I am a new Wrangler owner and ...

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I am a new Wrangler owner and I so now I even enjoy my morning trips to work . The 20 minutes of glory when I mostly stare at traffic lights still feels great as long as I am driving my beast. Now and then I look at the Jeep and I observe interesting design features and so today I was inspecting the rear door. When I looked at the spare tire I realized that in the case that somebody rear ended me most of the impact would be directed at the tire and the rear door would be completely destroyed. I am thinking that maybe inserting a rubber wedge and fitting it between the rear bumper and the tire could somehow prevent the door damage.
Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Add a picture after you do that. I would be interested in seeing how it works. I leave a hitch extension on thunking that would help defend the tire and rear door.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
In most of the rear end accidents with a Jeep that I have seen, and the one time I was rear ended, the spare tire takes most of the impact and the car that rear ended the Jeep sustains most of the damage.

There may be minor damage to the rear door, but in my case the door still functioned and the damage really wasn’t visible, although the body shop I took it to still replaced it.

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
I'd just have the insurance of who ever hit me fix everything up to new. Or my insurance, if the other party has none. Can't imagine some rubber piece would do much of anything, aside of probably rubbing off the paint if it touches it. Not something to worry about IMO. Enjoy your new ride!

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to Wrangler Nation.

I’ve had Twelve Wranglers. People have piled into my front bumper, front right, and rear bumper. In every case their vehicles were totaled and my Wrangler barely noticed. So, I bought Wranglers for both of my daughters. I do feel the mounted spare tire helps absorb rear collisions, but depending on speed and nature of impact I’m sure there will always be damage. If you have bigger tires, a lift, and armor, the added weight and stability is an advantage.

All that said, I went off-roading yesterday and love how my rig looks on the outside more than ever!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

349DE689-F8F3-4EC1-BE16-41075927BC63.jpeg

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Just leave it. I doubt a piece of rubber will do anything.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I am a new Wrangler owner and I so now I even enjoy my morning trips to work . The 20 minutes of glory when I mostly stare at traffic lights still feels great as long as I am driving my beast. Now and then I look at the Jeep and I observe interesting design features and so today I was inspecting the rear door. When I looked at the spare tire I realized that in the case that somebody rear ended me most of the impact would be directed at the tire and the rear door would be completely destroyed. I am thinking that maybe inserting a rubber wedge and fitting it between the rear bumper and the tire could somehow prevent the door damage.
  • I'm having a hard time conceptualizing your idea.
  • Appreciate, if you don't, that your Wrangler already has rubber bumpers coming out of the rear door that interface with your spare tire. I'm not suggesting though that these bumpers are much designed to absorb impact pressure so as to preserve your rear door.
  • Your Wrangler rides higher than many other vehicles. Such an impact point you describe might be lower, and
  • Many vehicle owners, Wrangler included, seem to think that installing a rear hitch--if you don't have one--and putting a receiver ball into it is the best method of absorbing such damage; much that it can put pressure during impact on other areas of the rig.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Was rear ended years ago. (YJ) Caved in the tail gate and bent the right rear corner in where the hinges are attached. Also buckled the tub/body under the passenger door as well. New rear frame cross member was also needed where the bumper ette's bolt on. One of the bumper-ette's was flattened. The frame was okay but the body flexed on the rubber mounts enough to cause the slight buckle under the passenger door. The person that hit me (dodge dakota) was towed due to their front grill being caved in damaging the radiator.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

I’ve had Twelve Wranglers. People have piled into my front bumper, front right, and rear bumper. In every case their vehicles were totaled and my Wrangler barely noticed. So, I bought Wranglers for both of my daughters. I do feel the mounted spare tire helps absorb rear collisions, but depending on speed and nature of impact I’m sure there will always be damage. If you have bigger tires, a lift, and armor, the added weight and stability is an advantage.

All that said, I went off-roading yesterday and love how my rig looks on the outside more than ever!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Nice Jeep! Mopar lift and 37’s?

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

your rig looks unstoppable :}

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • I'm having a hard time conceptualizing your idea.
  • Appreciate, if you don't, that your Wrangler already has rubber bumpers coming out of the rear door that interface with your spare tire. I'm not suggesting though that these bumpers are much designed to absorb impact pressure so as to preserve your rear door.
  • Your Wrangler rides higher than many other vehicles. Such an impact point you describe might be lower, and
  • Many vehicle owners, Wrangler included, seem to think that installing a rear hitch--if you don't have one--and putting a receiver ball into it is the best method of absorbing such damage; much that it can put pressure during impact on other areas of the rig.
I do not believe it is difficult to conceptualize my idea. I believe anybody taking a look at how the spare tire is mounted on the rear door of Wrangler JL will notice the gap between the bottom of the tire and top of the bumper . I am not really too worried about it but I just thought to myself that placing and positioning of the spare tire could have been improved so that the tire in case of rear end accident would transfer the force of the impact into the bumper itself and not the door. I as well can see why the gap is needed for accommodating larger spare wheel.