Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So two of my buds have already replaced their main battery. My Jeep is still doing good, but at 54,000 miles and headed to 3 years old, I am thinking of replacing and upgrading the battery. I run a fridge in the Jeep, and often are charging phones, tablets, charging camper batteries and drone batteries. I do not want to do a dual battery set up, as I have never had the battery go dead with the way I currently use it.

I would like a battery that if I have a problem, there is service or vendors around the US and Canada. I do not want to be out traveling somewhere and have to wait 5 or 10 days for a battery to show up by mail if it needs to be replaced.

I am getting ready to put a lithium 200 ah battery in the camper.
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'd replace both at the same time.

Not having issues with mine, but curious what others are using. Odyssey has my vote at the moment.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Odyssey seems to be the gold standard here. I know Optima gets a lot of hate, but I have run them in all my vehicles and my last 3 CJs. We also run them fleet wide in our rescue vehicles and ambulances. Never had a failure.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Odyssey seems to be the gold standard here. I know Optima gets a lot of hate, but I have run them in all my vehicles and my last 3 CJs. We also run them fleet wide in our rescue vehicles and ambulances. Never had a failure.
Optimas get hate? How come? I havenā€™t run one, but have heard nothing but good things about themā€¦. they donā€™t leak, they last 3x longer than a standard lead acid battery, they can withstand 15x more vibrationā€¦. Jay Leno swears by ā€˜em, heā€™s got one in every vehicle he ownsā€¦

https://www.optimabatteries.com/experience/blog/optima-at-jay-leno's-garage

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oā€™Reileys sells its own line of batteries branded Super Last. They get very good reviews. The batteries are made at the same place two-thirds of other batteries are manufactured.

Iā€™ve had good luck with them. And the staff at the counter have been surprisingly helpful in assisting me to find the exact batteries I needed.

Iā€™d give them a try.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Oā€™Reileys sells its own line of batteries branded Super Last. They get very good reviews. The batteries are made at the same place two-thirds of other batteries are manufactured.

Iā€™ve had good luck with them. And the staff at the counter have been surprisingly helpful in assisting me to find the exact batteries I needed.

Iā€™d give them a try.
I just threw two Oreilly batteries in the JLU. Are the the highest CCA or reserve, no, but I have had one in the mustang that sits for months sometimes and never had to jump it. The reliability and the fact that I can go to any of the thousands of oreilly auto stores to replace them has me going back time and again.

Of note the ones they sell tgat fit JLs are super start platinum.

Smoke ā€˜Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
Havenā€™t put one in the JL, but ran them in super duties. Northstar.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
Havenā€™t put one in the JL, but ran them in super duties. Northstar.
X2power premium batteries from batteries plus are made by Northstar and carry a great warranty. Plenty of batteries plus locations nationwide.

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I get it that you don't want to go with a Genesis system. But seriously when (not if) your baby battery fails, you're screwed. Maybe you are blessed by the vehicle gods, but my failures always occur 20 miles from the nearest pavement. At least with the Genesis system you can jump the damn thing. My install was a cinch. Just follow the youtube video. Works really good if you are running a fridge.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I get it that you don't want to go with a Genesis system. But seriously when (not if) your baby battery fails, you're screwed. Maybe you are blessed by the vehicle gods, but my failures always occur 20 miles from the nearest pavement. At least with the Genesis system you can jump the damn thing. My install was a cinch. Just follow the youtube video. Works really good if you are running a fridge.
We have the ability to charge a battery with solar, and pull a camper with additional batteries. Last weekend, my buds Jeep would not start on Friday or Saturday morning. We used the solar panels to charge the battery on Friday morning and got his Jeep started. Saturday morning, we used a battery out of my camper to start his Jeep. The camper has two batteries, so it was easy as we had lead wires that we could bolt right to his battery terminals with no issues.

So we have a back up to a back up if a battery fails or goes dead. I also thought about putting a small flexible solar panel on the roof of the Jeep that would help keep the battery topped off.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
So two of my buds have already replaced their main battery. My Jeep is still doing good, but at 54,000 miles and headed to 3 years old, I am thinking of replacing and upgrading the battery. I run a fridge in the Jeep, and often are charging phones, tablets, charging camper batteries and drone batteries. I do not want to do a dual battery set up, as I have never had the battery go dead with the way I currently use it.

I would like a battery that if I have a problem, there is service or vendors around the US and Canada. I do not want to be out traveling somewhere and have to wait 5 or 10 days for a battery to show up by mail if it needs to be replaced.

I am getting ready to put a lithium 200 ah battery in the camper.
My wife's JLU just passed the 3 year mark, but only 22K miles on it. My son and I swapped in Duralast Platinum batteries from AutoZone for the main and auxiliary at the beginning of the summer. They have a three-year free-replacement warranty on their Platinum series batteries, and AutoZones are everywhere so getting a replacement in an emergency shouldn't be a problem. The Duralast Platinum H6 we got is actually the same as the Die Hard Platinum (same gray case and all) rated at 760 CCA.

Fortunately, like you we weren't having any issues with the OEM batteries, it was really more for piece of mind because I've read through too many threads on here with owners only getting 2 years or less on their batteries before they start having electrical issues. I felt we were lucky hitting three years and didn't want to press my luck much further LOL.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Duralast Platinum as well, and did both batteries.

Even though my Jeep never acted up, the ESS hadn't worked in months (always "charging") , which was fine by me, but signaled an issue. Everything has been great since replacement.
Sponsored