I am a new Wrangler owner and ...

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I am a new Wrangler owner and I so now I even enjoy my morning trips to work . The 20 minutes of glory when I mostly stare at traffic lights still feels great as long as I am driving my beast. Now and then I look at the Jeep and I observe interesting design features and so today I was inspecting the rear door. When I looked at the spare tire I realized that in the case that somebody rear ended me most of the impact would be directed at the tire and the rear door would be completely destroyed. I am thinking that maybe inserting a rubber wedge and fitting it between the rear bumper and the tire could somehow prevent the door damage.
Enjoy your Wrangler - I'm on my 2nd one, the first being a 2 door JK 2007 just traded it after 12 years for a 2019 JLU. Starting the rebuild all over again. And it does make the ride to work a little more tolerable!
Sponsored

Parispete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 Door Rirecracker Red
Occupation
Highway inspector
Welcome to Wrangler Nation.

I’ve had Twelve Wranglers. People have piled into my front bumper, front right, and rear bumper. In every case their vehicles were totaled and my Wrangler barely noticed. So, I bought Wranglers for both of my daughters. I do feel the mounted spare tire helps absorb rear collisions, but depending on speed and nature of impact I’m sure there will always be damage. If you have bigger tires, a lift, and armor, the added weight and stability is an advantage.

All that said, I went off-roading yesterday and love how my rig looks on the outside more than ever!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

349DE689-F8F3-4EC1-BE16-41075927BC63.jpeg
Looks like fun. I have the 2019 Rubi and hope to get it dirty soon. I work on the highway in inspection and went of road the other day. That Jeep is a power house out on the dirt hills. I like it a lot

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I was actually rear ended a couple months ago, literally one day after I installed new metal bumpers. I was rear ended on the interstate with the impact of 2 cars that hit me (it was a chain reaction accident, not my fault), and I had no damage other than the brand new bumper I put on! Fortunately the bumper sits out a little bit, so the car behind me didn’t even hit the rest of my Jeep... as annoyed as I was that it was brand new, I’m glad I had the metal one on the Jeep. So glad I have it and that it kept me safe. You can see how bent the bumper is in the pics.

E647849B-ECA5-4D2B-A5D2-6099BCD808A2.jpeg

BB735F8B-E887-48B0-9D52-0EA7245DBF78.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I was actually rear ended a couple months ago, literally one day after I installed new metal bumpers. I was rear ended on the interstate with the impact of 2 cars that hit me (it was a chain reaction accident, not my fault), and I had no damage other than the brand new bumper I put on! Fortunately the bumper sits out a little bit, so the car behind me didn’t even hit the rest of my Jeep... as annoyed as I was that it was brand new, I’m glad I had the metal one on the Jeep. So glad I have it and that it kept me safe. You can see how bent the bumper is in the pics.

wow, that piece of steel protected you well I bet the other car didn't come out of this so easy

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I was going to write, that the best way to protect the tailgate and the spare, would be to install a bumper that sticks out further. Ideally further than the spare. Of course, this will either destroy the bumper on impact; as seen above or transfer the impact fully to the frame. As others have stated: that might not be a good thing.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
wow, that piece of steel protected you well I bet the other car didn't come out of this so easy
Yes, it definitely did! It also was fairly cheap, and the person who caused the accident just gave me cash to replace it... so no headaches of making any claims. The car that was behind me (that was also not at fault) was definitely not as lucky - the front of his Ford SUV was ruined due to my bumper and the back was ruined by the van behind him that caused the wreck. It was crazy, and I was thankful for my minor damage and no injuries. The person behind me was already in the process of slowing down because I was stopped, so he did shield me from a little bit of the impact caused by the van behind him.

I was going to write, that the best way to protect the tailgate and the spare, would be to install a bumper that sticks out further. Ideally further than the spare. Of course, this will either destroy the bumper on impact; as seen above or transfer the impact fully to the frame. As others have stated: that might not be a good thing.
Yeah, every accident is unique in that depending on the angle of the hit, speed you and the other driver are going, type of vehicle that hits you, number of cars involved, height of the car behind you and yours, etc., your vehicle could take the hit differently. I was very fortunate to have such minor damage and luckily suffered no issues to the back/frame of my Jeep (I was hit straight on from behind, so the Ford behind me hit straight into my bumper). Obviously depending on the variable factors of an accident, it could always turn out different. I was very lucky and love my metal tubular bumpers. I would definitely recommend them to others!

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Yes, it definitely did! It also was fairly cheap, and the person who caused the accident just gave me cash to replace it... so no headaches of making any claims. The car that was behind me (that was also not at fault) was definitely not as lucky - the front of his Ford SUV was ruined due to my bumper and the back was ruined by the van behind him that caused the wreck. It was crazy, and I was thankful for my minor damage and no injuries. The person behind me was already in the process of slowing down because I was stopped, so he did shield me from a little bit of the impact caused by the van behind him.

Yeah, every accident is unique in that depending on the angle of the hit, speed you and the other driver are going, type of vehicle that hits you, number of cars involved, height of the car behind you and yours, etc., your vehicle could take the hit differently. I was very fortunate to have such minor damage and luckily suffered no issues to the back/frame of my Jeep (I was hit straight on from behind, so the Ford behind me hit straight into my bumper). Obviously depending on the variable factors of an accident, it could always turn out different. I was very lucky and love my metal tubular bumpers. I would definitely recommend them to others!
yes, every accident is defferent ,Kate I guess you will replace the bumper with the same steel one , right ?

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
yes, every accident is defferent ,Kate I guess you will replace the bumper with the same steel one , right ?
Yep, I already replaced it with the same one (it's easy to install without drilling any additional holes or anything)! Since she gave me cash for the price of the bumper, I ordered a new one right after it happened. Luckily, I have had the new one for almost 3 months now, and it has stayed in perfect condition. Honestly, I didn't buy the tubular bumpers specifically for protection, I just liked the way it looked... but I would definitely recommend!
Sponsored