Sponsored

I could use some guidance on how to add some bumper lighting using factory Fog wiring.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m looking to install a stubby bumper that doesn’t have fog light mounts but everything else is the way I want it. I want to drill and mount a pair of flood/amber led pods to the top of it. I don’t wish to cut and splice but rather use an adapter if it’s necessary to utilize the factory wiring harness if it can be used to power the lights. It would be nice to retain the use of the fog light switch inside.
What are the options from lower end to high end with at least decent reliability?

Thanks, electrical isn’t my forte. lol
Sponsored

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I know you said you are looking for an adapter but google T-Tap. They are the absolute easiest things to use. I have zero electrical abilities, but I have replaced every exterior light on my Jeep.
You put the connector on the end of the wire coming from the light, then clip it over the fog light wire.
It will literally take you longer to go into the store to buy the T-Tap than hook it up.
YouTube is your friend. There are countless "how-to" videos.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I know you said you are looking for an adapter but google T-Tap. They are the absolute easiest things to use. I have zero electrical abilities, but I have replaced every exterior light on my Jeep.
You put the connector on the end of the wire coming from the light, then clip it over the fog light wire.
It will literally take you longer to go into the store to buy the T-Tap than hook it up.
YouTube is your friend. There are countless "how-to" videos.
I want it waterproof. I’ve sold T-taps and it is easy but I don’t want any electrical gremlins on an unforgiving modern vehicle. I want a real weatherpack connector for peace of mind.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I want it waterproof. I’ve sold T-taps and it is easy but I don’t want any electrical gremlins on an unforgiving modern vehicle. I want a real weatherpack connector for peace of mind.
Use two rolls of electrical tape? ;)
My bad, thought you were a first timer like me.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I know it’s not what you want to hear but just cut and splice the harness and use weather proof heat shrink tube or get some two terminal weather-pac connectors. The harness is pretty cheap iirc $25 or so. Part # P68336462AD.
6D3117B3-6868-4C3A-BB56-04CD30F6049B.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I know it’s not what you want to hear but just cut and splice the harness and use weather proof heat shrink tube or get some two terminal weather-pac connectors. The harness is pretty cheap iirc $25 or so. Part # P68336462AD.
Jeep Wrangler JL I could use some guidance on how to add some bumper lighting using factory Fog wiring. 6D3117B3-6868-4C3A-BB56-04CD30F6049B
At least it’s replaceable separately.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Go Rhino steel front bumper on my Jeep, and while it's winch ready, I'm not, so I put a couple of KC HiLiTES LZR lights on top of it to fill that space. KC Hilites makes it easy to use the OEM fog lamp harness with this $20 adapter: https://www.kchilites.com/jeep-jk-10-17-h16-to-dt-fog-light-adapters-63072.html

Jeep Wrangler JL I could use some guidance on how to add some bumper lighting using factory Fog wiring. 20200517_190421-

If you don't want to use KC HiLiTES ( they're only warrantied for 23 years ;) ), their harness adapter is still useful because one end is Jeep OEM fog lamp and the other end deutsch-style connector which is very common. The only thing I had to cut when I installed this setup were the cable zip ties that attached the wire harness to the OEM bumper.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have a Go Rhino steel front bumper on my Jeep, and while it's winch ready, I'm not, so I put a couple of KC HiLiTES LZR lights on top of it to fill that space. KC Hilites makes it easy to use the OEM fog lamp harness with this $20 adapter: https://www.kchilites.com/jeep-jk-10-17-h16-to-dt-fog-light-adapters-63072.html

Jeep Wrangler JL I could use some guidance on how to add some bumper lighting using factory Fog wiring. 20200517_190421-

If you don't want to use KC HiLiTES ( they're only warrantied for 23 years ;) ), their harness adapter is still useful because one end is Jeep OEM fog lamp and the other end deutsch-style connector which is very common. The only thing I had to cut when I installed this setup were the cable zip ties that attached the wire harness to the OEM bumper.
This is what I was looking for! It shows it’s for a 10-18 jk. Did the connectors stay the same?

Surely KC isn’t the only one with something like this. It’s been a while but I swear I read here that BD said they had one but I can’t find it.

And I’m not opposed to KC’s.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacking connectors seems like a clumsy way to accomplish something, if the lights have Deutsch connectors find the matching connectors and put them on the oem harness.
Gregj

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Stacking connectors seems like a clumsy way to accomplish something, if the lights have Deutsch connectors find the matching connectors and put them on the oem harness.
Gregj
I assume the factory connectors will not connect to aftermarket lighting so using weatherpack type sealed connectors between seems foolproof for most. I don’t trust myself to re-pin a connector if that’s what you’re saying. I’ll pay someone to do it though. lol

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If Kentucky weren’t so far away I would be willing to help. I have two pin weather pack connectors and a crimp tool lol.

Gregj

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did the connectors stay the same? And I’m not opposed to KC’s.
Yes, that adapter I linked is what I have on my 2020 Wrangler. Someday, I think I'm going to plug in some lower light output floods installed in the bumper, then relocate the LZR spotlights somewhere else if/when I get a winch.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yes, that adapter I linked is what I have on my 2020 Wrangler. Someday, I think I'm going to plug in some lower light output floods installed in the bumper, then relocate the LZR spotlights somewhere else if/when I get a winch.
Did you get any flickering of your KC’s? I saw that the factory steel Rubicon bumper that comes with LED’s flickered badly for someone who just plugged them up to the base level halogen fog lamp harness which is what I have.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Sahara came from the factory with LED fog lamps. I do not see any flickering with the KC LZR 4" round LEDs.

Hmmm, this page reads, "Any upgrade from halogen to led will require a dealer flash to operate properly."

Tazer JL Mini also can change the fog light type to LED.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My Sahara came from the factory with LED fog lamps. I do not see any flickering with the KC LZR 4" round LEDs.

Hmmm, this page reads, "Any upgrade from halogen to led will require a dealer flash to operate properly."

Tazer JL Mini also can change the fog light type to LED.
Yep. I was hoping I don’t need the Mini for now.
Sponsored