Sponsored

I’m so excited it arrived 😡 @ExtremeTerrain I thought I heard a C-130 overhead.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
There seem to be two predominant methods for packaging these days:

1 - good quality box, and absolutely no padding whatsoever.
2 - wrapped in a bubblewrap/packing tape cocoon, with a tattered piece of cardboard ("the box") taped to the outside.

Remarkably, both seem to work, as I haven't had any damage claims in years. But sometimes i'm at a loss to understand how something survived a cross-country trip in the packaging it arrived in.
My son was a packer for Amazon and he said adding air packing was optional if the item wasn't electronic. It explained how so many items had zero packing material from them. Some vendors really care how the item arrives and some seem to care that the item simply arrives.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I hate being excited about something and it gets dropped off looking like shit.

Always reminds me of this scene:

My Ring video doorbell, peace be upon its name, recently captured the UPS driver du jour using the motorcycle tires that he just dropped on the porch as a field-expedient hoop, into which he again dropped two small boxes also in the delivery.

Nothing was damaged, thankfully. Had that occurred, no matter how minor it was, I'd have had a field day with Claims Support. 1080p don't lie.

The annual subscription fee that Ring extorts, so as to have post-facto event viewing available in the Cloud, is totally worth it.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
My son was a packer for Amazon and he said adding air packing was optional if the item wasn't electronic. It explained how so many items had zero packing material from them. Some vendors really care how the item arrives and some seem to care that the item simply arrives.
I have done or been involved with a lot of product packaging designs for medical devices and frankly most things just need a box to prevent movement. If the item is heavy or large then there are always issues and no matter how well you pack it you'll have some outliers that get damaged. But when you don't package it well (or design it well to take some shock and vibe) you have a high percentage of damaged products from shipping. Most companies do an adequate job packaging their products, a few are absolutely amazing and a few are absolutely horrid.
Jeep aftermarket companies that I have dealt with that do an excellent job on packaging, American Adventure Lab, Shrockworks, LOD, Aeroforce (ebay makes a gauge pod for Apillar), Expedition Essentials, Outback adventures, Method, Brawlee light, and Mopar/Jeep (with the 1st 4 absolutely outstanding levels of protection and care for their product). AAL does such a careful job it makes you question if they're doing too much (literally asked myself this when I got products from them)

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Oh man that sucks. I hate being excited about something and it gets dropped off looking like shit.

Always reminds me of this scene:

When that movie first came out and this was the opening scene, I didn't immediately realize it was the movie. I thought it was just another ad, maybe for insurance or a shipping company... but then I saw it was Jim Carrey and realized it was the movie. I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard for a scene as that moment

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
yeah. it is common man. Anywhere you order from, heavy stuff like bumpers arrive like that a lot. ET will take it back and send a new one. It is a lottery.
What a joke.
This is why companies like Shrockworks and LOD pack their stuff so well. It's a pain to get their products unwrapped, but rarely do they show up damaged. While I'm not a fan of Extreme Terrain, this isn't their fault, this is on DV8 and how they choose to cut corners to save some money on shipping.

Usually these things ship via freight to shops and they don't get damaged that way, but when shipped to a person a box needs a lot more packaging material to handle UPS and FedEx system. Plus it looks like DV8 picked a low quality box, I'd expect much thicker walls like a 500# cardboard. That looks like a 250# wall.
My company would have had it in a wooden box
You tagged the vendor in a provocative thread title, Paul, so play fair here and finish the story. Please disclose the condition of the box's contents.
There were a few scratches and 4 places where the powder coat was scuffed off

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My Ring video doorbell, peace be upon its name, recently captured the UPS driver du jour using the motorcycle tires that he just dropped on the porch as a field-expedient hoop, into which he again dropped two small boxes also in the delivery.

Nothing was damaged, thankfully. Had that occurred, no matter how minor it was, I'd have had a field day with Claims Support. 1080p don't lie.

The annual subscription fee that Ring extorts, so as to have post-facto event viewing available in the Cloud, is totally worth it.
Absolutely lol I’ve seen some funny shit with Amazon drivers on the Ring. Too funny

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
When that movie first came out and this was the opening scene, I didn't immediately realize it was the movie. I thought it was just another ad, maybe for insurance or a shipping company... but then I saw it was Jim Carrey and realized it was the movie. I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard for a scene as that moment
You and me both lol It’s so funny because we all think that’s what happened to our package if it looks like crap automatically and probably thanks to that very scene haha

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
What a joke.

Yeah it is what it is. Nobody ships bumpers in a crate. This happened to me too. Damage was actually quite bad. They let me keep the bumper and gave me my money back, I sold it and bought a new one. New one came just fine. a few scratches here and there I would use a rattle can. Want a perfect bumper? order bare steel and get it powdercoated.

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What a joke.

I know it all comes down to pennies, but first impressions are important. Could you imagine getting that wrapped up for Christmas? How about a Mopar Jeep lift kit. Wooden box, at least it comes off as a premium product.

Deadpool_JL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Islander 2.0T Firecracker Red
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Jeep aftermarket companies that I have dealt with that do an excellent job on packaging, American Adventure Lab, Shrockworks, LOD, Aeroforce (ebay makes a gauge pod for Apillar), Expedition Essentials, Outback adventures, Method, Brawlee light, and Mopar/Jeep (with the 1st 4 absolutely outstanding levels of protection and care for their product).

AAL does such a careful job it makes you question if they're doing too much
You, maybe, but not me. Perhaps not the rest of us, either. ;)

We are not suffering, anytime or anywhere, from a surplus of sellers who package their goods for shipment in too careful a manner.

No matter the carrier, a clear plurality of my web orders could have been better packaged to survive the usual rigors of transit. I've observed a gradual shift from boxes to padded envelopes, when the former should have been used, full stop.

I will say that over the past few years, vendors have on average begun to more aggressively dismiss my concerns when I send an email with photos and a polite explanation of the damage. Perhaps they don't like being called out on what they surely are aware of? They surely wouldn't like being namechecked, as they then are, in reviews and/or forum threads where I have the opportunity to warn others of their unsatisfactory customer service.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
You, maybe, but not me. Perhaps not the rest of us, either. ;)

We are not suffering, anytime or anywhere, from a surplus of sellers who package their goods for shipment in too careful a manner.

No matter the carrier, a clear plurality of my web orders could have been better packaged to survive the usual rigors of transit. I've observed a gradual shift from boxes to padded envelopes, when the former should have been used, full stop.

I will say that over the past few years, vendors have on average begun to more aggressively dismiss my concerns when I send an email with photos and a polite explanation of the damage. Perhaps they don't like being called out on what they surely are aware of? They surely wouldn't like being namechecked, as they then are, in reviews and/or forum threads where I have the opportunity to warn others of their unsatisfactory customer service.
Have you ordered from AAL? First packaging costs money and time (employee hours), so if a company like AAL is wrapping the parts in foam, then saran-wrap and then more foam followed by box fill it makes me see a double edge sword. While I really like the effort they've put forward to make sure their product arrives undamaged, I also know it is a lot more than what is needed and see it as making their product more expensive. They could just wrap it in foam once and use box fill and it would be just as protected. But like I said it makes you question it, I'd rather a company do too much than not enough. Plus they spend all this time wrapping up their product and in my case clearly not enough time making sure their products are made correctly.
I've seen some people in this thread say packaging costs pennies, that is very far from the truth. Packaging materials are expensive. Cardboard is cheap, but foam, bubble wrap, and other filler is very expensive. The stuff isn't cheap, takes up a lot of warehouse space and doesn't go as far as you'd think. The crumpled up brown paper stuff is one of the only low cost options, but it doesn't work well on heavier items, but it goes a long way for the amount of space it takes up.

I will add, as far as vendors or suppliers of products and how they package their stuff goes over the years. My experience is that the good companies package their products well and I've seen that continue or a steady improvement from the good companies. The resellers it has decreased, so even good shops to buy from like Northridge4x4 are doing less to make sure their products arrive undamaged. But in my experience when you buy something from NR4x4 it is packaged much better than what I've received from companies like Quadratec. And from what I've seen with other peoples experiences, the cheaper mass produced chinese brands (like DV8, smittybilt, most of Extreme Terrains catalog) have never done that good of a job and what little they did do has decreased with time.
Sponsored