Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I'm running a 2018 Sport and 2 weekends ago I was going up an obstacle which was doable, but a steep-ish pitch (35 degrees). All of a sudden the Jeep stopped and started rolling downhill when I pressed the accelerator. I lost all power to the front and back. After getting winched up I noticed that it was difficult to move from 4L, to 4H, and back. My front axle doesn't spin, but the rear does while in park. Luckily I was with a group and was able to get it into neutral.

I had it regeared to 5:13 (Spicer gears) and have an ARB rear locker, but still on factory axles. It's in the shop, but they're backed up. I was wondering if it could be the transfer case since my rear drive shaft spins in park and when I was able to get it into 2H, 4H, or 4L I hear this "clunking" sound. Or maybe I ruined my gears by going to 5:13 on stock axles.

Any suggestions, or similar experience? If I can't drive my Jeep I can at least talk about it.
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It sure sounds like a transfer case to me. Possibly the cable though if it indicates on the dash you are shifting in/out of 4hi/lo, maybe not.

If it does turn out to be the transfer case and warranty doesn't cover it, AND you aren't planning on upgrading to a 4:1, I'll sell you my old Sport transfer case for a hell of a price. I just took it out a few weeks ago. 29k miles. I'm in Dallas.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Something is going on with the rear axle if you can spin the axle while in park. At least that’s how I am reading your post

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

Something is going on with the rear axle if you can spin the axle while in park. At least that’s how I am reading your post
Thanks. Actually, the rear axle spins on its own when in park.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

sounds like gears in front axle locked up, fubar. that resulted in transfer case damage.
Morning. That's what I'm thinking too. I was planning an an axle upgrade next year, but will just pull the trigger now. Can't wait to hear what the shop says.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You sure you didn't starve the transmission going up at a steep angle? I am assuming an automatic. Correct?

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

Yes sir, it's an automatic. I checked the fluid before I left and it was good.
I have a prewheeling checklist I go through and this ride was 5 hours away, so I was especially making sure everything was good. I wheel at least once a month, sometimes 3 or 4, consistently and I wonder if a weak point just gave out.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. Actually, the rear axle spins on its own when in park.
Ok if that’s the case then the transfer case is broken or in neutral. The park pin in the transmission should be keeping from spinning.

Front gears could be locked up or t-case could be stuck in 4wd and the rear output shaft snapped.

keep us posted.

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

Ok if that’s the case then the transfer case is broken or in neutral. The park pin in the transmission should be keeping from spinning.

Front gears could be locked up or t-case could be stuck in 4wd and the rear output shaft snapped.

keep us posted.
Great info, thanks. It helps me ask better questions and learning a ton.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

For those interested the front carrier came apart, the ring is missing some teeth, and the rear passenger side axle was sheared. I don't think that obstacle broke it, but it weakened over time and the stress on that hill was too much.

It a combination of bad advice with my rear lockers on stock axles and wheeling sometimes 5 times a month.

I'm going to upgrade to one tons from Fusion 4x4, get new driveshafts and wheels. Also I'll upgrade the master brake cylinder.

It's a 6 week lead time for the axles, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
For those interested the front carrier came apart, the ring is missing some teeth, and the rear passenger side axle was sheared. I don't think that obstacle broke it, but it weakened over time and the stress on that hill was too much.

It a combination of bad advice with my rear lockers on stock axles and wheeling sometimes 5 times a month.

I'm going to upgrade to one tons from Fusion 4x4, get new driveshafts and wheels. Also I'll upgrade the master brake cylinder.

It's a 6 week lead time for the axles, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg
You broke your cross pin in the front and an axle shaft in the rear? That's not easy to do. Those two things still doesn't explain the other symptoms you described. I hope nothing else is broken. I might suggest a little less of the skinny peddle until you get a little more off road experience.

I mean of course you have lots of extra money and time. 🤣

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

You broke your cross pin in the front and an axle shaft in the rear? That's not easy to do. Those two things still doesn't explain the other symptoms you described. I hope nothing else is broken. I might suggest a little less of the skinny peddle until you get a little more off road experience.

I mean of course you have lots of extra money and time. 🤣
I know you won't believe me, but I'm a conservative driver. Mostly because I have a Sport and didn't want to break something. It'll turn out ok and I hope nothing else is broke either!

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

A little over a month ago I got my Jeep back. My wife suggested we just do upgrades now which we planned for next year. So we upgraded to Fusion 1 tons, 3.5" MC GC lift, 37s, new wheels and PSC steering. After putting 1500 miles on it including 2 off road trips I could not be happier with the setup.

FB_IMG_1631736863472.jpg

20210910_195619.jpg

20210907_071100.jpg

IMG_20210901_130531_176.jpg

IMG_20210901_130531_233.jpg

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole