Sponsored

I’m finally finished with my build! Hope to give others ideals for their build.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@James thanks for sharing your great build. Clearly you did so much more than simply put together manufacturer's products: not that this can't at times itself be a major feat. You "home brewed" things too.

It's funny to me that the second sentence of your thread title reads "Hope to give others ideas for their build," because I've been toying with an idea as a result of looking at your build. Right now it's only a pipe (no pun intended) dream that may prove an engineering no no, but here goes.

Like you I enjoy building stuff for my rig. I've been toying in my mind with devising a hard top hoist system that's hitch based, such that if would allow you to take your hard top off at a destination, short of dragging something like a Top Lift Pro with you. There's another product out there (the TopOff) that provides portable top removal/placement but it involves drilling into the hard top and IMHO is relatively slow in its function and need to crank the hard top up from both sides of the rig.

hoist.jpg

I brain stormed it here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-jeep-hacks-show-em-off-here.18785/page-7#post-485270 , am actual working on it, and its not turning out to be that hard so far (I know, famous last words, I'm not done yet.)

Anyway, I know your Gobi rack has ability to allow Freedom Panels to be removed, especially with the inserts you bought from them. But with your tent on, I envision that removal of such panels would be challenging especially in light of the weight on the Gobi rack of your tent precluding tilting it back, or the tent's large footprint allowing the Freedom Panels to be removed by pushing them straight up to the sky.

Then I said, why couldn't the above be repurposed to attach the winch cable to the front of the unlocked Gobi rack, even with the tent and other weight on it, and crank it up enough to at least take the Freedom Panels out, or the Soft Top Down?

...just food for thought.:) Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
@James tell the truth. Were you really done? I have said that a few times and wife pulls the credit card statements like an irs auditor. Also requiring financial compensation.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Really love this build. What is measurement from Ground to highest point with Kamper closed? Over 85 inches?
Not 100% sure, it just fits in my garage without the Ikamper on it

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Great looking rig! Our Jeeps are/will be very similar. If you take a look at my build thread you'll see a lot of similarity. I've got a good friend in HB who is also into overlanding. He's got a Dune colored JKU with a Gobi rack, etc... We've got some pretty good trips planned if you're interested. I'll PM you some info...
Hey

Yeah I replied to your PM
Love to join you folks or have you meet up with us on one of our trips

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
@James thanks for sharing your great build. Clearly you did so much more than simply put together manufacturer's products: not that this can't at times itself be a major feat. You "home brewed" things too.

It's funny to me that the second sentence of your thread title reads "Hope to give others ideas for their build," because I've been toying with an idea as a result of looking at your build. Right now it's only a pipe (no pun intended) dream that may prove an engineering no no, but here goes.

Like you I enjoy building stuff for my rig. I've been toying in my mind with devising a hard top hoist system that's hitch based, such that if would allow you to take your hard top off at a destination, short of dragging something like a Top Lift Pro with you. There's another product out there (the TopOff) that provides portable top removal/placement but it involves drilling into the hard top and IMHO is relatively slow in its function and need to crank the hard top up from both sides of the rig.

hoist.jpg

I brain stormed it here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-jeep-hacks-show-em-off-here.18785/page-7#post-485270 , am actual working on it, and its not turning out to be that hard so far (I know, famous last words, I'm not done yet.)

Anyway, I know your Gobi rack has ability to allow Freedom Panels to be removed, especially with the inserts you bought from them. But with your tent on, I envision that removal of such panels would be challenging especially in light of the weight on the Gobi rack of your tent precluding tilting it back, or the tent's large footprint allowing the Freedom Panels to be removed by pushing them straight up to the sky.

Then I said, why couldn't the above be repurposed to attach the winch cable to the front of the unlocked Gobi rack, even with the tent and other weight on it, and crank it up enough to at least take the Freedom Panels out, or the Soft Top Down?

...just food for thought.:) Thanks for sharing.
Hey

Sound interesting,
Once the Ikamper is installed there is no way to get the freedom panels off. The Ikamper takes up the entire roof.
Their is a company who makes a roof remover for the jk and I think the JL. Me personally, I’ll never remove my top. When we are out on the trails I’m either the tail or finding a way through an obstacle and back to being the tail. I tend to eat a lot of dust from all the other jeeps.
Love your ideal!

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
@James tell the truth. Were you really done? I have said that a few times and wife pulls the credit card statements like an irs auditor. Also requiring financial compensation.
Lol
Yeah, I had to stop spending for awhile. The funny part is I have already started a list of items that I want to get next year. Having to figure out how to get is past my wife is going to be the problem. This photo was from yesterday

0F9DFFC0-C0C8-44C3-A0BE-359B7FB3F875.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey

Sound interesting,
Once the Ikamper is installed there is no way to get the freedom panels off. The Ikamper takes up the entire roof.
Their is a company who makes a roof remover for the jk and I think the JL. Me personally, I’ll never remove my top. When we are out on the trails I’m either the tail or finding a way through an obstacle and back to being the tail. I tend to eat a lot of dust from all the other jeeps.
Love your ideal!

I respect this. ;)Allow us to agree that we repurpose the idea to scare the living daylights out of our better halfs, as they sleep comfortably in the tents while we play a practical joke on them from outside with the winch.

For this alone I'd do the build! :)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Lol
Yeah, I had to stop spending for awhile. The funny part is I have already started a list of items that I want to get next year. Having to figure out how to get is past my wife is going to be the problem. This photo was from yesterday

Satire

@Martindfletcher , @James , allow me (I say in mock sensei mode).

;)You must, through careful and diligent training, master the skills of the "timed buy," and the well kept secret for 1000s of years in my family, passed down to me from my parents, and my grandparents to them (etc.) of the "sneak return."

Shhh!! don't say it out loud!!!;)

The timed buy, as the name suggests, involves a well thought out plan of not simply what you intend on getting for your rig, but equally if not more important, when (as in what credit card billing period) you acquire it.

Think of it this way..in order to traverse the bumpy terrain with one's rig, we must traverse the glass like surface of highway that metaphorically is our credit card statement.;)

As for the sneak return, "grasshopper" (this is only funny if you've seen the TV series Kung Fu with David Carradine) we acquire an expensive tool in billing period one, that we had not the least intention on using, and return it in billing period two, thereby establishing the road as smooth as (if not as rough as broken pieces of) glass when the statement arrives.

This is a fine balance, no different that the Karate Kid balanced on a log with one leg in the air for periods of time, in which the smooth road paved with glass can shatter.

I wish you well on your journeys, grasshoppers.;)

(P.S. my wife's pretty good about my purchases, which have been limited.)

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Hey
Yes, it was a job and half.
All aluminum.
I’m thinking of building the same thing out of carbon fiber over Christmas.
I forgot to post these pic of the rear light

94FE63D0-2549-4E71-B385-BC57FFCEB0E7.jpeg

AD83DDF4-276E-4FEE-A23B-B380604C3D2B.jpeg

9A539875-5904-4889-A445-3F5DEBB3D1E1.jpeg
What is the rear light? And how is it mounted? Thanks!

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
i would be interested in buying those shelves, can you make another one, and sell it? message me, thanks. nice build

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I respect this. ;)Allow us to agree that we repurpose the idea to scare the living daylights out of our better halfs, as they sleep comfortably in the tents while we play a practical joke on them from outside with the winch.

For this alone I'd do the build! :)
Every time I read your post I crack up! Seriously!

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Satire

@Martindfletcher , @James , allow me (I say in mock sensei mode).

;)You must, through careful and diligent training, master the skills of the "timed buy," and the well kept secret for 1000s of years in my family, passed down to me from my parents, and my grandparents to them (etc.) of the "sneak return."

Shhh!! don't say it out loud!!!;)

The timed buy, as the name suggests, involves a well thought out plan of not simply what you intend on getting for your rig, but equally if not more important, when (as in what credit card billing period) you acquire it.

Think of it this way..in order to traverse the bumpy terrain with one's rig, we must traverse the glass like surface of highway that metaphorically is our credit card statement.;)

As for the sneak return, "grasshopper" (this is only funny if you've seen the TV series Kung Fu with David Carradine) we acquire an expensive tool in billing period one, that we had not the least intention on using, and return it in billing period two, thereby establishing the road as smooth as (if not as rough as broken pieces of) glass when the statement arrives.

This is a fine balance, no different that the Karate Kid balanced on a log with one leg in the air for periods of time, in which the smooth road paved with glass can shatter.

I wish you well on your journeys, grasshoppers.;)

(P.S. my wife's pretty good about my purchases, which have been limited.)
Omg what a great post young grasshopper!
My wife clipped me with the Amex alert app on her phone! It lets her know every time their is a new charge! Darn Technology has clipped the master of catching the mailman the day he was delivering the Amex bill as so he could hide what he has purchased in secret.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
What is the rear light? And how is it mounted? Thanks!
I used a Baja design rock light, drilled two holes and mounted it with a zip tie.
The light comes with a mounting bracket for using a zip tie mounting option.

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Lol

How did you mount the front license plate?

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Now here's a guy whose credit card has certainly caught fire,....
Great build, and I agree with you about Marcus, he's top shelf.
Sponsored