First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is hilarious. You wouldn't believe how many cars are on the road with just tap water in the cooling system.
You'd be amazed at the amount of vehicles on the road have that "universal coolant" in it. When it comes to the real world, it's works. When it comes to the intranets, it's a disaster. I've asked before, "What happens if you don;t put the exact spec coolant in your car?" So far, no answers. I do know that the coolant transition back in the early 90's had problems but since 2000, no issues.

As I can tell, people like me (which do not use the official coolant) have not had a problem but I'd really like to know to what happens when you do not use it. Please give me real world examples and not some dude on YT.
Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Mopar doesn’t make coolant. They order it to spec from large chemical companies.
I know that. Others do not. Just like when Motor Oil Brand X is the specific oil to use in your vehicle yet the year before, it was brand Y.

What most people do not know is when a manufacturer sign in a contract with a supplier, their sticker goes on for that juice to go in the vehicle. As the know, the intranets will claim that you must use that brand or your engine will grenade and no warranty for you.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I know that. Others do not. Just like when Motor Oil Brand X is the specific oil to use in your vehicle yet the year before, it was brand Y.

What most people do not know is when a manufacturer sign in a contract with a supplier, their sticker goes on for that juice to go in the vehicle. As the know, the intranets will claim that you must use that brand or your engine will grenade and no warranty for you.
Yup. Chrysler is famous for not recommending Mobil 1 for a very long time just because of contacts and money with pennzoil.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Chrysler is famous for not recommending Mobil 1 for a very long time just because of contacts and money with pennzoil.
I wonder if that explains the continuing absence of "Meets Chrysler Spec MS-13340" on Mobil 1 5W-30 syn, when most other mainline brands have it on the labels of their synthetic oils.

I mention this because I've used M1 for years, and have a decent backstock (for the Hondas) in the garage that I can easily check. More to the point, MS-13340 is explicitly name-checked for the 2.0T in my Owner's Manual.

I usually feed Pennzoil Platinum to my JLU, but the most recent fill used M1, simply because that's what I had on the shelf at the time. The Blackstone analysis report mentioned nothing untoward, so I'm not losing any sleep over the matter.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Everytime I leave the dealership for any service, I always do a complete walk around and check everything, even the areas they didn't work on.

Last oil change I got, I pulled into the parking spot directly in front of the service drive and popped the hood and climbed under the Jeep and everything right there. Then I checked the interior as well. That way if they forgot to put something back, I just walk way back into the service area and tell them that they misplaced something without even having to move my Wrangler. That way if they need to they can walk over to it and see the missing part. Also it's really hard to say they didn't do it if I'm right there immediately after the service happened.

The second you go home, they have deniability.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
"What happens if you don;t put the exact spec coolant in your car?" So far, no answers.
The short answer is that these days we have aluminum blocks, aluminum heads and aluminum radiators. In the old days it was cast iron and brass. So there is a lot more chance of corrosion in the system now, you wouldn't want to run lower concentrations of coolant for very long. Also I suspect that if you mix coolant chemistries or you don't have high enough concentration of coolant where you get more corrosion you can have gunk that starts to clog the system.

I don't know why coolants change occasionally. It may be for improvements in corrosion resistance, it may be for environmental reasons. It's not for coolant performance because we've had good products for that throughout my lifetime.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The short answer is that these days we have aluminum blocks, aluminum heads and aluminum radiators. In the old days it was cast iron and brass. So there is a lot more chance of corrosion in the system now, you wouldn't want to run lower concentrations of coolant for very long. Also I suspect that if you mix coolant chemistries or you don't have high enough concentration of coolant where you get more corrosion you can have gunk that starts to clog the system.

I don't know why coolants change occasionally. It may be for improvements in corrosion resistance, it may be for environmental reasons. It's not for coolant performance because we've had good products for that throughout my lifetime.
Cast iron corrodes much worse than aluminum.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

I worked on Porsches and starting in 1978, the 928 had an aluminum block and heads. No special coolant needed. I do know that when GM started to go with aluminum heads and intake manifolds, the aluminum quality was garbage, thus it was cheaper to go to Dex-Cool over increasing the quality of the aluminum used in the castings (I know an ex GM engineer who explained it all to me).

As of today, even with the universal coolant, you rarely see any corrosion in the system or coolant fitings. Not like back in the day. I see this in the real world and across various manufacturers. In the end, that means nothing as the intranets is always right.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
As of today, even with the universal coolant, you rarely see any corrosion in the system or coolant fitings.
I took it for granted that aluminum heads and aluminum blocks was the problem, but when thinking about this thread I wondered if aluminum radiators is the biggest problem. The tubes in the radiator are very thin.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
For reference, here are two coolants with just the OAT specification on their labels, and a universal formulation that we might consider avoiding.

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230222_104045

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230222_104056

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230222_103935

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230222_103942

======================

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230222_104114

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230222_104119

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I took it for granted that aluminum heads and aluminum blocks was the problem, but when thinking about this thread I wondered if aluminum radiators is the biggest problem. The tubes in the radiator are very thin.
Ironically, I rarely ever see the aluminum in the rad ever leak. I do see the seal between the plastic tank and core leak. I do see old connectors between the hoses and aluminum housings corrode and then leak. In the early days, GM intake manifolds and heads corroded away. Thus leaked.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
For reference, here are two coolants with just the OAT specification on their labels, and a universal formulation that we might consider avoiding.

======================

Yes universal works fine but in the end, people worry about the spec. Thus rarely realize that the numbers of people outweigh for the ones vs the numbers that do not then it comes to using this universal coolant. If there was a major issue, it would be #1 on every forum out there. Yet' it's not.

People have all the faith in the world then it comes to chemists and engineers for very specific applications. Yet in others, do not. So only use the OEM stuff and make sure you use only OEM stuff for everything (even fasteners) as that's the way you can be rest assured, your Jeep will never break down as they pick the best of the best.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As a follow-up to my previous post, here's a new one just seen this morning at Auto Zone: "Si-OAT".

Mentioned because of the 2.0T's Italian provenance.

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230228_083150

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… IMG_20230228_083159

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I haven’t owned a Ford product for awhile but I know that the last few I had recommended use of BP brand gas. There were people on the internet arguing that they only used BP gas because it was Ford spec and they would drive miles out of their way to get it.
Sponsored