I can’t decide which engine and transmission to get

NDRugby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon
I’m new to this forum, but not new to Jeeps. Still driving my 2012 2 Dr Rubicon manual half doors. But it’s time for a new one, and all these engine choices have me wavering non stop. I’ve spent countless hours reading posts on here and and I’m stuck.

My Jeep will be an extra vehicle most of the year, driven weekly for sure. In the summer it will be a DD when my daughter comes home from college. I also will do some off-roading. Mostly trails and mud and a little rock crawling. I’ll probably put 35s on this one and a lift.

I started out thinking I would get the JLU Rubicon 4xe. I don’t have a commute and figured I could run all electric most days and rarely buy gas. That option is really intriguing. Plus it seems like that engine is really nice. But can I really go away from the manual (I’ve had multiple manual Jeeps)? The downside of the manual is I don’t love the 3.6 right now on my 2 door with 3.5 lift and 35s. I’d imagine it’s going to be worse on a 4 door. Then I looked at the 2.0 Turbo and now it’s all a mess. I’m afraid if I get an auto I’ll miss the fun of driving the manual, but if I get the manual I’ll be unhappy with the engine.

To add to the difficulty, I can’t find a wrangler within a reasonable distance to test drive so I can truly decide.

So despite all my research, I have not been able to come to a conclusion. Anyone want to share thoughts, opinions, and advice?

I’m going to order my 23 next week because I don’t want to put any more $ into the 12 and it’s going to start having some issues.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I like my 3.6 w/8 speed, 4dr a lot. It feels nothing like the JK 3.6. Many like the 2.0 turbo, but not when they add larger tires.
If you want power when adding larger tires, go with the diesel, or 392(do it do it do it).
Or, get some new gears.

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
Perhaps this will help. I had a 2021 3.6 manual Rubicon and loved it. But driving a manual every day got to me, I guess I'm getting old, but certain days it was just an inconvenience.
I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of other Jeepers and decided I wanted to go with the 2.0. I also wanted 35's and a slight lift, so the XR package was attractive. The SOT also was attractive given I never took the top off due to having nowhere to put it other than the driveway.
Price became an issue with inflation and the additional wants (XR, SOT, Auto) so I went with the Willys. Hope this helps.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I like my 3.6 w/8 speed, 4dr a lot. It feels nothing like the JK 3.6. Many like the 2.0 turbo, but not when they add larger tires.
If you want power when adding larger tires, go with the diesel, or 392(do it do it do it).
Or, get some new gears.
Hmm, I thought most with the 2.0T found that it handled larger tires quite well, better than the 3.6. Maybe I'm not recalling that right though.

Sponsored

Sobchak Security

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Perhaps this will help. I had a 2021 3.6 manual Rubicon and loved it. But driving a manual every day got to me, I guess I'm getting old, but certain days it was just an inconvenience.
I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of other Jeepers and decided I wanted to go with the 2.0. I also wanted 35's and a slight lift, so the XR package was attractive. The SOT also was attractive given I never took the top off due to having nowhere to put it other than the driveway.
Price became an issue with inflation and the additional wants (XR, SOT, Auto) so I went with the Willys. Hope this helps.

What kind of mpg are you getting with the 2.0 and XR?

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I have the 3.6 8/speed auto and its great. New wheels and tires running 35's are 92lbs each and I dont notice any real difference in mpg as long as you arent doing jackrabbit starts, etc.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I have the 2.0T with the 8-spd auto and I love it. The 2.0 is a hoot to drive and that auto trans has a manual shift option so I'm not totally shiftless when I drive it.

Good luck with your choice.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I can without a doubt say that the 2.0 feels and drives like it has lots more torque and horse power.
I have a 2021 JLUR with a 2.0 and a 2022 JLW with the 3.6. Both have auto trans.

Im not for certain but I think the 2.0 has max power at much lower rpm’s than the 3.6.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Had a 2013 JKU and 3.6 with a manual transmission. I now have a 2021 JLU with 3.6 e-torque and auto transmission. The 2021 drives much nicer. I don’t miss the manual in dtd driving. Fuel mileage is 2-3 mpg better for me as well.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Once in a while I miss the manual but overall the 2.0L with the 8sp is awesome. Especially off road. The first three gears are super low and you end up in 6th at like 40 mph. Crazy but it works.
I bought mine site unseen and it has been great.
Sponsored