Sponsored

I’m gonna say it, I hate the JL driver seat!

Do you like your JL driver seat?

• Total voters

mwronkow

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
This is a bit long winded and was originally a reply to a post, so I figured I share it as a new post.

I hate the JL driver seat! Let me explain why.

After a few months of owning a JK, I realized I didn’t like the driver seat because the seat cushion was too long and my feet couldn’t comfortably rest on the ground while I drove, and I found that the seat/steering wheel distance was always a bit off/uncomfortable for me. I started struggling with back pain that driving the Jeep only made worse, but have been medically diagnosed more than once as not having any back injuries, so I know it’s not just me.

When I first test drove the JL when it first came out I loved it. I was so excited that I could finally drive a Jeep without back pain and the steering wheel felt like it was more adjustable to me, so I traded in the otherwise awesome JK 2 door with 37’s... *sigh*

After a month or 2 of the JL, I was uncomfortable in the driver seat and realized that the passenger seat was a lot more comfortable to me. No matter what I did to the driver seat I could not get it in a comfortable position, and I was experiencing even more pain from the JL than the pain the JK seemed to cause me on a regular basis. It got to a point where I couldn’t and didn’t want to drive it at all, and I let the wife use it full time while I used the old Toyota Yaris, which is actually very comfortable to me.

After a few more months of frustration with the Jeep I decided to disassemble the passenger seat and driver seat to figure out why the heck they felt so different. It turns out the passenger seat has a flat back design, where the driver seat has a built in lumbar that cannot be flattened out it can only be increased. This permanent lumbar curve causes me moderate pain in my L3-L5 lumbar while driving and even for days after driving it, even for >1 hour at a time. I have to get treatment from a my chiropractor to find relief, which will stay that way as long as I stay out of the driver side of the Jeep. At this point I only drive the JL when it’s snowing and I have to go to work and I need 4wd, then I suffer again..

If I wasn’t so upside down on the Jeep I would have sold it 3 months after I purchased it. The JL wrangler has the most uncomfortable driver seat out of all the vehicles I have ever owned, and it genuinely hurts me to say that because other than that I love the JL Wrangler. However, the passenger seat is crazy confortable to me! I can sit in it for hours no problem. My wife on the other hand has no problem with the driver seat, and she’s 5’1”.

My plan is to either attempt to purchase replacement parts from a JL passenger seat to make the driver seat flat by removing the interior permanent lumbar assembly, or maybe just sell it when I’m no longer upside down. I don’t really want aftermarket seats, I’d rather just get rid of it because it’s not worth the risk of buying seats I don’t like and risk not being able to return them or whatever headache that brings.

On the other hand, I love the fact that the seats bottoms are more flat with less backward lean, because it’s actually better for your back to have your knees lower than your hips while you sit. This allows your back to sit more upright without slumping/slouching. I also am not a fan of the headrests, but they do turn around so you can still have something behind your head in case of a collision. So that’s a win.

By the way, I’m a 5’6”, very active and seemingly healthy 29 year old veteran. I don’t have any joint problems and I’m not overweight. No traumatic injuries, and im able to lift heavy weights without issues on a regular basis.

Side note: For those who winced when I said chiropractor, let me just clarify that I don’t use traditional chiropractic which is probably more likely to cause you pain and problems in the long run(which for me it did), and I had never used any chiropractic before I started having issues with my back in my JK. After trying various therapies and types of chiropractic, I only get treated by ABC which is an objective way to identify and correct only the bones that go out of place in a position the body cannot self correct, which allows the rest of the body to unwind and self correct. It’s the only one that I believe works.

The wrap up my boring life story, I’m envious that most of you have no issues with discomfort in your Jeep. I wish I could drive my Jeep, and it really sucks when you make that payment every month just to never use it. I’d love to own a Gladiator one day, if only I can solve this personal problem of mine. If anyone is interested, maybe I will follow up with results of my driver seat rebuild come summer time.

Take care!

O||||||O
Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Funny, I'm a 5'6" veteran and not attractive, and I love my seat. Maybe you said active.
Anyway get to know a back dr. At 40 I've already had back surgery.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
At 5,443 miles since a 12/7/18 delivery, I find the driver’s seat and driving position to be quite comfortable on and offroad. Long road trips have not presented any issues.

The addition of a M.O.R.E. dead pedal enhanced the comfort even more.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
No, I love the seat. I had the same problem with VW seats though, they were so bad I thought I legitimately had a back problem for a while (Golf R). Ended getting out of it and I haven't even been reminded of that horrible year until now .

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Is it fair to assume there are different seats (not just the leather/cloth coverings) for the different JLs? I'd venture to say the driver's seat in my Moab is one of the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in, thought so since day one almost 3 months ago. I'm 40, overweight and have had back problems/surgery and I have zero complaints.

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My only gripe is that I need it to be an inch lower. My torso is too long so I can't comfortably look at my dash and see the top of the cluster. I have to dip my head down to see it

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i chime in, i dont think my rubicon cloth seat is comfortable for anything past 30 minutes of sitting.

i do plan for a suspension seat upgrade sooner or later.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Sorry about your seat. I was actually thinking on Monday as I was sitting in B2B traffic in the pouring rain about how surprisingly comfortable INDOMINUS is. My wife drives a big Tahoe XL and I would say short of the seat heaters which I opted to not get my seats are as comfortable as the ones in the Tahoe. I had a Honda Fit and a Scion tC before and both of them caused some wicked pain/numbness in my right hip/buttock. I am 6'1" and of phenomenal weight and build.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I wish the seat had an angle adjustment.

I just added the MORE dead pedal and it helped substantially. Hated not being able to brace against anything.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly wish my Jeep had MORE lumbar support. As a veteran myself constantly wearing body armor has got my back bending the wrong way... Fortunately I get to drive my Jeep to the VA for my Chiropractor appointments.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My only gripe is that I need it to be an inch lower. My torso is too long so I can't comfortably look at my dash and see the top of the cluster. I have to dip my head down to see it
Forgot about that - agreed!

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
We had one of the original Mazda MPV minivans. I would drive that thing for 30 minutes and my right knee would hurt so bad I’d have to get out and let my wife drive. I don’t know what about that seat that was so horrible, but I’d be in agony
driving. No one else seemed to have that problem.
I’ve put over 4K miles on my wrangler and have driven as much as 6 hours in a day. The seats are fine. I almost said they were great, but I’ve probabaly had more comfortable ones. Just can’t recall which car. I only wish I had heated seats. Even in Florida that can come in handy during long drives.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Opposite experience for me. Lumbar support was one of the top reasons I waited for the JL vs buying a 2017 JK. (Jeep is my DD on a long, shitty commute.)

Everyone’s anatomy is different...

AstroDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davescosmos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I find the seat comfortable but as others have said it doesn't go low enough for me. I am only 5`11" but have a long torso. If I could drop it another 1-2" that would be great. I drove it 300 miles the other day and found it perfectly fine.
Sponsored