I.D this noise description after applying brake at full stop

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
I just started noticing this noise, and I’m wondering what it is. When applying the brakes and coming to a stop, there is an electronic whining (not the same as the electric motor hum), almost like the sound of metal on metal from bad brakes, and it lasts 2 seconds, coming from center up front, sounding like it’s behind the center console.

I tried just letting Max Regen stop me to a creep, and it doesn’t make the sound - it’s tied to the braking and stopping.

Does anyone else hear this sound and can say it’s normal or should I take it in?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lowcountry4XE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Sahara
It could be the pedestrian "warning" noise the 4XE makes when it is going less than 20. Depending on other cabin/vehicle noises it is more obvious some times than other. Sounds exactly like a brake wear indicator to me. I disabled by pulling the fuse.

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
It’s not the pedestrian noise maker. It happens the moment the Jeep is stopped, but momentum in the rest of the Jeep is still going forward (so right before the momentum settles) with break pedal pressed. It sounds like some kind of pump or something, electrical / mechanical whine. It’s faint, but you can hear it without straining.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do you feel a vibration in the brake pedal?

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Does it happen when stop more aggressively or only if you're coming to a slow stop?

It may be tied to the regenerative braking system handing off braking to the mechanical brakes as you come to a complete stop, since the RBS won't do the last little bit of braking. If you brake more aggressively, you'll be engaging the mechanical brakes sooner, so if it's a brake related noise, you'd expect it to come on sooner.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
I don’t feel any vibration or anything unusual with the brake pedal.

I’ve noticed that the sound is much louder coming to a stop after driving for a period of time at over 50mph (like after exting off the highway), but still coming to a gradual stop and not stopping aggressively. It also seems like it takes maybe 20 minutes of driving before I can start to hear it at all.

After listening to after a long test drive, it is more of a mechanical rubbing or squeak sound than an electrical pump.

It’s happening in all electric mode, or hybrid mode, but I can’t hear it with the engine running, only after it switches off and coming to a stop.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Do you notice any correlation to how are you're pressing the pedal with when you hear it? Does this change with max regen on?

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
Do you notice any correlation to how are you're pressing the pedal with when you hear it? Does this change with max regen on?
So I tried that out, and it seems like if I push hard on the brake pedal at the very end, even if going very slow, I get a louder sound. Max Regen on or off doesn’t make a difference.

I also tried stopping using the ACC with a car in front of me stopping at a light, and it made the sound there as well.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Audio sample pls? 🤔
Like maybe lay down on the ground with your cell phone recording the sound, and have a friend try to drive your Jeep up and stop on top of you? 😂
(No, do not do this)

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Next thing to test. Does it seem to correlate with the suspension unloading as you come to a stop and the jeep pitches up/down?

Happening more with harder braking could be a result of more front end dive pointing to the shocks making a bit of noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
Next thing to test. Does it seem to correlate with the suspension unloading as you come to a stop and the jeep pitches up/down?

Happening more with harder braking could be a result of more front end dive pointing to the shocks making a bit of noise.
Thanks for your help on this -
Yes, as my Jeep pitches up / down, and forward / backwards at a stop, is when I hear it. I was wondering if it was the suspension, becasue I started to notice a lot of noisy spring sounds while driving on uneven pavement, as well. It seems like it shouldn’t be noticeable like that.

Audio sample pls? 🤔
Like maybe lay down on the ground with your cell phone recording the sound, and have a friend try to drive your Jeep up and stop on top of you? 😂
(No, do not do this)
Haha, that’s one way to record it. I have an audio recorder I can plug in to the AC outlet in the back. I’ll try to capture it.

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
Sorry to ask, but have you figured out the reason for your noise?

I have a 4xe and I am experiencing a squeaking noise when I brake to a complete stop.

The sound is very apparent when I hard brake especially, even if I were moving at 3-5 mph and brake to a stop. It is very annoying.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon