Sponsored

I’m gonna say it, I hate the JL driver seat!

Do you like your JL driver seat?

• Total voters

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Forgot about that - agreed!
AND the mirror right in the face.... which is very dangerous, as I have to stoop down to see what going on behind the mirror at corners/lights/turning.. and as well the missing top portion of the electronic cluster..

Sorry if this has been brought up and beaten to death.
- Would have been better for them to put the emrg buttons up in the molding/roof line not in the stem holding the mirror, to which they could have raised the mirror at least 1.5" and that would make a huge difference in line of sight.

BUT the seats are of comfort for me, being 6'1" tall and 205lbs, with the manual there is no room for a dead pedal, but since I have long...everything I can sit comfortably with my left foot flat on the floor.
Sponsored

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
This is a bit long winded and was originally a reply to a post, so I figured I share it as a new post.

I hate the JL driver seat! Let me explain why.

After a few months of owning a JK, I realized I didn’t like the driver seat because the seat cushion was too long and my feet couldn’t comfortably rest on the ground while I drove, and I found that the seat/steering wheel distance was always a bit off/uncomfortable for me. I started struggling with back pain that driving the Jeep only made worse, but have been medically diagnosed more than once as not having any back injuries, so I know it’s not just me.

When I first test drove the JL when it first came out I loved it. I was so excited that I could finally drive a Jeep without back pain and the steering wheel felt like it was more adjustable to me, so I traded in the otherwise awesome JK 2 door with 37’s... *sigh*

After a month or 2 of the JL, I was uncomfortable in the driver seat and realized that the passenger seat was a lot more comfortable to me. No matter what I did to the driver seat I could not get it in a comfortable position, and I was experiencing even more pain from the JL than the pain the JK seemed to cause me on a regular basis. It got to a point where I couldn’t and didn’t want to drive it at all, and I let the wife use it full time while I used the old Toyota Yaris, which is actually very comfortable to me.

After a few more months of frustration with the Jeep I decided to disassemble the passenger seat and driver seat to figure out why the heck they felt so different. It turns out the passenger seat has a flat back design, where the driver seat has a built in lumbar that cannot be flattened out it can only be increased. This permanent lumbar curve causes me moderate pain in my L3-L5 lumbar while driving and even for days after driving it, even for >1 hour at a time. I have to get treatment from a my chiropractor to find relief, which will stay that way as long as I stay out of the driver side of the Jeep. At this point I only drive the JL when it’s snowing and I have to go to work and I need 4wd, then I suffer again..

If I wasn’t so upside down on the Jeep I would have sold it 3 months after I purchased it. The JL wrangler has the most uncomfortable driver seat out of all the vehicles I have ever owned, and it genuinely hurts me to say that because other than that I love the JL Wrangler. However, the passenger seat is crazy confortable to me! I can sit in it for hours no problem. My wife on the other hand has no problem with the driver seat, and she’s 5’1”.

My plan is to either attempt to purchase replacement parts from a JL passenger seat to make the driver seat flat by removing the interior permanent lumbar assembly, or maybe just sell it when I’m no longer upside down. I don’t really want aftermarket seats, I’d rather just get rid of it because it’s not worth the risk of buying seats I don’t like and risk not being able to return them or whatever headache that brings.

On the other hand, I love the fact that the seats bottoms are more flat with less backward lean, because it’s actually better for your back to have your knees lower than your hips while you sit. This allows your back to sit more upright without slumping/slouching. I also am not a fan of the headrests, but they do turn around so you can still have something behind your head in case of a collision. So that’s a win.

By the way, I’m a 5’6”, very active and seemingly healthy 29 year old veteran. I don’t have any joint problems and I’m not overweight. No traumatic injuries, and im able to lift heavy weights without issues on a regular basis.

Side note: For those who winced when I said chiropractor, let me just clarify that I don’t use traditional chiropractic which is probably more likely to cause you pain and problems in the long run(which for me it did), and I had never used any chiropractic before I started having issues with my back in my JK. After trying various therapies and types of chiropractic, I only get treated by ABC which is an objective way to identify and correct only the bones that go out of place in a position the body cannot self correct, which allows the rest of the body to unwind and self correct. It’s the only one that I believe works.

The wrap up my boring life story, I’m envious that most of you have no issues with discomfort in your Jeep. I wish I could drive my Jeep, and it really sucks when you make that payment every month just to never use it. I’d love to own a Gladiator one day, if only I can solve this personal problem of mine. If anyone is interested, maybe I will follow up with results of my driver seat rebuild come summer time.

Take care!

O||||||O
How about this idea. Order a passenger seat from a right hand drive UK or Australian JL and use it in place of the driver seat on your JL. Mounts should be the same and you’ll have the adjusters on the proper side.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
This is a bit long winded and was originally a reply to a post, so I figured I share it as a new post.

After a few months of owning a JK, I realized I didn’t like the driver seat because the seat cushion was too long and my feet couldn’t comfortably rest on the ground while I drove, and I found that the seat/steering wheel distance was always a bit off/uncomfortable for me. I started struggling with back pain that driving the Jeep only made worse, but have been medically diagnosed more than once as not having any back injuries, so I know it’s not just me.

When I first test drove the JL when it first came out I loved it. I was so excited that I could finally drive a Jeep without back pain and the steering wheel felt like it was more adjustable to me, so I traded in the otherwise awesome JK 2 door with 37’s... *sigh*

After a month or 2 of the JL, I was uncomfortable in the driver seat and realized that the passenger seat was a lot more comfortable to me. No matter what I did to the driver seat I could not get it in a comfortable position, and I was experiencing even more pain from the JL than the pain the JK seemed to cause me on a regular basis. It got to a point where I couldn’t and didn’t want to drive it at all, and I let the wife use it full time while I used the old Toyota Yaris, which is actually very comfortable to me.

After a few more months of frustration with the Jeep I decided to disassemble the passenger seat and driver seat to figure out why the heck they felt so different. It turns out the passenger seat has a flat back design, where the driver seat has a built in lumbar that cannot be flattened out it can only be increased. This permanent lumbar curve causes me moderate pain in my L3-L5 lumbar while driving and even for days after driving it, even for >1 hour at a time. I have to get treatment from a my chiropractor to find relief, which will stay that way as long as I stay out of the driver side of the Jeep. At this point I only drive the JL when it’s snowing and I have to go to work and I need 4wd, then I suffer again..

If I wasn’t so upside down on the Jeep I would have sold it 3 months after I purchased it. The JL wrangler has the most uncomfortable driver seat out of all the vehicles I have ever owned, and it genuinely hurts me to say that because other than that I love the JL Wrangler. However, the passenger seat is crazy confortable to me! I can sit in it for hours no problem. My wife on the other hand has no problem with the driver seat, and she’s 5’1”.

My plan is to either attempt to purchase replacement parts from a JL passenger seat to make the driver seat flat by removing the interior permanent lumbar assembly, or maybe just sell it when I’m no longer upside down. I don’t really want aftermarket seats, I’d rather just get rid of it because it’s not worth the risk of buying seats I don’t like and risk not being able to return them or whatever headache that brings.

On the other hand, I love the fact that the seats bottoms are more flat with less backward lean, because it’s actually better for your back to have your knees lower than your hips while you sit. This allows your back to sit more upright without slumping/slouching. I also am not a fan of the headrests, but they do turn around so you can still have something behind your head in case of a collision. So that’s a win.

By the way, I’m a 5’6”, very active and seemingly healthy 29 year old veteran. I don’t have any joint problems and I’m not overweight. No traumatic injuries, and im able to lift heavy weights without issues on a regular basis.

Side note: For those who winced when I said chiropractor, let me just clarify that I don’t use traditional chiropractic which is probably more likely to cause you pain and problems in the long run(which for me it did), and I had never used any chiropractic before I started having issues with my back in my JK. After trying various therapies and types of chiropractic, I only get treated by ABC which is an objective way to identify and correct only the bones that go out of place in a position the body cannot self correct, which allows the rest of the body to unwind and self correct. It’s the only one that I believe works.

The wrap up my boring life story, I’m envious that most of you have no issues with discomfort in your Jeep. I wish I could drive my Jeep, and it really sucks when you make that payment every month just to never use it. I’d love to own a Gladiator one day, if only I can solve this personal problem of mine. If anyone is interested, maybe I will follow up with results of my driver seat rebuild come summer time.

Take care!

O||||||O
You can buy new seats or have them recovered and lumbar taken out.

MikeHoncho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Honda CBR600RR - 15 Golf GTI - Wrangler Rubicon JL to Follow
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance
I don't mind the seats at all. I just wished Jeep would use the same style from the 19 Ram Rebel, using a combination of leather and cloth. I think that would go well with the Rubicon JL specially if they put a Tire print.

50.jpg

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

Take care!

O||||||O
I find the seat very comfortable. 5"9 185l.bs. My wife is 5'11 140. She loves the seats. I'm wondering if the issue you're having is more to do with the upright seating position of the vehicle. We have leather seats. Not sure if the cloth is worse for some. I will say that my brother has a Chrysler 300 and told me that most other vehicles hurt his back because the seat back curve is not flat enough. The 300 has a very flat seat back with no arch so in his case he's more comfortable with that seat. The reason I mention this is perhaps when you need is a seat that is flat against your back as you more or less stated. Rather then get rid of the Jeep there are many aftermarket seat companies that you might be able to fit in your Jeep and replace the drives seat. Other then that maybe some kind of seat back support at stores like "Relax The Back" might help you with. Good luck.

JLU4TJ

I would be happier if the base of the seat were just a few inches longer....my previous SUV had a piece that manually extended. I also would like to be able to tip the position of the seat upwards at the front...not the entire seat.

Is it going to happen...no
Oh well....still love my Jeep!

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
MWRonkow said:
“By the way, I’m a 5’6”, very active and seemingly healthy 29 year old veteran. I don’t have any joint problems and I’m not overweight. No traumatic injuries, and im able to lift heavy weights without issues on a regular basis.”

First thank you for your service in the military! Suffering Back pain is a very unique experience. No two persons will experience the exact symptoms. That said.....the seat in the JL is not a bad seat.....it’s actually a great seat. But for you it is torturous....and you should find a good solution for it. You had to be damn brave and desperate to have taken both seats apart seeking answers to comfort your back pain.....and you had to have really loved that Jeep to go to all that effort to find the difference. Taking apart the seats is NOT an easy task. You my friend are a proud Jeep owner who is determined to resolve your issue. I hope you find the solution to make driving enjoyable for you. When you do (and I know you will) let us all know......and take some photos for the next person who may benefit from your experience.

BTW I am 5’8”, active, healthy 57 year old Veteran of 20 years; Airborne, Air Assault, Sapper, Scuba Diver.
I still lead a life of daily adventure.....So what else would I drive ? A Jeep Rubicon JL is the only land based vehicle that lives up to my lifestyle.

Get that seat fixed and enjoy the ride

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m gonna say it...cry baby post! Looking at the polling this is most likely a personal problem...

upload_2019-2-18_13-24-33.png
He said he’s opting to drive a Yaris over his Jeep.
It would be a cry baby post if he was saying his car seat should be as comfortable as his couch.

I’m having the same problem as the OP. I’d also prefer to have the option of lying completely flat. Between that and the headrest/restraint, I’m just hoping to get used to it.
I don’t doubt for a second that it’s comfortable for some. No two bodies are exactly the same.
I plan on adding some support at the base of the seat as someone else suggested. I don’t remember the seat being uncomfortable at all when I test drove one.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
He said he’s opting to drive a Yaris over his Jeep.
It would be a cry baby post if he was saying his car seat should be as comfortable as his couch.

I’m having the same problem as the OP. I’d also prefer to have the option of lying completely flat. Between that and the headrest/restraint, I’m just hoping to get used to it.
I don’t doubt for a second that it’s comfortable for some. No two bodies are exactly the same.
I plan on adding some support at the base of the seat as someone else suggested. I don’t remember the seat being uncomfortable at all when I test drove one.
People come to the forum to gain knowledge. Constructive posts start with, "I'm having an issue and looking for help". This forum has valuable info and has saved me thousands of dollars when purchasing our JLR. When writing a post with "hate" in the title, it rarely brings constructive solutions. Thus, "cry baby post" seems to fit, especially when the poll proves a personal problem for you and the OP.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to trade your Jeep in for a Mercedes G-wagon, albeit the 2019 model is hard to come by right now. It will cost a lot more $ than a Jeep, but it is an even more capable off-road vehicle than a Jeep, and it is extremely comfortable.
Sorry, I don't listen to someone that has a 2019 MB G63 and a 2019 S63 in their vehicle profile but no Jeep.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
I find it very comfortable, average height and build.. Better then my JK Seats

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
People come to the forum to gain knowledge. Constructive posts start with, "I'm having an issue and looking for help". This forum has valuable info and has saved me thousands of dollars when purchasing our JLR. When writing a post with "hate" in the title, it rarely brings constructive solutions. Thus, "cry baby post" seems to fit, especially when the poll proves a personal problem for you and the OP.
"It rarely brings constructive solutions"... except that it did. In four pages you're the only one that gave a nonconstructive (obnoxious) response.
Look past the title and you'd see that he made a detailed post describing his concerns with the seat, possible solutions he's come up with including dismantling the seat and offering to share his results. It's a constructive post and got constructive responses.
Snarky responses to a legitimate concern derails threads (see?) and detracts from forums. Provocative thread titles aren't the problem.
Sponsored