Sponsored

I can literally see the Milestar Patagonia tires wearing!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Any idea which one you’re leaning toward right now? I’m still trying to make up my mind for when I purchase in the near future.
Depends on the size...for me using it as a weekend toy on 37s, but dont care for real loud tires, I'd look at ridge grapplers or even km3's, yokohama g003. In a 35", I would also look at duratracs.
Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
manufactures specs can be useless unless they have a list for every vehicle and what the psi should be for that vehicle. A heavy 1 ton pickup with a heavy diesel is going to require higher psi than a 2 door jeep.
Load range also plays a role in that. I wouldn’t run anything less than an E on a HD 1 ton. Also what does a JLUR weight empty then start considering added weight from mods and the C range Pats start wearing out faster. Weight is also something else to consider. As well as heat on the road. Way too many contributing factors. Although I agree, I’d be happy getting 25k out of my tires. We shall see. I believe I’m at set at 37 psi from Discount Tire.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Load range also plays a role in that. I wouldn’t run anything less than an E on a HD 1 ton. Also what does a JLUR weight empty then start considering added weight from mods and the C range Pats start wearing out faster. Weight is also something else to consider. As well as heat on the road. Way too many contributing factors. Although I agree, I’d be happy getting 25k out of my tires. We shall see. I believe I’m at set at 37 psi from Discount Tire.
C load tires are more than enough for a JLUR with armor. Bear in mind, Ford engineers selected a 315/70/17 ko2 load C to put on the 5700 lb Raptor with an 8000lb towing capacity.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
C load tires are more than enough for a JLUR with armor. Bear in mind, Ford engineers selected a 315/70/17 ko2 load C to put on the 5700 lb Raptor with an 8000lb towing capacity.
I agree but with added weight and driving conditions a tire will wear differently. My point wasn’t if a C range has the ability to hold the weight of a JLUR.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I agree but with added weight and driving conditions a tire will wear differently. My point wasn’t if a C range has the ability to hold the weight of a JLUR.
I was replying to your comments below about a JLUR:

"Also what does a JLUR weight empty then start considering added weight from mods and the C range Pats start wearing out faster. Weight is also something else to consider. As well as heat on the road."

Are you implying a JLUR with added weight would meaningfully wear out c load Pats faster than d load?

Last edited:

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
I was replying to your comments below about a JLUR:

"Also what does a JLUR weight empty then start considering added weight from mods and the C range Pats start wearing out faster. Weight is also something else to consider. As well as heat on the road."

Are you implying a JLUR with added weight would meaningfully wear out c load Pats faster than d load?
I guess I missed something. What I’m saying is take my completely stock JLUR sitting on 37” C range Pats then add bumpers, spare, interior mods, rock rails...shoot even roof racks, cargo baskets, HD steering, HD control arms, OBA, etc. that will theoretically add more rolling mass and weight on the same 37” C range Pats causing more heat and friction leading to more wear. I’m comparing the same load range tire to itself not a C to a D range. Not sure where I said that. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: I have my 37” Pats D range

Last edited:

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Read my original post... I never complained and never said they were wearing early, I simply asked if anyone was seeing the "dusting" on these or ANY OTHER TIRE for that matter.
for what it is worth, I rum maxxis creepy crawlers 37’s with 1” sidewalls, mfg spec 35psi. I called the engineering team to share my lack of contact patch (rounding) at that psi. They confirmed the caulk method and suggested a 22psi for highway use and 8 psi for off-road use. I have used and followed this recommendation with no issues. As far as dusting, no dusting unless they spin on any surface - rocks. So I do see rubber dust left in any spin situation, but not to the touch. Maxxis are known for being so soft you can leave your fingerprints on the lugs.

hope that helps.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
for what it is worth, I rum maxxis creepy crawlers 37’s with 1” sidewalls, mfg spec 35psi. I called the engineering team to share my lack of contact patch (rounding) at that psi. They confirmed the caulk method and suggested a 22psi for highway use and 8 psi for off-road use. I have used and followed this recommendation with no issues. As far as dusting, no dusting unless they spin on any surface - rocks. So I do see rubber dust left in any spin situation, but not to the touch. Maxxis are known for being so soft you can leave your fingerprints on the lugs.

hope that helps.
How much were they and what is the expected life on them?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
How much were they and what is the expected life on them?
-420 each, I really don’t have any basis of estimate for target mileage. I am hoping for 15k, we have gone a dozen road trips from so cal to the Sierras (dusy, rubicon, shaver area runs), most of the (pre Corona), I would drive stock rims and tires around town and trailer my stickies and beads locks to the trail head and swap them. This gave me better gas mileage and we have -30k miles on the Jeep, I’m guess 5k miles left on the bfg’s and the maxxis only rock wear so far.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6

hope that helps.
I tried to rub them today after a 20 mile drive, nothing rubs off.

Sponsored

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Will be cutting the Mrs. Jeep over to the Cooper STT that I run on my Jeep. Love those tires, good wear and nice flat tread.
What pressure do you run your Cooper STT at? I have 28 in my 37x12.5x17 for driving around town.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Moccan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I saw a video can't remember where it was now. But they were saying you cant do the standard chalk test with these. We run ours at 32 cold

Agree 100%, I tried every pressure from 24-38 range and they feel best at 32 to me. I have about 14k miles on them and you can tell they been used, but I don't think the wear is excessive.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Cooper STT's (for whatever reason) have to be run at a very low pressure for even wear.. and even then, they don't wear great. You'll get some carcass variances.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cooper STT's (for whatever reason) have to be run at a very low pressure for even wear.. and even then, they don't wear great. You'll get some carcass variances.
So far I'm wearing nice and flat all the way across the tread at 30 psi. Previous owner ran them around 34 psi. About 50% wear left.
Sponsored