Sponsored

I can literally see the Milestar Patagonia tires wearing!

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
And are mediocre offroad.
Sorry I don't find that to be the case at all. Oh well I guess that's why they make so many tires.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So the Mrs. just asked me what the heck I did to her Jeep. She said the ride feels rough and it's making her nauseous. I said I added the longer control arms AND put your tires up to 30 psi so it would have to be the 30 psi that is causing her misery. She is very susceptible to being bounced in any vehicle so I will drop the psi back to 24psi and see how it goes.
So our official vote on the Pats is a HELL NO in terms of recommending them. Running at that lower psi is def going to cook them off faster but whatever... it is what it is at this point.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So the Mrs. just asked me what the heck I did to her Jeep. She said the ride feels rough and it's making her nauseous. I said I added the longer control arms AND put your tires up to 30 psi so it would have to be the 30 psi that is causing her misery. She is very susceptible to being bounced in any vehicle so I will drop the psi back to 24psi and see how it goes.
So our official vote on the Pats is a HELL NO in terms of recommending them. Running at that lower psi is def going to cook them off faster but whatever... it is what it is at this point.
What coils/shocks is she running?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yeah...at 27psi, the outer inch of tread on both sides of the tire still isnt contacting the road. I'll prob bump it up to 30psi...but even less tread will be touching the road and it's simply wearing out the middle AT spaced tread earlier.

At the end of the day, milestars are cheap rounded off hybrid tires with soft rubber. They did an excellent job landing sponsorships with Litebrite and Trail Recon to market their tires. I'll be going a different route on my next tire purchase. I like the stt pro...but have read where many claim they get pretty loud on road. I'm leaning more towards a hybrid tire that isnt rounded off and I dont have to constantly hear humming down the road.
I went from the Patagonia’s to the STT Pro, it’s a world of difference offroad and on road they hum a bit but don’t notice them anymore than the Patagonia’s. I was airing down to 8 PSI to get the same performance I get from the coopers at 12 and the coopers wear much better.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
They’re just going to cup faster at the lower psi and you’ll wind up with a horrible vibration very soon, it happened to me.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Don't know if this will help or not.... Many years ago, Yokohama Tires had a manufacturing defect in which the rubber delaminating after they were shipped to the United States.

The cause of this was due to differing humidity levels in Japan vs USA - the rubber was just drying up and falling apart...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What pressure do you run your Cooper STT at? I have 28 in my 37x12.5x17 for driving around town.
I run 26 to 28 psi in my Cooper STT Pro 37x12.5x17. They have 23,000 miles on them. They look like they are dam near new. I expect that I will get at least 50,000+ miles out of them. I run them at 8 to 10 psi on the trails and 5 psi on the dunes.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So when I bought a beater lifted XJ for a daily driver and something for the wife to wheel with her girlfriends, it was in dire need of tires. I surfed and looked all over for the cheapest set of 33x12.5R15 tires. The Patagonia tires were the cheapest I could find at $149 per tire. That's what I wanted. We will not put a ton of miles on the old 1998 XJ. and only plan on keeping it for a year or so until my wife retires. I know they are cheap tires.

The only thing that really surprised me is how easy the 22 year old brake system is able to overwhelm the traction of the tires on wet pavement. Everyone know or should know that the XJ is not known for having powerful brakes and were not designed for that big of a tire. Yet, if the pavement is wet, it will easily lock up the tires into a skid if to much pedal pressure is applied. NOTE, the old XJ does not have ABS. The XJ can easily spin the tires also with its tired 230,000 mile 4 liter inline six on dry pavement... that also was not expected as it has 3.54 stock gears.

Michigan has shit weather. I like the JLUR to sit in the garage with the top and doors off so the XJ primary gets drove a lot in poor weather. So I have to remind myself to drive appropriately.

I run Cooper STT PRo tires on the JLUR, they are a great tire, but they are like almost $90 more per tire so I was not buying them for a beater XJ. I know what I got, a cheap tire. My expectations are.....they are a cheap tire.

Pic of beater XJ just for fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL I can literally see the Milestar Patagonia tires wearing! 1590665985487

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Honestly, you get what you pay for. This isn't surprising at all.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Just had a set of 315 Patagonia's (D rated) put on yesterday and to be honest, for a "cheaper" tire they handle and ride so much better than my 285 Falkens (C rated) that came stock. The is currently PSI set to 33 cold/37 warm. The ride is WAY smoother than the Falken M/T's at any PSI, wanders a tad but it was windy also, and it I feel that they soak up road bumps a lot better. I obviously can't speak to wear yet as I only have about 20 miles on them. I went into the purchase knowing that these supposedly wear faster. honestly I felt like I was having a wear problem with the Falkens but the tire shop measured the tread depth(for resale) for me and they were still at 10/32, which would probably have given me another 20k+ miles on them. All in all first impressions, I am impressed with them and would recommend them for someone that budget concerned.

On a different note , I don't know if it's because the 2 tires are almost identical in weight 2-3 lbs difference. Moving up to "35's" seems to have no effect on the shift points and Speedometer so I'm most likely sending my Tazer back. We'll see though with further research, I have time since STILL I'm waiting it to be delivered to the house (UPS has had it out for delivery since last Tuesday :headbang:).

OP, did you check the manufacturer date on them? I have read elsewhere that some of these tire issues is due to tires have been sitting around somewhere. it might be worth doing the research and reaching to Milstar or out to the vendor you purchased through to see if they can assist.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Honestly, you get what you pay for. This isn't surprising at all.
With my Pats I certainly feel I have gotten more than what I paid for honestly. 238 a tire for 37/12.5/17, way too go a price to pass up for what you get.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The thing with pats is that it's mandatory to air down if you are going off-road. I was going up a dirt mountain road yesterday that was wet and still had snow in spots.
Any wet rocks, I got no traction at 36 PSI. Aired down to 25 and crawled up everything with ease.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
With my Pats I certainly feel I have gotten more than what I paid for honestly. 238 a tire for 37/12.5/17, way too go a price to pass up for what you get.
I paid 260 for Cooper STT PRO 37x12.5 R17 and they look great with 23,000 miles on them. With a bunch of low pressure off roading.....
Sponsored