Sponsored

I’m looking to build a JLU

• Thread starter Deleted member 29342
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 29342

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum but not new to a Wrangler. I’m looking to build a 19 JLU in the upcoming weeks. I’m looking to get either a Sahara or Rubincon. This Jeep will be replacing our Jeep Grand Cherokee summit family car the lease is up May 2019. Just want to know the main difference between the 2 models and hear from members. My father has a 14 2 door Rubicon it does ride rough due to the off road tire it comes with. I don’t know if there been changes made in the 19 JLU or maybe with a longer wheel base that the 4 door have it might be better.
Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The Grand Cherokee rides very well and the Wrangler will never ride as smooth. If you want a smooth ride over everything else, just get another GC. Having said that, the rubicon and Sahara, all things equal, should feel fairly similar in ride. The Sahara won’t have front and rear lockers or electronic sway bar disco. Or come with lower gearing. But the Sahara still a very capable off road Jeep—just not on par with a Rubicon. If you plan on off roading and want all the bells and whistles go Rubicon. If you plan on mainly city driving and no technical trails, and still want all the bells and whistles, go Sahara. Sahara can still handle technical trails, just won’t be as easy as a Rubi would be.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
If you're looking for one loaded with "luxury" features (like the GC Summit), you might like a JLU Moab. Basically a fully loaded Sahara with some Rubicon-style parts, in my opinion the most "comfortable" as a daily driver with family. Still not as capable off-road, but comes with full-time 4WD and a limited slip differential which works well in a lot of conditions (probably not rock crawling).

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Will you lease again?

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking for one loaded with "luxury" features (like the GC Summit), you might like a JLU Moab. Basically a fully loaded Sahara with some Rubicon-style parts, in my opinion the most "comfortable" as a daily driver with family. Still not as capable off-road, but comes with full-time 4WD and a limited slip differential which works well in a lot of conditions (probably not rock crawling).
Other than AWD, are there any luxury features on sahara vs rubicon?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

No if I go with a wrangler I’ll will not lease it. I will buy it with an extended warranty tho. If I go back to GC I’ll lease that. I know I’ll never get the ride like a GC summit from a Sahara or rubi but I’ll get other features a GC can’t offer “ no roof and doors when it’s summer time” Sahara offer this. Is this locking axel? I was debating on the full time awd that the Sahara offered for my wife but then I told my self she don’t drive in the snow.

97289629-84E2-438D-87ED-09E4A17EDFBC.png

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other than AWD, are there any luxury features on sahara vs rubicon?
I don't think so, both have pretty much same options available for seats (cloth/leather) and everything else. The Moab adds a few things - better quality leather, leather-wrapped dash, black accents. Mostly all personal preference things I suppose.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No if I go with a wrangler I’ll will not lease it. I will buy it with an extended warranty tho. If I go back to GC I’ll lease that. I know I’ll never get the ride like a GC summit from a Sahara or rubi but I’ll get other features a GC can’t offer “ no roof and doors when it’s summer time” Sahara offer this. Is this locking axel? I was debating on the full time awd that the Sahara offered for my wife but then I told my self she don’t drive in the snow.

97289629-84E2-438D-87ED-09E4A17EDFBC.png
That's one thing that people on here like about the full-time 4WD, easy for those who don't know how to or want to mess with shifting transfer case. I think the decision between Sahara and Rubicon really comes down to what you are going to do with it and how much you want to spend on it. Most would agree that a Rubicon is better, but of course there is a price to pay for the increased off-road ability. I (for one) decided I didn't want/need it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You said you wanted to "build" a JLU. You didn't say the intended use and/or outcome.

Many the classic off-road suspension and tire mods detract from the on-road driveability. Lifting any vehicle raises the center of gravity and cornering and emergency maneuvering are compromised. Larger tires are heavier and increase unsprung weight, which causes tires to lose contact with the road when bumps are encountered, especially noticeable during cornering. Increased unsprung weight also makes ride quality suffer. Off-road tires tend to have taller sidewalls, which decreases tread stability and steering response. Really aggressive off-road tread has less tread stability, and usually doesn't have braking and cornering on-road traction that a street tire provides. So, a Jeep JLU is not going to ride, handle, or steer, anywhere near as civil as a Grand Cherokee on the road, and likely less so, the more you make it more off-road capable.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum but not new to a Wrangler. I’m looking to build a 19 JLU in the upcoming weeks. I’m looking to get either a Sahara or Rubincon. This Jeep will be replacing our Jeep Grand Cherokee summit family car the lease is up May 2019. Just want to know the main difference between the 2 models and hear from members. My father has a 14 2 door Rubicon it does ride rough due to the off road tire it comes with. I don’t know if there been changes made in the 19 JLU or maybe with a longer wheel base that the 4 door have it might be better.
Mine is a 2018, but just go in there get a JLUR with everything, just like ordering a burger. :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

Mine is a 2018, but just go in there get a JLUR with everything, just like ordering a burger. :like:

That’s pretty much what I’m going to do. :LOL:

You said you wanted to "build" a JLU. You didn't say the intended use and/or outcome.

Many the classic off-road suspension and tire mods detract from the on-road driveability. Lifting any vehicle raises the center of gravity and cornering and emergency maneuvering are compromised. Larger tires are heavier and increase unsprung weight, which causes tires to lose contact with the road when bumps are encountered, especially noticeable during cornering. Increased unsprung weight also makes ride quality suffer. Off-road tires tend to have taller sidewalls, which decreases tread stability and steering response. Really aggressive off-road tread has less tread stability, and usually doesn't have braking and cornering on-road traction that a street tire provides. So, a Jeep JLU is not going to ride, handle, or steer, anywhere near as civil as a Grand Cherokee on the road, and likely less so, the more you make it more off-road capable.
Just to have it sit inform of my house. Hahaha I say that bc I lease a GC for 3 years and it’s going back with 15,000 miles on a 36,000 mile lease program. I want to do some lite to medium off-roading I’m not one to really mod a vehicle so I won’t be adding larger tires or lift.

For me the Sahara and Rubicon are just a few dollars off from each other after I’m finished building it on Jeeps web site. 57k for Sahara and 60k for the Rubicon

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

That's one thing that people on here like about the full-time 4WD, easy for those who don't know how to or want to mess with shifting transfer case. I think the decision between Sahara and Rubicon really comes down to what you are going to do with it and how much you want to spend on it. Most would agree that a Rubicon is better, but of course there is a price to pay for the increased off-road ability. I (for one) decided I didn't want/need it.
I don’t mind shifting the 4x4 “ I had an 2003 wrangler” at first I though about my wife since it will be mostly her car but then it hit me she don’t drive in snow or when 4x4 is needed.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Any JLU will be very capable off-road compared to a GC. For the off-road part, I think you'll be happy either way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

I think my main concern is if I add the anti-spin differential to the Sahara it will come with all terrain tires instead or all season, so is there much of a ride difference between all terrain and off road tires.
Sponsored