I’m stuck at lake Powell (page Az)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
O.P. don't feel like all is lost probably everyone on here has been stuck. I don't know how many times I've been stuck even. I started at 16 years old getting stuck and with a car, that's been stuck so bad a bulldozer was what got it out. I couldn't see the dirt road coming back out of river bottoms from fishing due to fog. The clay and river mud halfway up doors by the time it got pulled out. Luckily I was known by the land owner and that I wasn't up to no good. I just left the keys and walked home to go back the next day. The owner knew me since I was 9 years old and always going fishing.
I really like the traction boards concept of bridging but the 2 sets I have wouldn't hold up with it, but I don't plan on using them that way. If I'm going to be needing to do bridging I'll get the P.S.P. or aluminum ones for that, like used on Camel Trophy challenge.
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
my advice, never go alone.
if two other jeeps were there, they could have trained you out for free. plus someone would know where to dig, etc.
if your phone had died you could have been there a week. eatin' mud to survive.

there are about 1000 reasons to not go alone.
He said his friend was there with a 4Runner.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been going back and forth about getting a Spot for a while now. I don't like the annual cost, but my wife and I are often on trails or in places where cell phone service is useless and rescue may be hours away at best. I think after the $50 price cut on the Gen4, we are going to go ahead and get one. They have a Save Our Vehicle service for a little extra that I think would have really helped with something like this if your phone wasn't working. Plus, being able to immediately do an SOS from pretty much anywhere with a view of the sky is a nice feeling to have.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have been going back and forth about getting a Spot for a while now. I don't like the annual cost, but my wife and I are often on trails or in places where cell phone service is useless and rescue may be hours away at best. I think after the $50 price cut on the Gen4, we are going to go ahead and get one. They have a Save Our Vehicle service for a little extra that I think would have really helped with something like this if your phone wasn't working. Plus, being able to immediately do an SOS from pretty much anywhere with a view of the sky is a nice feeling to have.
I have a garmin inreach. It has monthly plans. So what I do is activate it for the months I plan on going out in the middle of nowhere.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a garmin inreach. It has monthly plans. So what I do is activate it for the months I plan on going out in the middle of nowhere.
You can do that with Spot too, it's $14.95 a month + a flexible fee of $24.95 + the activation fee. As far as I can tell the activation fee is a one time thing but you have to pay the flex fee every year you want to do month to month service. The alternative is a year at $11.95 a month.

Garmin seems to be $14.95 a month + $34.95 for the flexible plans. Plus the equipment is quite a bit more expensive, there's no $99 equivalent. The equipment is nicer, but really I just need a rescue device. I like that the Garmin / Spot can confirm that the signal was received vs a beacon that just keeps sending (but no fees on the beacon).

The Garmin Iridium network is better, but for North America it really shouldn't matter too much.

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Sahara
A wise man once told me: "there is a time and a place to make your own tracks, but if you're offroad, alone, in an area you haven't been before, make sure you're following in the tracks of someone else. Those tracks have a story to tell..."

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
They travel 3-4h each way on many of their trips. And bring a camera crew. The video revenue must truly be great
Yes, considering more than half there are on the video crew! I love Matt's Off Road Recovery. Would have been cool to see the OP on it.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
A wise man once told me: "there is a time and a place to make your own tracks, but if you're offroad, alone, in an area you haven't been before, make sure you're following in the tracks of someone else. Those tracks have a story to tell..."
If in deep sand, it may be your only path.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I had a similar thing happen to me. I had a 2000 Dodge 2500 Diesel, and a new house. I was clearing some stumps, by yanking them out. Unbeknownst to me, the soil under my back yard is clay, and it had been raining hard, a few days before. I parked the truck, to tie off the chain, and when I looked back, the truck had sunk to the frame. Struck stuck stuck. Lucky for me, I knew some wrecker drivers, and they got me out, but almost got stuck themselves. It took them about 30 minutes. It only cost me a lunch for them.
17 yrs later, my wife still reminds me of this.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@stylett9

I went out to play and didn’t realize how wet it actually was so I got stuck as well in a similar situation by myself. Had to call a friend with a Ford to pull me out:giggle:… it was a Raptor at least and not a Bronco!

Jeep Wrangler JL I’m stuck at lake Powell (page Az) AB665FB2-B42B-4F8E-B645-FD3C5F0744EB

Jeep Wrangler JL I’m stuck at lake Powell (page Az) C8352C3A-478F-4587-9B27-4E0F0FE4C40D

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
@stylett9

I went out to play and didn’t realize how wet it actually was so I got stuck as well in a similar situation by myself. Had to call a friend with a Ford to pull me out:giggle:… it was a Raptor at least and not a Bronco!

Jeep Wrangler JL I’m stuck at lake Powell (page Az) C8352C3A-478F-4587-9B27-4E0F0FE4C40D

Jeep stayed fairly clean amazingly.
Question for the pro's. Would traction boards have a shot with the Jeep that deep?
Sponsored