess the OP's point though was that you shouldn't have to look that close. Although we could say the same about any trim compared to the next. Minor difference between them and a lot of the features are able to be added.

Typically, buying a package with the features standard is close to the same price but you usually get a few little bonuses that the "lesser" package doesn't have and can't add (the leather dash for example). That said, if you don't add them all you'll probably save money buy choosing the cheaper package and adding things. That's assuming you're willing to order instead of buying off the lot.
This post needs more likes.
You made your point well and did your research! Couldn’t have said it better myself.:like:

Status
Not open for further replies.