I can’t decide which engine and transmission to get

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I'll be honest, I have not driven a jeep with the 3.6 but I have driven other FCA cars with it and I hate it.

Not I sold my c8 corvette for my JLURXR and I went with the 2.0. Coming from the c8 I was honestly shocked by the get up and go of that little turbo motor even with the stock 35s.
Sponsored

RodNY

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You should drive them all if you can, but that’s not easy with low dealer inventory today. We got 2.0T and love it. My husband really likes the sound, which is a bit space-age. It’s really peppy. Compared to our other car (Mercedes GLC Coupe with a 2.0T) there is no perceptible turbo lag. (Doing better than the Germans is pretty good for an American build.)

Our day to day driving, which is pretty mountainous, we only get about 18 MPG. On highway we get 22-23. Not sure it’s much better than 3.6, but every little bit is something.

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
Are you ok? Did you bump your head? Having a stroke? Should we send an ambulance or a shrink?
The 15k over MSRP caused him to passout and he bumped his head.

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Lets be honest, we all take a chance with whatever motor and tranny we go with. Nothing is made like it used to be. If it ain't one thing with one motor its another thing with another motor. If it ain't the motor, its the turbo, or the water pump, or the electrical system. Anything is a gamble these days.

Sponsored

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have had a 2019 JLUR with the 3.6 liter, a 2020 JT Mojave with the 3.6 and now a 2020 JLUR with 2.0. At first I was unsure about the 2.0, candidly even after I bought it. I am sitting on 37” K02’s. Hands down the 2.0 is my favorite of the two. It has plenty of spirit off the line and I feel like it handles the 37’s better than either my Gladiator or 2019 JLUR (which both had 37’s). I never regeared either with the 6 cylinder, although I am confident that would have been a game changer. I have never driven the 392 because I am confident I would then want one. The boost is gas mileage in the 2.0 is a nice byproduct. Anyway, that is my real world experience FWIW.

Crawl Away

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - 1998 TJ Sport
I have a 2019 2.0. If you were to tell me before I drove it that I would buy a four cylinder, I would not have believed you. I spun the tires leaving the dealership in the test drive and was sold.

I have 37” tires and the 4.10 and 8-speed are great.

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
O.K., you have received many different opinions. So why not drive the different combinations, then make your own call. After all, you are the one that has to pay for it, and drive it....

Sponsored

Rollfam

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU EcoDiesel
I’m a farmer. Just picked up a brand new 2022 JLU diesel with the 8 speed. 1st gear is like a creeper gear and works amazing around the pastures. Torque and power are not an issue with the 33’s I had put on. My brother has already had Wranglers and has the 2.0T. He’s jealous of my diesel 😂. Averaging 30-31 highway mpg at 75mph is the 🍒 on top

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
If a gas engine is your preference, this is the main reason I wouldn't consider the 2.0T....

I understand why all the mfg's are going this direction, (EPA CAFE standards), but I'll take a port injected engine every time (while I still can).

skeptic

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sahara 6 Spd.(JL)
I've got a 2020 JL Sahara unlimited, 6sp. i've had a bunch of Jeeps, scrambler, TJ, TJ, etc. i don't do much real serious of roading per say, but lots of winter "get to the ski hill" driving. I find the V6 under powered and the gear ratio's on manual all wrong 5th and 6th are very much irrelevant and don't pull very well at less than 120 KPH and even then not much there. My Honda Odyssey pulls way better especially at highway speeds. I realize that's apples and oranges but they are similar sized V6's) I"m on OEM sized tires for summer and winter. I'd suggest getting the highest ratio diff gears that you can. especially if you're going to up size the tires. I kinda wish I'd have gone for the Rubicon with higher gears. I also find the flywheel way too light and stalls much to easily but the means i have to pay more attention. it's not a small block v8 which will likely compensate if I'm not smooth enough. i believe there is an aftermarket clutch which is much better but I'm not there yet mileage wise and not about to pull out a perfectly good clutch just because I'm lazy. I'm sure the serious Off-roaders are more knowledgeable than i but my limited experience with a automatic scrambler vs all the others i've had which were manual leads me to think that for most people (me included) the Auto offers huge advantages when rock crawling. perhaps the stick is better in other stuff but that depends on how hard you are on the clutch, slip it too much and it'll cook pretty fast. i had that experience on the Jl with a novice driver in about 12 cm of fresh snow. that being said, i love the JL with a manual gearbox and i don't regret going that route. Is it perfect, hardly, but it's certainly the best so far. now if they put twin turbo's on that V6.... then we're talking....

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
When I was shopping a couple years back I test drove the Pentastar with both the 6sp and the auto, plus the 2.0t. I did not like the 2.0, but I generally do not like 4 cylinder engines. It sounded like a tractor compared to the Pentastar, and didn't feel any faster.

Between the two transmissions offered on the Pentastar, honestly the auto feels better matched to the engine. The ZF 8 speed is one hell of a transmission. That being said, it had been years since I owned a manual, so I ended up going with my heart rather than my brain. No regrets, I am truly enjoying the 6 speed.

Running 37 BFG KO2 on stock gearing and frankly it drives better than stock. 1st gear is deep, but with the larger tires it feels right to me. Haven't lost any MPG either which I do not understand, but I record every fillup.

Pete

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
“ The upgraded Penstar V6 will be introduced by the end of the first quarter of 23, though the current version will be produced through the end of 23” Car Buzz. Implications?- it’s not being retired anytime soon, hopes for new T-6 for Wranglers diminished. If you want a V6 should you wait for the upgrade?
Sponsored

Last edited: