I Camper Mini on a Two door JL

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but all the threads that I find have frankly, futher confused me. Is anyone running an iCamper Mini on their two door JL without having to use an exoskeleton rack system? The Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform isn't available for the JL, just JK. I'd rather not use an exoskeleton cage but am not sure that the rails can support the mini and two people in the tent. What is the static and dynamic weight limit of the rails? What else do I need to consider? Has anybody been successful in this combination? Thank you in advance and again, sorry if this request has been addressed; a link to the appropriate post if I missed it is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I dunno, thats a lot of weight on some pretty light plastic. Be careful-a new top is $$$

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I dunno, thats a lot of weight on some pretty light plastic. Be careful-a new top is $$$
Yeah - the tent is 150 and one post showed a soft top tent doing it. Saw a youtube with someone using THULE bars. Really just wish the Pioneer platform was available for the JL. Absolutely won't do it if I can't get the right support. Just would prefer not to have an exoskeleton. Was hoping others have tried combinations I haven't thought or heard about. Should have titled my post "Wanted - Rainbow Unicorn"

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Rhino rack is available for JL 2dr. Very sturdy. That's it on my profile pic.
https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-2-door-roof-rack-system
Interesting - so use the Maximus to support the platform. I LIKE it -Thank you! On th Rhino website, the vehicle fitment excludes the 2dr but that's because it's fitting based on "system" and not just the platform. How do you find removal of the hardtop? Anything you don't like? Appreciate the tip and looks great on your Rubi.

Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
I have run the Maximus 3 Rhino rack on our JLR two-door for a year and a half, carrying 14' sea kayaks and lumber. It can carry a lot of weight, transferring it to the roll bars.
Removing the top a very involved project.

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I have run the Maximus 3 Rhino rack on our JLR two-door for a year and a half, carrying 14' sea kayaks and lumber. It can carry a lot of weight, transferring it to the roll bars.
Removing the top a very involved project.
Thank you - removal sounds like something to look forward to - I'll do a search to see what youtube shows. I may still be searching for my rainbow unicorn since I like to take the top off. I want it ALL dammit! :CWL:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Interesting - so use the Maximus to support the platform. I LIKE it -Thank you! On th Rhino website, the vehicle fitment excludes the 2dr but that's because it's fitting based on "system" and not just the platform. How do you find removal of the hardtop? Anything you don't like? Appreciate the tip and looks great on your Rubi.
Maximus-3 makes the mounting hardware & optional ladders, then bundles it with an appropriately sized Rhino Rack.

Pros:
Sturdy AF. Thick steel brackets mounted directly to roll bars. Definitely sturdier than the Rhino Rack backbone approach.

Cons:
The rack sits low to the roof, which looks great but it also means getting hands under the rack to mount a RTT is very tight.

Makes hard top removal more difficult. You only have to remove 8 bolts and the HT can be removed with the rack still attached. But the 4 front bolts are above the sound bar with very little room to swing a socket wrench. They're a PIA. Rear bolts are super easy. I never remove my HT for several reasons but the rack is one of them.

I'm not a big fan of their install instructions. FYI, the front holes in the hard top must be dead-on. The back has more wiggle room. If I were to install this rack again, instead of measuring the holes from the outside starting with the rear holes as the instructions say, I'd dry fit the front hardware over the sound bar and mark the holes from the inside. It's tight, you may need to sacrifice a pencil into a 1" stubby pencil. Then slide the hard top back or remove it and drill from the inside. Once the front holes are drilled, dry fit the rack on and mark the rear holes from the outside (use painter's tape). Following the Maximus-3 instructions, any tiny measuring error will be cumulative and will result in the front holes being the most off, which have the least tolerance for being off. The rear holes can be a mm or two off and still be fine.

GreatWhite13

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport s
are you able to remove the front panels and/or do you think it would work with a bestop?
any room to "slide" the mounting points outside "rails on the rack" to push the whole system rearward a couple of inches to make this possible and not impact the tailgate glass?
how close to the rack is the tailgate glass?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Maximus-3 makes the mounting hardware & optional ladders, then bundles it with an appropriately sized Rhino Rack.

Pros:
Sturdy AF. Thick steel brackets mounted directly to roll bars. Definitely sturdier than the Rhino Rack backbone approach.

Cons:
The rack sits low to the roof, which looks great but it also means getting hands under the rack to mount a RTT is very tight.

Makes hard top removal more difficult. You only have to remove 8 bolts and the HT can be removed with the rack still attached. But the 4 front bolts are above the sound bar with very little room to swing a socket wrench. They're a PIA. Rear bolts are super easy. I never remove my HT for several reasons but the rack is one of them.

I'm not a big fan of their install instructions. FYI, the front holes in the hard top must be dead-on. The back has more wiggle room. If I were to install this rack again, instead of measuring the holes from the outside starting with the rear holes as the instructions say, I'd dry fit the front hardware over the sound bar and mark the holes from the inside. It's tight, you may need to sacrifice a pencil into a 1" stubby pencil. Then slide the hard top back or remove it and drill from the inside. Once the front holes are drilled, dry fit the rack on and mark the rear holes from the outside (use painter's tape). Following the Maximus-3 instructions, any tiny measuring error will be cumulative and will result in the front holes being the most off, which have the least tolerance for being off. The rear holes can be a mm or two off and still be fine.
Thank you for the detail and heads up - much appreciated! Sounds like I'll need to determine which is most important. - roof top tent or top off summers. At least we have the OPUS trailer with the truck - but I really want to take my JL on some of our trips. I've been driving behind so I get to do some off roading and exploring but with gas prices, taking the JL AND the Sierra is a lil stupid as far as cost goes - I know nice that this is my biggest issue right now - not complaining. Thank you again!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the detail and heads up - much appreciated! Sounds like I'll need to determine which is most important. - roof top tent or top off summers. At least we have the OPUS trailer with the truck - but I really want to take my JL on some of our trips. I've been driving behind so I get to do some off roading and exploring but with gas prices, taking the JL AND the Sierra is a lil stupid as far as cost goes - I know nice that this is my biggest issue right now - not complaining. Thank you again!
Yeah, AFAIK the only way to do a RTT & top off summers is with an exoskeleton rack that tilts back to allow a soft top to open & close. The RR pioneer platform is pretty much a HT only solution. But FWIW, you can still remove the freedom panels.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you able to remove the front panels and/or do you think it would work with a bestop?
any room to "slide" the mounting points outside "rails on the rack" to push the whole system rearward a couple of inches to make this possible and not impact the tailgate glass?
how close to the rack is the tailgate glass?
I see what you're getting at. The rack does overlap the back 6" of the freedom panels but does not interfere with removing them. I assume you mean the Bestop Sunrider freedom panel replacement. Yes, very likely the rack will interfere with that. While the cross rails must stay where they are, the Pioneer platform can be slid back about 2 inches without interfering with the rear window. However that's probably not enough to allow the Bestop Sunrider to flip back all the way.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but all the threads that I find have frankly, futher confused me. Is anyone running an iCamper Mini on their two door JL without having to use an exoskeleton rack system? The Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform isn't available for the JL, just JK. I'd rather not use an exoskeleton cage but am not sure that the rails can support the mini and two people in the tent. What is the static and dynamic weight limit of the rails? What else do I need to consider? Has anybody been successful in this combination? Thank you in advance and again, sorry if this request has been addressed; a link to the appropriate post if I missed it is greatly appreciated.
I bought a Maximus-3 Rhino Pioneer Platform kit for my 2021 2-door. It was a 2-person job to install and the instructions were not all that helpful, but the rack ended up fitting well.

Check Maximus-3 website or Rubitrux.

OP
OP
Charmagne

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I bought a Maximus-3 Rhino Pioneer Platform kit for my 2021 2-door. It was a 2-person job to install and the instructions were not all that helpful, but the rack ended up fitting well.

Check Maximus-3 website or Rubitrux.
Thank you - this seems to be the most successful solution - just wish it was easier to remove the hardtop if I wanted to take it off. Seems like once the rack is on, that sucker is there to stay.
Sponsored