I don’t understand this... $33,400 one place, $40k+ another

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
So frustrating trying to find the Jeep I want for a decent price.

I have searched all over. Cars.com, Autotrader, Cargurus, random dealer websites,,,,,,

I keep finding dealerships in Oregon and Washington listing 2020 JL Unlimited Sports with the 4 cylinder, hard top and power windows for $40,000. I find the same jeeps around $33,400, but they are 1200+ miles away.

I have been told I can build the Jeep and find the “Invoice” and pay close to, or a little less.

Questions are:

How do I build the invoice?

Is there a better way to find the specific Jeep, rather than the searches I have been doing?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are you looking for an existing 2020 sitting on the lot? Or ordering a 2021?
Prices vary by each dealer based on how fast/many they can sell, what incentives they get from Jeep, how much profit they want from sales compared to their service and parts departments.

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The other thing you need to watch out for with pricing is dealers that apply every possible rebate to their advertised price. So unless you're a recent college graduate, military member, first responder, trading in a competing vehicle with perfect credit, you'll miss out on a lot of them. There are also dealers on the east coast (like Koons) who advertise the pricing "excluding delivery" which is $1,500 on every Jeep sticker. Just read carefully! There are absolutely awesome dealers out there, but you need to do your due diligence. I got mine through Criswell Jeep outside of Baltimore, MD (I know that doesn't help you), but it was 7% under invoice on a factory order. Easiest deal of my life. A couple emails and phone calls. In and out of the dealer within an hour or so including the test drive and BS'ing with the sales guy for a bit.

Also, if you have links to the ones you're looking at, it will help us to get a better understanding of why the price difference could be so drastic and if you're missing something.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing you need to watch out for with pricing is dealers that apply every possible rebate to their advertised price. So unless you're a recent college graduate, military member, first responder, trading in a competing vehicle with perfect credit, you'll miss out on a lot of them. There are also dealers on the east coast (like Koons) who advertise the pricing "excluding delivery" which is $1,500 on every Jeep sticker. Just read carefully! There are absolutely awesome dealers out there, but you need to do your due diligence. I got mine through Criswell Jeep outside of Baltimore, MD (I know that doesn't help you), but it was 7% under invoice on a factory order. Easiest deal of my life. A couple emails and phone calls. In and out of the dealer within an hour or so including the test drive and BS'ing with the sales guy for a bit.

Also, if you have links to the ones you're looking at, it will help us to get a better understanding of why the price difference could be so drastic and if you're missing something.
Anyone who buys from Criswell needs to use caution. They just took a Jeep a forum member ordered from them and sold it to someone else when it got in before they even called him. It even has his name on the window sticker.

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone who buys from Criswell needs to use caution. They just took a Jeep a forum member ordered from them and sold it to someone else when it got in before they even called him. It even has his name on the window sticker.
Do you have a link to that story? I'm not saying it didn't happen, just wondering what the full story is. I've never heard a bad thing about them and they were super easy to deal with. I've worked in the auto industry for a decade and was more than happy to drive a few hours to deal with them than some of the local dealers around here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Are you looking for an existing 2020 sitting on the lot? Or ordering a 2021?
Prices vary by each dealer based on how fast/many they can sell, what incentives they get from Jeep, how much profit they want from sales compared to their service and parts departments.

Existing

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020 model is now a year old so purchase price should be reduced to reflect that.

Last edited:

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
You can go to edmunds.com and calculate the actual invoice price and it will also tell you what others are paying for the same vehicle. I use it all the time when car shopping and it’s invaluable.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
So frustrating trying to find the Jeep I want for a decent price.

I have searched all over. Cars.com, Autotrader, Cargurus, random dealer websites,,,,,,

I keep finding dealerships in Oregon and Washington listing 2020 JL Unlimited Sports with the 4 cylinder, hard top and power windows for $40,000. I find the same jeeps around $33,400, but they are 1200+ miles away.

I have been told I can build the Jeep and find the “Invoice” and pay close to, or a little less.

Questions are:

How do I build the invoice?

Is there a better way to find the specific Jeep, rather than the searches I have been doing?
There are hundreds of threads on here that talk about this and many members who say they can get you 14% below msrp or 7% below invoice and while there could be "some" truth to that its not so easy.

I will try to make it easy to understand, cut out whats not needed and give you basic facts.
1. Price is based on MSRP. The dealer can sell above or below msrp as they see fit.
2. The dealer will pay below invoice(wholesale) pricing when its all said and done.
3. Different dealers will pay different prices, yes even if its the exact same jeep with the same color and options.
4. The best dealer may not offer the best price! This is key.
5. Advertised prices may not be the price you pay.
6. Out The Door(OTD) pricing is the final price of your vehicle before any trade ins and or down payments.
7. Always negotiate with OTD pricing so the dealer can not add addition costs in your purchase.

Now on to your question/s:
What are the msrp of the jeeps you are comparing? Without this information we can not compare prices.
A dealer can say $33,400 but when you show up they may add $4,500 with no warning.
A dealer can post $40,000 MSRP and then sell it for $36,000 if you ask.
You don't build invoice. You build a jeep online(jeep.com), this will give you approximate MSRP.
You can then find an approximate jeep close to you through jeep.com. Once you contact the dealer they will give you the exact msrp and invoice pricing on that vehicle.

Since you are in Oregon your goal should be OTD pricing that is the same a invoice.

As a CA resident I would pay a little more than 10% in sales tax, license fees, and title fees even if I purchased from an Oregon dealer. For a $40k purchase that is $4k you do not have to pay but I do!

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Thank you.

I am specifically looking for a new 2019, 2020 Black Unlimited Sport with the 4 cylinder, hard top and power windows. That’s it.

Trying to get closest to $32k as possible.
Have you done any research?
The Sport is not available with the 4 cylinder.
The Sport S is but to get the 4 cylinder you have to purchase the Auto trans and technology package. MSRP with the hard top as the only other option is north of $40k.
If you want a new vehicle you will need to spend $35k to $36k otd.

Turniipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
Do you have a link to that story? I'm not saying it didn't happen, just wondering what the full story is. I've never heard a bad thing about them and they were super easy to deal with. I've worked in the auto industry for a decade and was more than happy to drive a few hours to deal with them than some of the local dealers around here.
It's interesting that you'll bash Koons, but when someone relates a negative experience with "your"dealer you get defensive.

Koons was straightforward to work with for me and had all pricing included in the negotiations right from the get go.

For those that think getting 6-8% below invoice is not the "norm".... It's the norm for those willing to work at it, and likely willing to travel to get it. You can argue that travel costs eat into the savings, which they do, however some of us enjoy the drive!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I know this was SO wrong and it wasn’t even funny when it happened but... I don’t know... something about the way you worded this has me laughing uncontrollably! :CWL: :giggle: :CWL: :giggle: :CWL:

Imagine being the asshat customer who walks the entire dealer lot, sees ALL the Wranglers and then tells the klutzy salesperson as he points to it that he wants to buy “that one”.

And then the klutz says “okay” And then the asshat signs all the paperwork and drives home with another man’s vehicle, who’s name is on the sticker.., all the while he has the biggest shit eating grin on his face. Of course LawrenceR is completely oblivious to what he’s done.

It’s like taking another man’s woman home to bed her while the said man is on a date with her at an upscale restaurant and when she is taken, she doesn’t resist.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Have you done any research?
The Sport is not available with the 4 cylinder.
The Sport S is but to get the 4 cylinder you have to purchase the Auto trans and technology package. MSRP with the hard top as the only other option is north of $40k.
If you want a new vehicle you will need to spend $35k to $36k otd.

This is a regular sport with the I4...

I noticed you cannot build a sport with the I4 on jeeps site. So, how is this one equipped with it and not a sport s?

https://www.davesmithmotors.net/new/Jeep/2020-Jeep-Wrangler-74eef9c20a0e0a6b739734d3ab438e26.htm
Sponsored