Sponsored

I change my mind...I don't want to share the JL with the wife anymore.

OP
OP
jmcgarcia777

jmcgarcia777

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram Limited, 2018 Jeep Unlimited Sahara, 2017 BMW X4
So three vehicles a year old or newer,and from the sound of it probably a boat, and you’re complaining about having to share? :lipssealed::facepalm:
Yeah...there is more to this story, Wife's car was at the dealership getting serviced when a storm came and dropped all kinds of hail. Her car was on their lot and the rear windshield broke and it rained all night long, who knew BMW electronics was in the lid where a spare tire would normally be, insurance company said it was totaled.

I was in a head on collision when a driver on a two lane road decides to come into my lane and hits me head-on, he died at the scene :(. I found out later he had some medical issues that was the cause of him going into oncoming traffic....my truck was totaled.

...and yes I have a boat, my toys are just more expensive now, at least that what the wife keeps telling me.
Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I find it interesting how many men are on this forum when they say the Jeep belongs to their wife. I think there are going to be a lot of two JL families in the next year or so. :like:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Well it sounds like you’re in a position to get what you want. If you want your own Jeep, get it.... or wait a little and get a JT so you’ll still have a truck for stuff.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So my question is, does anyone have to share with their significant other and why does owning a JL make you want to spend money you don't have?
Q1) I don't have to but only because my wife is disinterested, not because I say.

I like to think we marry because the benefits of doing so outweigh the freedoms we lose when tying the knot. And we do lose freedoms, and both parties lose them.

This isn't to say that all marriages are the same. If a spouse has their taste specific rig and you yours, sharing each other's transportation may not be best versus the family with the single lane driveway where cars are assigned by who leaves first on any particular morning.

Q2) Your inclination to spend money on your rig that might best not be spent, but that you do spend anyway often ties into our desire as less than perfect and perfectly disciplined people to finish unfinished business. For many of us, that Wrangler is a piece of unfinished fine furniture we're dying to display and use in the family room, but we have to first sand, and protect, and paint before putting into service. By analogy, some don't believe it's a Wrangler until its lifted.

What can help is to envision the Wrangler as the never ending project and recognize that upgrading it is a process, not just something we do in the first month of ownership.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I find it interesting how many men are on this forum when they say the Jeep belongs to their wife. I think there are going to be a lot of two JL families in the next year or so. :like:
When it arrives it will belong to both of us, of course I get to do all the work to it, she just wants to drive it which is OK with me, I have 8 other cars and she puts up with, so if I can buy another toy, works for me. She has actually always wanted a Wrangler, this will be her 3rd Jeep, have 2 Grand Cherokees, an 02WJ and 15 Overland. I have been given strict orders, no lift since she is vertically challenged, so she doesnt want to use a step ladder. So I will rip the Jeep apart and properly rust proof it, build some storage for the Hardtop, coat and detail it and add some trinkets to assist getting in and out, maybe an exhaust. Also maybe find some Rubicon take off wheels and springs and do something mild.
SHe isnt going to off road it, wants it so she can yank the doors and ride around without the top. She has a PT GT convertible 5spd stick she tools around in as summer car and 15 Hemi Overland as winter beater.

Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When it arrives it will belong to both of us, of course I get to do all the work to it, she just wants to drive it which is OK with me, I have 8 other cars and she puts up with, so if I can buy another toy, works for me. She has actually always wanted a Wrangler, this will be her 3rd Jeep, have 2 Grand Cherokees, an 02WJ and 15 Overland. I have been given strict orders, no lift since she is vertically challenged, so she doesnt want to use a step ladder. So I will rip the Jeep apart and properly rust proof it, build some storage for the Hardtop, coat and detail it and add some trinkets to assist getting in and out, maybe an exhaust. Also maybe find some Rubicon take off wheels and springs and do something mild.
SHe isnt going to off road it, wants it so she can yank the doors and ride around without the top. She has a PT GT convertible 5spd stick she tools around in as summer car and 15 Hemi Overland as winter beater.
I didn't mean you. You specifically said you are sharing. I am just surprised at the number of people who are on this forum for a vehicle they don't share. Obviously they are addictive, so I see a lot of people getting their own in the future

Until this year, I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. I loved the Limited. The Overland was passed onto me from my husband and never felt like mine. I have wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember so I am thrilled every time I see it in the driveway, let alone get behind the wheel.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Yeah...there is more to this story, Wife's car was at the dealership getting serviced when a storm came and dropped all kinds of hail. Her car was on their lot and the rear windshield broke and it rained all night long, who knew BMW electronics was in the lid where a spare tire would normally be, insurance company said it was totaled.

I was in a head on collision when a driver on a two lane road decides to come into my lane and hits me head-on, he died at the scene :(. I found out later he had some medical issues that was the cause of him going into oncoming traffic....my truck was totaled.

...and yes I have a boat, my toys are just more expensive now, at least that what the wife keeps telling me.
So the BMW is totaled and the Wrangler replasce it
Wife has a 2017 BMW X4 M40i and I have a 2018 Ram Limited, the wrangler was a for us to do something different than being on the lake on the weekends.
So you saying the wrangler is more fun LOL

I would let her drive it, wait a year or two and then buy another if you still like it, not like driving a Ram or BMW is much punishment ;)

Oh so is the BMW the one that got totalled or this one
I didn't mean you. You specifically said you are sharing. I am just surprised at the number of people who are on this forum for a vehicle they don't share. Obviously they are addictive, so I see a lot of people getting their own in the future

Until this year, I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. I loved the Limited. The Overland was passed onto me from my husband and never felt like mine. I have wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember so I am thrilled every time I see it in the driveway, let alone get behind the wheel.

Should of kept them, can never have too many cars LOL Did the Overland have the Hemi, how was the 01, my WJ has 65K miles on it, finished detailing it last week and sits under a car cover next to the Overland, gotta make some room in the driveways for the Wrangler. Wife like the Overland since it has the Quadralift and all the goodies, tough having ventilated and heated seats.

IMG_1242.jpg

Quaker Hill 682.jpg

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should of kept them, can never have too many cars LOL Did the Overland have the Hemi, how was the 01, my WJ has 65K miles on it, finished detailing it last week and sits under a car cover next to the Overland, gotta make some room in the driveways for the Wrangler. Wife like the Overland since it has the Quadralift and all the goodies, tough having ventilated and heated seats.

IMG_1242.jpg

Quaker Hill 682.jpg
The 01 had so many things wrong with it that it was going to cost three times the value of the Jeep to repair it. I had planned to give her to my daughter when she moved to her first apartment after graduating from college a few months ago, but the breakdown risks that *I* am willing to accept are not the same that I am willing to put on my daughter when she is driving a couple of hours alone on the highway. I still miss my old Jeep, but I sold her and used the money to help my daughter get a new car that she loves.

The 2012 was the HEMI version. My husband bought it new. I was supposed to get a new car this year, but I realized that I wanted to keep driving a Jeep. He said he didn't want a Jeep anymore, so I said I would take the Overland when he bought an Audi S5. I spent a couple of months trying to change things on it to make it feel like mine, but it just never did. I kept looking at really old Wranglers online that I could fit in my budget and have as a fun car.

I have wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember but always talked myself out of it since they were loud and impractical as a daily driver. Plus I couldn't wrap my head around spending the same for a Wrangler with minimal creature comforts as I would for the Grand Cherokee with nearly all of the options. I was actually out on a lunch date with my husband and asked to swing by the Jeep dealership so I could see them in person and "just get owning one out of my system." There was a white JL Rubicon on the lot, and I came home with it. I traded the Overland towards it since the Overland was already paid off. It made the new payments less horrifying since we didn't have plans to even get another car, let alone have two car payments at once.

We were out for dinner with the two youngest daughters shortly after buying the Wrangler. My husband was talking about cars with our middle girl when I heard him say, "some people like different things about cars, like my car is faster than Mommy's." I looked up and said, "and my car can drive over Daddy's." My youngest daughter thought it was hysterical and wrote it on her napkin with a little picture.
IMG_20180602_202339_548.jpg

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The 01 had so many things wrong with it that it was going to cost three times the value of the Jeep to repair it. I had planned to give her to my daughter when she moved to her first apartment after graduating from college a few months ago, but the breakdown risks that *I* am willing to accept are not the same that I am willing to put on my daughter when she is driving a couple of hours alone on the highway. I still miss my old Jeep, but I sold her and used the money to help my daughter get a new car that she loves.

The 2012 was the HEMI version. My husband bought it new. I was supposed to get a new car this year, but I realized that I wanted to keep driving a Jeep. He said he didn't want a Jeep anymore, so I said I would take the Overland when he bought an Audi S5. I spent a couple of months trying to change things on it to make it feel like mine, but it just never did. I kept looking at really old Wranglers online that I could fit in my budget and have as a fun car.

I have wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember but always talked myself out of it since they were loud and impractical as a daily driver. Plus I couldn't wrap my head around spending the same for a Wrangler with minimal creature comforts as I would for the Grand Cherokee with nearly all of the options. I was actually out on a lunch date with my husband and asked to swing by the Jeep dealership so I could see them in person and "just get owning one out of my system." There was a white JL Rubicon on the lot, and I came home with it. I traded the Overland towards it since the Overland was already paid off. It made the new payments less horrifying since we didn't have plans to even get another car, let alone have two car payments at once.

We were out for dinner with the two youngest daughters shortly after buying the Wrangler. My husband was talking about cars with our middle girl when I heard him say, "some people like different things about cars, like my car is faster than Mommy's." I looked up and said, "and my car can drive over Daddy's." My youngest daughter thought it was hysterical and wrote it on her napkin with a little picture.
IMG_20180602_202339_548.jpg
Cant remember where I read it but someone said (about fast cars versus a Jeep), sure, Ill race ya, you pick the first 10 miles, Ill pick the last 10 miles... Jeep wins every time!

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cant remember where I read it but someone said (about fast cars versus a Jeep), sure, Ill race ya, you pick the first 10 miles, Ill pick the last 10 miles... Jeep wins every time!
My only requirement when he chose a car was that it had to be AWD or 4x4. The Audi just doesn't have the ground clearance to go where the Jeep goes, but it is still a beautiful car--just not something I would like to drive. I feel like I am sitting on the ground and other cars are going to use me as a ramp like we are in Dukes of Hazzard. :cwl:

Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
My only requirement when he chose a car was that it had to be AWD or 4x4. The Audi just doesn't have the ground clearance to go where the Jeep goes, but it is still a beautiful car--just not something I would like to drive. I feel like I am sitting on the ground and other cars are going to use me as a ramp like we are in Dukes of Hazzard. :cwl:
Grand Cherokee SRT
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
GLC63
GLE63
X5M
Cayenne Turbo...

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee SRT
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
GLC63
GLE63
X5M
Cayenne Turbo...
There are definitely lots of options. I like driving a giant Lego. I can change what I want. Plus the style is classic and recognizable even after 75+ years. I love vintage/classic cars so the Jeep is the best of both worlds for me.

Green Goblin

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Ram 2500
There are definitely lots of options. I like driving a giant Lego. I can change what I want. Plus the style is classic and recognizable even after 75+ years. I love vintage/classic cars so the Jeep is the best of both worlds for me.
Picking up my ordered JL tomorrow. You hit on one of the reasons I liked it so much. The styling is classic and if maintained well it never really looks old!

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picking up my ordered JL tomorrow. You hit on one of the reasons I liked it so much. The styling is classic and if maintained well it never really looks old!
Congratulations. I can't see your info on the mobile version of the site, but I am hoping from your name that you are getting a mojito :)

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
My wife keeps alternating between “this is a ridiculous and stupid vehicle” and “can I drive it to work one day a week??” She’s had three Jeeps in the past, her dad drove Jeeps as she was growing up (All Cherokees/GCs/Libertys) so she tries to pretend not to like it but she keeps looking out the window at it... kicker was though she originally said I could buy it but she did t want to be on the loan or registration, so she isn’t. Sorry hon, it’s not our Jeep it’s MY Jeep :D
Sponsored