I can’t decide which engine and transmission to get

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
When I ordered my Jeep, my previous experiences weighed pretty heavily on my decisions.

1) I'm a 2-door purist.
2) Motor - go big or go home (392 lust aside, see #1)
3) I love me some manual transmission

So, how has that worked out since I took delivery of my '21 JLR?

1) I'm still a 2-door purist.
2) I'd take a 392 in a 2-door, 'cause I'm crazy like that. But, Jeep says no. The Pentastar is a pretty solid engine. I would be interested in a hybrid...maybe...but I think the tech needs further advancement before the nation is forced to go that route (it ain't currently as green as many think).
3) The auto trans is apparently great and makes off-roading (e.g. rock crawling) that much easier. Granted. But...I still love working the manual transmission.
Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Everyone has their own personal preference. It’s best to go test drive some before ordering anything or taking the word of strangers who could have a vastly different view of what’s acceptable drivability vs what you prefer.

For me I’ve had many years of experience with the 3.6 and felt very comfortable getting another one, especially after the full redesign addressing most of the issues from the last gen. I had over 220k on our last one and the biggest issue it gave me was a cracked thermostat housing.

The 2.0 definitely has more kick to it type of feel because of the power curve with the turbo. I’m personally still not sold on small engines and turbos, still more things to go wrong but they are definitely a fun set up.

My wife preferred the power curve of the 3.6, smoother more linear and still plenty of power when needed.

I think the 3.6 in the rubicon with the 4:10 gears and 35’s is a pretty stout combo with the 8 speed. But again, it comes down to your personal preference on what you think is acceptable power.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I have the 3.6, with the 8 speed auto, and 4.10 Ratio. This is a great combo, and I wouldn't want anything different.

Sponsored

Scarif Patrol

First Name
MK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLU Sahara 4Xe
Ok I’ll bite and throw in my 0.02. I was in your same boat couldn’t decide what motor or build so I drove them all. I didn’t try out the 392 or diesel because they didn’t match my need/use.
The ranking of my favorite engine goes as follows
1. 4Xe
2. 3.6L e torque
3. 2.0 T

to me the 4Xe engine was extremely fun to drive lots of low end power and the upper end and pep of the turbo. It just feels super zippy and fun. I had a stupid smile on my face the entire time I drove it.

3.6L w/ e torque felt powerful has the standard engine sound and linear power development. Just feels very sturdy and reliable.

2.0 T lacked the low end power of the 4Xe and I did not enjoy the turbo lag. Jeep has done a good job of reducing turbo lag but it’s still there. My take away after driving the 2.0 T was that I called it “The Gutless Wonder” it had the power but it just didn’t have the heart and I did not enjoy driving it.

before anybody roasts me this was my experience and my opinion you are all free to your own. Also all the engines I tested were the 8 speed automatic, I love it but I’ve never been a manual guy so do with that what you will.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
2 dr guy here. Drove both the 3.6 and the 2.0 in otherwise identically equipped Jeeps on fairly long 18 mile test drives. Brought the 2.0 home. Seemed peppier and the on board readout was running significantly higher mpg’s than the 3.6. No regrets. Either is a rocket compared to my old 4.0 TJ. Mileage on the 2.0 is outstanding for a Jeep.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I’m new to this forum, but not new to Jeeps. Still driving my 2012 2 Dr Rubicon manual half doors. But it’s time for a new one, and all these engine choices have me wavering non stop. I’ve spent countless hours reading posts on here and and I’m stuck.

My Jeep will be an extra vehicle most of the year, driven weekly for sure. In the summer it will be a DD when my daughter comes home from college. I also will do some off-roading. Mostly trails and mud and a little rock crawling. I’ll probably put 35s on this one and a lift.

I started out thinking I would get the JLU Rubicon 4xe. I don’t have a commute and figured I could run all electric most days and rarely buy gas. That option is really intriguing. Plus it seems like that engine is really nice. But can I really go away from the manual (I’ve had multiple manual Jeeps)? The downside of the manual is I don’t love the 3.6 right now on my 2 door with 3.5 lift and 35s. I’d imagine it’s going to be worse on a 4 door. Then I looked at the 2.0 Turbo and now it’s all a mess. I’m afraid if I get an auto I’ll miss the fun of driving the manual, but if I get the manual I’ll be unhappy with the engine.

To add to the difficulty, I can’t find a wrangler within a reasonable distance to test drive so I can truly decide.

So despite all my research, I have not been able to come to a conclusion. Anyone want to share thoughts, opinions, and advice?

I’m going to order my 23 next week because I don’t want to put any more $ into the 12 and it’s going to start having some issues.
Oh boy, you opened up a bag of worms, let the cat out of the can now…

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara, 2005 Land Cruiser, 2008 4Runner Limited V6
I had a 21 gladiator 3.6 auto. No complaints, great DD. Now I have a 22 wrangler manual. Love the transmission although the highest gear I see on my commutes is 4th. Still, there’s something about driving a manual Jeep that’s so much fun.

Ohh and I commute from Long Island into Brooklyn, traffic can be horrendous but I still love driving the manual. The clutch is incredibly light compared to what you have in the 2012 JK. Very similar to my 2018 civic, which I sold last year.

TJRUBICON06

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK SAHARA
First off, you really can't compare a JK to a JL. The JL in any form is superior to a JK. (IMO!)The 8 speed auto is awesome. I have a 22 JLR AUTO 3.6 E-TORQUE(LOVE IT!) My wife has a 22 JLR AUTO 2.0T(SHE LOVES IT). Both have 35x12.50x17 trail grapplers and you really can't feel any substantial loss of power. The 3.6 feels much more refined and the power is linear. The 2.0T might be snappier, but it requires a heavy right foot. BTW, 2 doors rule!!!

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I like my 3.6 w/8 speed, 4dr a lot. It feels nothing like the JK 3.6. Many like the 2.0 turbo, but not when they add larger tires.
If you want power when adding larger tires, go with the diesel, or 392(do it do it do it).
Or, get some new gears.
That's 100% the opposite of my experience and nearly every other 2.0t owner I've seen post on here. The V6 needs a regear bad with big tires. We ran 37's on the stock 4.10 gears for 2 years and 30k+ miles. No issues running 85+mph on the freeway or crawling on some of the toughest trails in the western states or anywhere in between. Still averaged 17.5 mpg and we were not easy on it at all.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
That's 100% the opposite of my experience and nearly every other 2.0t owner I've seen post on here. The V6 needs a regear bad with big tires. We ran 37's on the stock 4.10 gears for 2 years and 30k+ miles. No issues running 85+mph on the freeway or crawling on some of the toughest trails in the western states or anywhere in between. Still averaged 17.5 mpg and we were not easy on it at all.
Oh yeh, the Bronco seems to run fine, with 35's, and looks better too. 😇

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Easy answer, drive each one for 30 minute test drive, and you will be able to select what works best for YOU, thats what I did, and it worked out just fine.....

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I’m new to this forum, but not new to Jeeps. Still driving my 2012 2 Dr Rubicon manual half doors. But it’s time for a new one, and all these engine choices have me wavering non stop. I’ve spent countless hours reading posts on here and and I’m stuck.

My Jeep will be an extra vehicle most of the year, driven weekly for sure. In the summer it will be a DD when my daughter comes home from college. I also will do some off-roading. Mostly trails and mud and a little rock crawling. I’ll probably put 35s on this one and a lift.

I started out thinking I would get the JLU Rubicon 4xe. I don’t have a commute and figured I could run all electric most days and rarely buy gas. That option is really intriguing. Plus it seems like that engine is really nice. But can I really go away from the manual (I’ve had multiple manual Jeeps)? The downside of the manual is I don’t love the 3.6 right now on my 2 door with 3.5 lift and 35s. I’d imagine it’s going to be worse on a 4 door. Then I looked at the 2.0 Turbo and now it’s all a mess. I’m afraid if I get an auto I’ll miss the fun of driving the manual, but if I get the manual I’ll be unhappy with the engine.

To add to the difficulty, I can’t find a wrangler within a reasonable distance to test drive so I can truly decide.

So despite all my research, I have not been able to come to a conclusion. Anyone want to share thoughts, opinions, and advice?

I’m going to order my 23 next week because I don’t want to put any more $ into the 12 and it’s going to start having some issues.
Any reason not to put the money into your current jeep and forgo the problems of the new electronic problems etc? Don’t get me wrong. I love my 20 jlr but also had to put money into it to make it the way it should have been from the factory.
I really did not need to trade in my 2010 or 11 but liked the new body style of the 20. I’ve had the 3.6 in all my jeeps except when I had the straight 6. So far no problems with the 3.6 except my2010 or 11 can’t remember, had a cylinder replacement by dealer under factory warranty. Didn’t know I needed it until they told me during-service. I think there were a bunch of engines from the factory that got shipped that had this problem. Sometimes wish I would have just put money in the 2010 or 11. I think you would like this new 3.6 or. Wait for the new turbo straight 6. Oh my, decisions, decisions decisions. What ever you choose enjoy.
Sponsored