Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I’d rather see Ford own the Jeep brand but I know that isn’t happening. Hyundai’s ownership would probably be the best thing to happen to FCA. They are very unlikely to move any production overseas. The chicken tax alone would guarantee the production of pickups remains in the North America. I totally agree with others that quality would skyrocket.

However I would also take the rumor with a bit of salt. This was likely PR put out by the Elliot Management. These guys are assholes. They buy about 1% of a company and then start raising hell to get the company to either sell itself or buy someone else. They are there for one purpose and that is to raise the stock price of something so they can sell out and make a profit. They don’t really give a damn about anything else.
Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO, the thought of having of a 5 year 60k bumper to bumper, and 10 year 100k powertrain warranty standard on a Jeep would be awesome! Not to mention, Hyundai almost always offers 0% financing.

BTW, Have you seen the Hyundai Kona? The front of that thing looks like they stole the design from the 2014-2018 Jeep Cherokee anyway.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Which is likely why the welds on the JL are utter shit. Never had a JK but the welds on my 20 yr old TJ and the once on my YJ were a hell of a lot better than this.
Hyundai Mobis does not weld the Jeep frames. They only assemble the chassis components and drivetrain. The frames are made by Tower International in Michigan. KUKA makes the bodies. FCA does paint and final assembly.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
I'd welcome this for improved QC thus better reliability. I'm hesitant though because you never really know how committed they'd be to the Jeep brand. As in, would they stay true to the heritage?

Sponsored

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
It would make sense for them to embrace the heritage.
They have a quality product, what they don't have is a household name.
A brand like Jeep is rare and not in competition with Hyundai.
Mercedes-Benz was a too big name for Jeep and they saw them as an in house competitor.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Feb 12 2018.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Nice try ...what the hell is that supposed to mean? I read on here that hundai welded frames. If im wrong so be it. That said hundai was also busted a few years back for misrepresenting the horsepower on their vehicles. iirc some were inflated by 100hp. Not a fan of crooked companies.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Nice try ...what the hell is that supposed to mean? I read on here that hundai welded frames. If im wrong so be it. That said hundai was also busted a few years back for misrepresenting the horsepower on their vehicles. iirc some were inflated by 100hp. Not a fan of crooked companies.
I think that it’s great you’re a person of standards and integrity. Might want to sell your FCA vehicle...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/news/companies/epa-emissions-cheating-fiat-chrysler/index.html

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/0...alty-settle-diesel-emissions-cheating-claims/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-03-16/chrysler-loses-bid-to-dimiss-diesel-emission-cheating-claims

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...knew-of-diesel-cheats-as-early-as-2010-report

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
How many different owners has the Jeep brand had in its history? How much has its “heritage” changed throughout the years?
This. It literally IS Jeep tradition and heritage to get whored out to the next suitor every 10-20 years. It's just the next generation--and Hyundai is probably the number one company I would want buying FCA. They're building better cars than the Japanese these days!!

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
:asshat::no:With Korean reunification on the horizon, Hyundai could outsource anything to the commie Kim regime as part of their economic collaboration at the Kaesŏng Industrial Complex—Hyundai is a major player in the Kaesŏng joint North-South manufacturing zone. :no::puke:

Hyundai also owns LG, ....better electronics? A better approach to the infotainment system?

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
About this news

A dinner party was held between an informant and an important official at Hyundai Kia
There was a question, why do you want to buy companies as you are a successful group?!

Summary of the dialogue that took place and answer the previous question
Desire to buy Tesla but the stock is too high and there is no real value in the market.
-The Korean company wishes to be the largest company in the world
-The desire to buy successful companies
-Important decisions are in the hands of the Korean company

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
To my knowledge, Hyundai Mobis just assembles the chassis components that are sourced from other vendors. They do not weld the frames. The frames are sourced from Tower International. The engines and auto tranny are made by FCA. Axles by Dana. Hyundai Mobis puts them together then hands off the finished chassis to FCA to mount the body and complete final assembly. That’s how it was done in Toledo South for the JK. Not sure if the same is true with the JL being produced in Toledo North plant.

With that being said, I don’t know who is responsible for ordering and QC’ing the frames, whether FCA or Hyundai.

Last edited:

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Reliability would go through the roof.
Which would have been laughed at 10+ years ago but Korean car brands have stepped it up in the last 5-7 years.

I would love Jeep to still be 100% American but unfortunately Chrysler couldn't keep it's crap together so... If a foreign company (except China...lol) can make the Jeep brand better then I am all for it. The new JL is great under FCA so we'll see if this latest rumor becomes anything.

Luckily Jeep will always be American at heart :flag:
Sponsored