I assume there should be a cap here…

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
And I’ll also assume my dumb-ass dealership did this during my last oil change.

What fluid do I need to purchase? Going to get some now and will have to wait until the morning to call my dealership.

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… 4280EC21-E2CC-4E34-8DD8-D9A5F08942A6

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… 2C3B72B0-D486-4987-B0B6-9868A4B1E0A8

And, I just found the cap…

Jeep Wrangler JL I assume there should be a cap here… image
Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
That may have introduced an air bubble into your cooling system. Don’t top it up yourself, have the dealership do it so it’s their problem to fix if there’s any ongoing issues as a result.

Sponsored

j2.pictures

First Name
Justin Null
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
CDJR Salesperson
ah shit, that's the coolant tank. Happy to hear it hasn't overheated (I assume). Take that right back to the dealer and have them fix that / get it on record should it ever have cooling issues.
I second this.

OP
OP
r.stevens

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
That may have introduced an air bubble into your cooling system. Don’t top it up yourself, have the dealership do it so it’s their problem to fix if there’s any ongoing issues as a result.
Thank you. Calling them first thing. (Just had my neighbor drive me to the local Advance Auto Parts but they didn't have the correct fluid anyway). Do you think I should demand they come and pick it up?

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I would say pull the radiator cap to see where the fluid level actually is; if in doubt about the level call them to come out. Except there IS NO radiator cap. Call them—

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Calling them first thing. (Just had my neighbor drive me to the local Advance Auto Parts but they didn't have the correct fluid anyway). Do you think I should demand they come and pick it up?
I would phone the service manager and have them suggest the solution. Personally I’d be hesitant to drive it but it depends on the distance and road speeds needed to get there.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Commenting B4 I read any other replies. You only need to view the 1st few seconds of the video. I too had a weird situation with my radiator reservoir cap. Somehow it came loose but luckily it didn't come completely off. I did lose quite a bit of fluid, but we caught it in time. I do not have an explanation for how it happened. I never loosened the cap, nor did I add any fluid prior to leaving for the trip. I hope yours is OK as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
r.stevens

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Commenting B4 I read any other replies. You only need to view the 1st few seconds of the video. I too had a weird situation with my radiator reservoir cap. Somehow it came loose but luckily it didn't come completely off. I did lose quite a bit of fluid, but we caught it in time. I do not have an explanation for how it happened. I never loosened the cap, nor did I add any fluid prior to leaving for the trip. I hope yours is OK as well.
Thank you for your post. After reading it I got curious so I went back out to the garage and screwed the cap back on. There wasn't anything wrong with it. No indication that it could have worked itself off. It has to be 100% dealership fault.

This is the 2nd time in for the "free" service. First time they marked on the vehicle work sheet I went home with that they had filled all five tires up to 35 PSI. Which was an outright lie. I left a bad review and got a call from the service manager about it. This last service I didn't bother filling out the survey because I believed everything was okay.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
ah shit, that's the coolant tank. Happy to hear it hasn't overheated (I assume). Take that right back to the dealer and have them fix that / get it on record should it ever have cooling issues.
Do not go to the dealer, don't go to any dealer, especially not the dealer that did that. Don't give them a chance to screw up something even worse. Take care of it yourself so you know it is done right. If you can't for some reason then find an independent repair shop that you can trust to do those types of things for you.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Do not go to the dealer, don't go to any dealer, especially not the dealer that did that. Don't give them a chance to screw up something even worse. Take care of it yourself so you know it is done right. If you can't for some reason then find an independent repair shop that you can trust to do those types of things for you.
Yeah unless some internal damage happened dto the motor while it was potentially low on coolant. If he tries to remedy this himself, they won't entertain a thought about making this right should an engine issue display itself later on.

100% take it back to the dealer.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
With the cap off for who knows how long then the cooling system did not build pressure and raise the cooling temp. Your coolant very much likely boiled as a result. You really should get a coolant change as the coolant likely broke down.

Tech needs a swift and strong kick in the balls as well.