Sponsored

I can’t decide which engine and transmission to get

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Are you ok? Did you bump your head? Having a stroke? Should we send an ambulance or a shrink?
Oh, that's all debatable. Short answers to the questions are:
Yes, my mother had me tested.
Yes, many times when I was a kid.
No, my face always looks funny.
No ambulance, and no, because most shrinks need a shrink.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
All excellent drivetrains ! 🤠
As far as complaining about the JK 3.6 I can only imagine someone had a broken 3.6
The 3.8 before that on the other hand........ woof ! woof ! woof !, a shameful entry at best

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
As others said, drive everything you’re interested in.

For me it was either 2.0T or 3.6L. I rented a 2.0T JLU for a week, fuel economy was great, but I didn’t like the engine sound during doors off driving around town.

Then it was down to which transmission with the 3.6L, auto or manual, I drove both. I enjoy the experience of driving a manual. With less driving now that I work from home, I downsized from two vehicles; a daily driver automatic SUV plus fun weekend/summer car with manual transmission (I sold my 2004 VW R32…was the original owner, loved that car). Additionally, I figured this will be the last manual transmission gas engine vehicle I own in my lifetime.

So I got the 3.6L with 6spd. No regrets. :)

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Had a 19 3.6 auto JLU, no issues, plenty of pep for me. Wife had a 20 2.0 auto JLU. The 2.0 definitely felt faster, but it sure sounded awful in comparison (and was traded in after 2 warranty issues with subpar service, not engine related). Now I have the 4xe... the 2.0 still sounds awful, but I don't hear it much because I'm always running electric... which is just awesome. We just took a trip where I couldn't charge the battery, and I told my wife how weird it was driving around while hearing the engine. And it will get up and go if you want it to.

Bottom line, I have no idea what would be best for you, and I have no input on the manual. But I love the 4xe, definitely try to test drive one if you can. Test drive all your potential options if possible.

Sponsored

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
Do yourself a favor and at least test drive the diesel.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
The 8 speed auto is awesome. I routinely use the manual mode to choose my gear when descending a hill, both off and on road. I have a 2021 2.0 and 2019 3.6, both auto. Each engine has its pluses and minuses. Drive them all and pick the one you like best.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
I’m new to this forum, but not new to Jeeps. Still driving my 2012 2 Dr Rubicon manual half doors. But it’s time for a new one, and all these engine choices have me wavering non stop. I’ve spent countless hours reading posts on here and and I’m stuck.

My Jeep will be an extra vehicle most of the year, driven weekly for sure. In the summer it will be a DD when my daughter comes home from college. I also will do some off-roading. Mostly trails and mud and a little rock crawling. I’ll probably put 35s on this one and a lift.

I started out thinking I would get the JLU Rubicon 4xe. I don’t have a commute and figured I could run all electric most days and rarely buy gas. That option is really intriguing. Plus it seems like that engine is really nice. But can I really go away from the manual (I’ve had multiple manual Jeeps)? The downside of the manual is I don’t love the 3.6 right now on my 2 door with 3.5 lift and 35s. I’d imagine it’s going to be worse on a 4 door. Then I looked at the 2.0 Turbo and now it’s all a mess. I’m afraid if I get an auto I’ll miss the fun of driving the manual, but if I get the manual I’ll be unhappy with the engine.

To add to the difficulty, I can’t find a wrangler within a reasonable distance to test drive so I can truly decide.

So despite all my research, I have not been able to come to a conclusion. Anyone want to share thoughts, opinions, and advice?

I’m going to order my 23 next week because I don’t want to put any more $ into the 12 and it’s going to start having some issues.

If I interpret correctly:
  • You don't care for the Pentastar
  • You have concerns over the 2.0T (as you should)
  • The 4xe is the same engine as the 2.0T but with more weight/complexity
This leaves the diesel and the 392.

If you're in Europe, diesel might be more convenient; else, 392.

The 392...
  • has paddle-shifters for a vestige of manual
  • has a lift already, even without the XR package
  • sounds absolutely wonderful
  • costs more...so may or may not fit your budget (if it fits, you should gits!)

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Love my 3.6 V6 with the automatic. I have no interest in a Peugeot four-cylinder Jeep. The 3.6 is the only engine available in the max tow package Gladiator.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Do yourself a favor and at least test drive the diesel.
This. I wouldn’t exclude it and sell yourself short, you might be pleasantly surprised when test driving it.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If I could do it again, and I can't because the diesel wasn't around when I got mine, but I'd get the diesel without a second thought. I've lost so many mpg adding weight and climbing through the mountains with my pentastar. Plus the upgrades you can do to the diesel. I'm so jealous.

If it wasn't the diesel it'd be the 2.0 turbo.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I’ve got the 3.6L 8speed auto and 4.56 gears (XR package). Office manager has a standard Rubi 2.0T.

I see the appeal of the 2.0T, it can get up and go, and the power band peaking earlier makes it feel more powerful than it is. But it sounds like my wife’s sewing machine.

The 3.6 has similar grunt when you need/want it, and sounds a million times better.

My 2¢

Last edited:

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Also remember everything works great when it’s brand new. Let’s give French turbos , E torque , extra cooling systems and extra electronics a few years in the rust belt to really see the longevity of these new Peugeot motors and electronics. The jury is still out on whether they will be desirable in 10 years when and if you can’t get parts for the Peugeot stuff.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Also remember everything works great when it’s brand new. Let’s give French turbos , E torque , extra cooling systems and extra electronics a few years in the rust belt to really see the longevity of these new Peugeot motors and electronics. The jury is still out on whether they will be desirable in 10 years when and if you can’t get parts for the Peugeot stuff.
Since when were Garrett turbos French? The headquarters are in Switzerland, but they have literally been THE name in turbos for decades. The 2.0 is either Italian or built here and has nothing to do with Peugeot or France. We get it, you prefer the "manly" sound of the weakest engine in the lineup. We actually use our Jeep, so I could care less what the engine does in 10 years. We are at 60k miles in 3, if it's still going in 10 years I'll have more than gotten my monies worth out of it. As far as etorque, that is now mandatory on the 3.6 autos so if it's a problem as you suggest it's more motivation to get the 2.0t.