Sponsored

I’m looking at a 2023 4-door Sahara with 3.6 6-cyl gas engine. It was suggested this engine is the way to go vs diesel or hybrid. Please share info

Kahunadave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Etorque; 2015 GrCherokee ltd 2wd
Occupation
Auto Lending
I think someone already said this... Think about what Youre gonna be using your jeep for most of the time, and what kind of mods youre going to do.

I have the 3.6 in my 2015 GC and its decent. My other veh is the 2.0T etorque and its pretty damn impressive and gets over 20mpg when im not driving over 70. Its become my dd ,but I just chaged out the wheels and tires and plan on doing some light trails also.

like someone also said.. get out and drive a couple of them..before deciding.
Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
We have the 3.6 and love it, It’s our second 3.6. The first one lasted 220k in our grand caravan and I beat the hell out of that thing lol. Great motor and has plenty of power for what it is.

2.0t definitely feels more peppy because of the power curve, it was fun to drive but what an awful sounding motor! Lol

For us as well, this Jeep is my wife’s and she wants to keep this for as long as possible and I feel more confident with the reliability out of the 3.6 vs the 2.0. Especially after this summer and seeing all the 2.0’s with the loose water pump bolts and spewing their coolant out. Literally dozens of posts on my Jeep groups about it. No thanks! Lol

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Drive both and choose. As said, diesel fuel prices are ridiculously high and mpg savings don't even come close to making up for the price difference anymore.

Lots have owned the 3.6 and choose it over others because they'd rather buy the devil they know, than gamble on another engine. And the 3.6 has proven very reliable.

When the 2.0L came out, it was very problematic. Actually not true, the 2.0L biggest problem was the incompetence of the Jeep techs. Ever since the techs started to have a clue how it works, it's been a pretty good engine. But most Jeep techs remain incompetent.

I'd steer clear of the 4xe, solely for the reason mentionned above. Sooner than later, they will start having issues and if anything like the 2.0L, owners will lose their jeeps for weeks and months until the techs learn how to address the simplest of problems.

I'd probably go with the 2.0L for the mpg economy, but must admit I like the nice 3.6 rumbling sound.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
Guess I'm a "Sexual Tyrannosaurus" based on the list of engines from page 1. I wouldn't call my arms short though.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I custom ordered the 3.6, no eTorque. I specifically wanted this engine as it's very proven and the mostly likely to be maintainable outside the US.

Would I like the MPG of the desiel or torque of the 4xe or 392? Sure, but those come at costs and I'm happy with what I have and would not change even if I could.

Sponsored

HuskerJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR - Black
I had a 2020 Rubicon 2.0T, engine had pep, good mpg 19-20, but sounded like crap with the windows down or the door off. Traded her in with 22K miles and got a 2021 Rubicon XR 3.6 etorque. Etorque works great, very smooth, and the 3.6 sounds a lot better.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Not sure the OP is even still following, but I have the 4xe and just turned 20k miles with no issues. If you have the right use case, it's great. I work within electric range and charge at home every night. Currently at about 1200 miles on my latest tank of gas with about 3/8 of a tank left to go. Winter has arrived, so I'll likely start going through a bit more gas as cold and heaters kill the range.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Make sure you gho through gas faster than 6 months and or add fuel stabalizer

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I’m looking at a new 2023 4-door Sahara with 3.6 6-cyl gas engine. It was suggested this engine is the way to go vs diesel or hybrid. Please share info
Drive all the options, then make your decision. Either way its a Jeep, and im sure youll love it, for the most part.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
if you do end up ordering a Jeep with the 3.6, get the factory cold air intake option. You'll thank me later! (It's more for the awesome sound rather than power)

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Stay with that simple V6. The other motors are French Peugeot motors. The 3.6 is the same motor in all gladiators, Dodge trucks. Parts are cheap everywhere forever. That cannot be said about the diesel or the hybrid 2.0.

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
I. Driven a 2.0 in 2019 and remember it being being pretty underpowered. I have a 3.6 e torque now and have no complaints even with 37s

you won’t go wrong with the 3.6 e torque

76_iron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
Stay with that simple V6. The other motors are French Peugeot motors. The 3.6 is the same motor in all gladiators, Dodge trucks. Parts are cheap everywhere forever. That cannot be said about the diesel or the hybrid 2.0.
Don't think I've heard an aluminium dual overhead cam 24-valve v6 engine called simple before I got on this forum.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I know this may anger the Turbo Hamster Wheel 2.0 owners but every one I’ve rented, ridden in, driven, or been around has sounded like smashed ass. I couldn’t subject myself to that cacophony every day if it had 720 torques. Worst sounding engine ever

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
3.6 is a great engine overall. My 2nd one I’ve owned and been a great engine.
Sponsored