Sponsored

I’m Really Confused About Shifting A 392 Wrangler

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Newbie here so please hold your fire. First Jeep on the way soon. I‘m watching videos about how to shift a Wrangler JL, but shifting the 392 is apparently different than the other JL’s. Here’s what I think to be true for the 392 transfer case:
4High Auto = gear for normal everyday driving on smooth hard surfaces
4High Part Time = gear for temporary 4 wheel driving. Not to be used all the time as could damage drive train.
N = neutral used for being towed
4Low = gear for slow rock crawling, etc..

Where my confusion comes in is reading the online owners manual for the 392 special features. In part it says, quote:
“This transfer case is designed to be driven in the four-wheel drive position (4H AUTO) for normal street and highway conditions on dry hard surfaced roads.
For variable driving conditions, the 4H AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicle's power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction.
In the event that additional traction is required, the transfer case 4H AUTO and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. The 4H AUTO and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only and not intended for normal driving. Driving in the 4H AUTO and 4L positions on hard-surfaced roads will cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components.”

The last two sentences basically state 4High Auto must not be used for daily driving. But that contradicts what I previously learned about 4High Auto and that being used for daily driving on hard surfaces.

Youtube has approximately ZERO videos on how to use the 392 Wrangler specific transfer case.

Can anyone help me solve this contradiction with 4High Auto?
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
“In the event that additional traction is required, the transfer case 4H AUTO and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. The 4H AUTO and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only and not intended for normal driving. Driving in the 4H AUTO and 4L positions on hard-surfaced roads will cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components.”

I don’t have a 392, but if that’s what the manual says it’s a mistake. Substitute 4H for 4H AUTO above and that will be correct and the way it works.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Sounds like FCA needs to hire a proofreader.

But don't think too hard about this. Here's a quick recap:

2H - everyday dry pavement use, rear wheel drive
4H Auto - mostly 2H, but 4WD kicks in as needed, automatically
4H - 4WD high range, offroad, loose, slippery surface
4L - 4WD low range, rock crawling

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
It is interesting that they dont say you can drive all the time in 4 auto. Isnt this how it typically works with other manufacturers?

Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
There isn't a 2WD option, 4H Auto is the standard driving condition.
I understand that, but 4 auto is available on other wranglers and yet it says they're not to use it on a dry roadway. What would make the 392 different that its ok? It really seems that 4 auto is fine to use all the time on all wranglers but yet Jeep feels differently I guess...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I understand that, but 4 auto is available on other wranglers and yet it says they're not to use it on a dry roadway. What would make the 392 different that its ok? It really seems that 4 auto is fine to use all the time on all wranglers but yet Jeep feels differently I guess...
It's written incorrectly.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Different transfer case in 392.

Sam

DocC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 392 (soon)
Where does the OffRoad + button factor into all of this?

Sponsored