Sponsored

I am a new Wrangler owner and ...

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I do not believe it is difficult to conceptualize my idea. I believe anybody taking a look at how the spare tire is mounted on the rear door of Wrangler JL will notice the gap between the bottom of the tire and top of the bumper . I am not really too worried about it but I just thought to myself that placing and positioning of the spare tire could have been improved so that the tire in case of rear end accident would transfer the force of the impact into the bumper itself and not the door. I as well can see why the gap is needed for accommodating larger spare wheel.
Yes, and the door opens and the tire vibrates going down the road. The bumper is connected to the frame, the tire the body. They move a little differently so I think your idea of connecting them is challenging to make work during an impact.

Can you draw your idea as maybe myself and others are visualizing it differently than you.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Don't waster your time/money on the rubber piece. If I understand your idea correctly, you're hoping the rubber will support the tire, and prevent a downward twisting force from damaging the door by transfer the force to the bumper rather than the door? While that idea would potentially work, a piece of rubber supportive enough to do that would make the rear hatch a pain to open/close.

That said, vehicles are designed to absorb damage in a very specific manner. The intent is ALWAYS to protect the occupants even if it's at the cost of the vehicle. Let the Jeep react as it should even if it means you need a new tailgate. Not worth saving the tailgate if it means the occupants experience a greater change in velocity, and increased risk of injury.

....Many vehicle owners, Wrangler included, seem to think that installing a rear hitch--if you don't have one--and putting a receiver ball into it is the best method of absorbing such damage; much that it can put pressure during impact on other areas of the rig.
Yeah I never understood that. Sure it's great for minimizing damage resulting from a tap, but anything substantial is going to create problems. Instead of the force dissipating through panels, you're directing it all to your frame. It's almost like you're asking for the frame to get messed up. I'll pass, and replace a body panel or two instead.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Congratulations on your new Jeep JL! Make sure you have AAA. You will need the towing option.
thanks Mr. Optimist
Ha ha. Jokes on him because AAA sucks. It was good years ago, but a tow typically takes an hour or more to arrive. Most insurance polices can include tow reimbursement at a much cheaper rate, and you don't need to wait for a AAA company to come to you. You can just get the closest one, or your favorite company.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha. Jokes on him because AAA sucks. It was good years ago, but a tow typically takes an hour or more to arrive. Most insurance polices can include tow reimbursement at a much cheaper rate, and you don't need to wait for a AAA company to come to you. You can just get the closest one, or your favorite company.
Actually, the jokes on you.....I get towed pithing 45 minutes, up to 100 miles....you could always get the cheap version if you want.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Just add a sweet new steel bumper!! Welcome to the fun club

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Congratulations on your new Jeep JL! Make sure you have AAA. You will need the towing option.
That would be CAA (not AAA) and he won't need it. Clearly he makes good decisions because he drinks Boreale. Don't fret over the little things. But I'm glad I don't have to pay pricey Toronto insurance! ;)

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I do not believe it is difficult to conceptualize my idea. I believe anybody taking a look at how the spare tire is mounted on the rear door of Wrangler JL will notice the gap between the bottom of the tire and top of the bumper . I am not really too worried about it but I just thought to myself that placing and positioning of the spare tire could have been improved so that the tire in case of rear end accident would transfer the force of the impact into the bumper itself and not the door. I as well can see why the gap is needed for accommodating larger spare wheel.
ok

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
That would be CAA (not AAA) and he won't need it. Clearly he makes good decisions because he drinks Boreale. Don't fret over the little things. But I'm glad I don't have to pay pricey Toronto insurance! ;)
actually my insurance dropped by 100$ to about 800$ a year so I am still left with few bucks for a good brew , unfortunately I am not able to get Boreale here in TO , thanks for the support : )

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't waster your time/money on the rubber piece. If I understand your idea correctly, you're hoping the rubber will support the tire, and prevent a downward twisting force from damaging the door by transfer the force to the bumper rather than the door? While that idea would potentially work, a piece of rubber supportive enough to do that would make the rear hatch a pain to open/close.

That said, vehicles are designed to absorb damage in a very specific manner. The intent is ALWAYS to protect the occupants even if it's at the cost of the vehicle. Let the Jeep react as it should even if it means you need a new tailgate. Not worth saving the tailgate if it means the occupants experience a greater change in velocity, and increased risk of injury.

Yeah I never understood that. Sure it's great for minimizing damage resulting from a tap, but anything substantial is going to create problems. Instead of the force dissipating through panels, you're directing it all to your frame. It's almost like you're asking for the frame to get messed up. I'll pass, and replace a body panel or two instead.
I understand your point Shots and thanks for the detailed opinion. I sometimes feel that asking certain questions unfortunately stirs up too many emotions of some forum members but sometimes I just see things that I feel could be improved upon and I wonder and I question and sometimes I question out loud . That's the way I am : )

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, and the door opens and the tire vibrates going down the road. The bumper is connected to the frame, the tire the body. They move a little differently so I think your idea of connecting them is challenging to make work during an impact.

Can you draw your idea as maybe myself and others are visualizing it differently than you.
sorry , I am giving up on this topic and I appreciate everybody's response

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I understand your point Shots and thanks for the detailed opinion. I sometimes feel that asking certain questions unfortunately stirs up too many emotions of some forum members but sometimes I just see things that I feel could be improved upon and I wonder and I question and sometimes I question out loud . That's the way I am : )
Nothing wrong with asking the question(s). You don't know if it's possible for it to have worked unless you explore the idea. Nothing wrong with thinking of mods, or questioning if there is another/better way to do something. If someone gets emotional about it, so be it, they'll survive.
I like the thought process you had. Nothing wrong with thinking aloud. Keep it up, you be you.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
A number of manufacturers make spare tyre supports that are off the rear bumper....usually because bigger tyres put too much stress on the door hinges. I had the AEV rear bumper and spare tyre carrier which looks great. Anybody rear ending you, the forces applied will still impact the rear door, but maybe not so much.
I’m no expert, but that’s an idea.

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/jeep-wrangler-jl-parts/bumpers/rear-bumpers-tire-carriers

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

I am a new Wrangler owner and I so now I even enjoy my morning trips to work . The 20 minutes of glory when I mostly stare at traffic lights still feels great as long as I am driving my beast. Now and then I look at the Jeep and I observe interesting design features and so today I was inspecting the rear door. When I looked at the spare tire I realized that in the case that somebody rear ended me most of the impact would be directed at the tire and the rear door would be completely destroyed. I am thinking that maybe inserting a rubber wedge and fitting it between the rear bumper and the tire could somehow prevent the door damage.
That’s what insurance is for

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing wrong with asking the question(s). You don't know if it's possible for it to have worked unless you explore the idea. Nothing wrong with thinking of mods, or questioning if there is another/better way to do something. If someone gets emotional about it, so be it, they'll survive.
I like the thought process you had. Nothing wrong with thinking aloud. Keep it up, you be you.
That’s what insurance is for
LOL I just hate dealing with those insurance types
Sponsored