Sponsored

I did it! I did it! I did it!!!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
No kidding on the fluid volume! I've done a couple fills (I regeared), and if I recall correctly, my D44s hold less fluid than the axles in my Suzuki Samurai!

By the way, the fluid from my 2020 JLUR rear dif at 1800 miles looked worse than my Ram after spending most of it's time towing 13k for 20k miles. It was bad. It probably didn't help that the original backlash in my D44 was around 0.018" (or was that 0.020"? I forgot). It was bad.
TBH, I was quite surprised at how little oil these axles hold, especially considering their popularity and Dana's reputation. They say that engineers know more than the layman, but in this case, 2.5QTs would have made much more sense than 1.5QTs. No one really makes a diff cover that substantially increases the capacity, so we are stuck with more frequent changes and/or upping the viscosity to compensate.

I finally received my RamMount to install my axle temp gauges, but the weather has been less than cooperative. Hopefully, with the rainy/colder weather will be leaving Houston within the next month and I can finish my project and start monitoring the axle temps (especially the rear) under various operating conditions. I am glad that I installed 75W-140 in the rear of mine, the first UOA was pathetic for 5K miles.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I took the leap of faith and changed the fluids in both diffs today! No one was killed and the Jeep is still in tact. Amazing to be able to do stuff without lifts and jacks (my wife held the vehicle in the air for me). There is only 11k on the clock but I heeded the warnings here about changing out the rear diff fluids early. I've been 4 wheeling, but most miles are on concrete. The front diff oil was golden with just a little 'paste' on the drain plug. But, holy crapamundo.....the rear diff oil was black and the plug was thick with 'paste'! I'm glad I got it out and put in the Valvoline! So, if this 67 year old sociopath can change the diff fluids in their Jeep....ANYONE can do it!
Odd my rear is clean as a whistle and even on my third change of fluid my front is gray and murky even running synthetic mobile 1 on last change.
Sponsored